SuperMacro v.3 Op-amp Comparisons/Review
Jun 26, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #31 of 60
Man! I'm really enjoying my SM V3 with OPA627s, but I'm eager to try AD843, AD797, and NE5534 w/Class A bias. There are probably more but sheesh, that'll be enough opamp rolling to keep me busy for a while. Does anyone have any extras of these that they'll give/sell? I know you can order them, but I might as well deal with a Head-Fier if I can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by biovizier
I have done quite a few comparisosns of opa627 with ad843 - I think the ad843 is ahead in my apps by a significant margin.

I knew it. As soon as I heard the AD843 my jaw went all the way down. It's like knocking heaven's door.
In Tangent's site he says that is the closest opponent of OPA626. I always had a good feeling about the AD843.
If the OPA626 has the kind of fullness sound the Ad843 provide or a little better, then I will be happier.
eggosmile.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #33 of 60
If you like the AD744 the best configuation is to use the Compensation Pin(5) as opposed to the normal output Pin(6) You do not want the Op amp class A bias activated with this configuation. Also i asume this Amp dose not require the opamp to drive the Headphones directly and uses a Buffer as an output stage since the comp pin is a low current output. an Easy plug and play solution is to install the 744 in a IC socket bend out pin 6 so as it dose not connect to anything and solder a jumder wire on the socket between Pin(6) and Pin(5) this will bypass the Op amps internal output stage and thus drive the Buffer in your amp directly from the AD744's Voltage gain stage that is a SE Class A.

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppl
If you like the AD744 the best configuation is to use the Compensation Pin(5) as opposed to the normal output Pin(6) You do not want the Op amp class A bias activated with this configuation. Also i asume this Amp dose not require the opamp to drive the Headphones directly and uses a Buffer as an output stage since the comp pin is a low current output.

Nice to hear another amp maker confirming the tweak. Was not sure this is a true class A tweak as I understood that was constant voltage related.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppl
an Easy plug and play solution is to install the 744 in a IC socket bend out pin 6 so as it dose not connect to anything and solder a jumder wire on the socket between Pin(6) and Pin(5) this will bypass the Op amps internal output stage and thus drive the Buffer in your amp directly from the AD744's Voltage gain stage that is a SE Class A.

That's basically the way Xin has shown how to do it (with pics on his forum). I bent pin 5 to fit in socket 6 on some cheap opamps Onsemi SA5534AN) removing pin 6 completely.

I'm having a play with the opamps I can get hold of before shoving some OPA627s I already have in there (I think the tweaking brings some of the cheaper opamps up to the 627 sound from what I've read).

Still looking for the 'golden child' of opamps for this amp - with or without the 5 pin tweak.

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #35 of 60
Hi all,

could you guys suggest a opamps which has the widest soundstage, good bass and sparkling high ?

am I asking too much ?
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

thanks

p.s I tried AD797 and opa637, I found 797 has a fuller sound and wider soundstage, while the 637 has more detail and better high.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by kithng
could you guys suggest a opamps which has the widest soundstage, good bass and sparkling high ? p.s I tried AD797 and opa637, I found 797 has a fuller sound and wider soundstage, while the 637 has more detail and better high.

Opamp w/Class A bias might be the way to go. A lot of SuperMacro V3 owners are reporting back with great results. I have not tried the "Class A bias" setup yet, I am awaiting the arrival of my "Output Bypass Adapter" from Xin to try "Class A Bias" -ing my SMv3.

If you want a wide soundstage, good bass, and sparkling highs have you tried the TI's 604 opamp? Analog's AD8610? I like the AD8610 alot, but it is not as bass resolving as the AD797 or the opa637, but the highs are very clear, the soundstage is wide, and vocals are beautifully resolved.

Also depends on what headphones you are using. I am using ETY ER4Ps canalphones and A900 headphones and the AD797 are my champ so far.

I really liked the NE5534 opamp in my SMv3, plenty of boomy bass with my ER4Ps, but its resolved output sound very warmish, and lacking the sparkle
in the high treble end. I am going to try the NE5534 Class A biased.

I haven't tried the AD743 yet.

Try "Class A bias" -ing your SM.

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Opamp w/Class A bias might be the way to go. A lot of SuperMacro V3 owners are reporting back with great results. I have not tried the "Class A bias" setup yet, I am awaiting the arrival of my "Output Bypass Adapter" from Xin to try "Class A Bias" -ing my SMv3.

Huh? What is this?
confused.gif
Is it an alternative to bending pins on the individual op amps?

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Huh? What is this?
confused.gif

They are available to purchase on the SM3 ordering page on Xin's website and that includes a link to a picture:

http://www.fixup.net/products/macro/P6210086s.jpg

These are just low profile 8 pin sockets with a jumper soldered from pin 5 to 6 so that you don't hve to bend the pin over to the next socket position - you just bend back or break off pin 6 and insert the op amp into the socket then put the opamp/socket into the SM3.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Huh? What is this?
confused.gif

As shown in the picture BillC has linked to you can use a modded adapter and not have to break off the opamp pin at all. It just goes outside of the adapter.

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #41 of 60
It is interesting how fast things can evolve. I was bending and breaking off the 6th leg realizing that the opamp was being altered for good. But with the socket and jumper now the opamp remains in its original condition and be used either way. I made up my own sockets with the jumper using silver wire. They work great and I am no longer mangling the opamps.

Has anyone figured out how many opamps can be used and how many total different choices when the class A is figured into the equation?

John

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #43 of 60
You need one adapter for each opamp or very, very fast hands but the ping pong effect might not be enjoyable.

John

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10

Also depends on what headphones you are using. I am using ETY ER4Ps canalphones and A900 headphones and the AD797 are my champ so far.

I really liked the NE5534 opamp in my SMv3, plenty of boomy bass with my ER4Ps, but its resolved output sound very warmish, and lacking the sparkle
in the high treble end. I am going to try the NE5534 Class A biased.

I just switched to AD797s from 627s this morning and even with no time allowed for a brain adjustment the 797s were obviously superior with my DT880s. Like you, I really like the stock 5534s and even prefer them to the 627s. I also will try them in Class A, but I have to wonder why. Can they really sound better than the 797s?

At my age one has to be careful of too much excitement. Anything much better than the 797s could lead to wet pants.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back