Superlux HD381 Series - Mini Review & Comparisons
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #121 of 127
"Whether there is a model of earbuds that resemble i.e. produce a sound similar to headphones?" This is one of the questions that is often asked on the forum.
For a long time, I have been trying to find a solution that would "fill the gap" between headphones and IEM's.
Of course, earbuds are the closest thing that is considered a solution, but Of course, earbuds are the closest thing that is considered a solution, but whether it meets every criterion is the next question to be answered, Is the next question to be answered. I will list just some reasons why many opt for earbuds:
- Headphones > Size and weight, clamping force and heat generated around the ears, price
- IEM's > Unpleasant feeling due to deep placement in the ear, cables going around the ear, sweating, vacuum effect, price.
On the other hand, the earbuds are small and quite easy to carry, same as IEM's. The open sound due to the specific position in the ear and less insulation,
is very reminiscent of headphones. These are the main features of all earbuds, which is fine for the average consumers but more demanding users expect more than that especially when it comes to the so-called "TOTL" models. What earbuds often lack is authentic low-end and clarity that have IEM, 3D sound stage and imaging of headphones.

Last week I was searching the internet and stumbled upon a couple of Superlux earbuds. I have known about Superlux for a long time as a company that produces very affordable microphones, speakers and headphones, but I did not know that they have several models of earbuds in their offer.
The model I came across is from the series HD381. At first glance it didn't seem to me that this model was worth $25, considering that it was manufactured about 10 years ago,
but I couldn't resist their retro look and opted for a black model. I left them to break-in for a day and after the first listening I was positively surprised by the sound
but at the same time fascinated by the effect they produce which I will talk about later. For that reason, the next day I ordered all three models which are also sold as a set
around $50-$60. I really like the presentation and simplistic package, it reminds me of the cover of the vinyl.
superlux front cover.jpg

superlux unbox.jpg

As technology advances nowadays, models with switches and various sound tuning filters are often seen.
In the case of Superlux we have 3 models that use the same driver, but each pair is differently tuned. Namely, Superlux is known for using the design of other
well-known manufacturers such as Sony, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics,
AKG and in addition the tuning itself is very reminiscent of the mentioned models.
As for the HD381 series, the design is taken from the Sony MDR-EX90LP model, and as they state on their website, this series has similar frequency response graphs as:
HD381 > Sennheiser CX 400 ; HD381F > Sony MDR-EX90LP ; HD381B > Apple MA850G/A
Senn_Sony_Apple.jpg

Below you can see the frequency response graphs for all three models, and you can read detailed review by @earfonia.
What I would just add is that all three models are great for listening to LIVE recordings especially Binaural music.
In the following text, I will talk about the design itself and the specific sound effect.
superlux_frg.jpg

This is the specification and accessories that come with each pair.
superlux_spec.jpg

The shells are made of glossy and matte plastic, they are very light. The part that touches the ear is covered with a rubber ring which further improves the fit and comfort.
The sealing is very weak almost identical to earbuds regardless of the presence of a nozzle and ear tip. This has the advantages in some way with this model
The cable consists of two parts (each 60 cm) so it is practical when connected to a hands-free adapter or BT device.
Otherwise, the cables are quite thin and microphonics are present which is the only weak point with this model.
The driver himself (diameter 13.5 mm like Sony MDR-EX90LP) is average without any fancy coating, its mobile friendly, does not require any additional amplification.
superlux_trio.jpg

Since this model is almost identical to Sony's model, in the following picture you can see all the internal parts, and if we take a closer look at this,
it looks like a reduced version of headphones in terms of the number of construction parts. Probably the same story with the Superlux model
sony-mdr-parts.jpg

Many would call this model "IEM" because of its appearance but "IEB" (In-Ear_Buds) would be more correct. Take for example the Onkyo E700M model which
has a similar driver size and shape, and compare it with HD381. The front openings on the E700M has 4 small holes, they serve more as pressure relief vents
so the sound is much more intimate compared to the HD381. With the HD381, this front opening actually emits sound, which creates an additional effect and
more spacious sound, while better low-end control is achieved with nozzle extension.
The freq. graph shows that the bass quantity is different for all three models, but what is specific here is that the bass seems totally separate from the other frequencies.
It looks like a woofer and twitter are placed separately inside the shell.
onkyo.jpg

Similar solutions that dealt with this topic can be seen in these totally different models such as Yuin OK1 (earbud with nozzle system)
and Nuraphone (headphone with in-ear extension).
YuinNura.jpg

Unlike other companies who exaggerate the features of the headphones with various inscriptions on the packaging in order to better advertising,
Superlux very modestly and vividly, on the back cover, explained the concept and idea of the sound effect they achieved with the HD381 series.
superlux back cover.jpg

They call them In-ear Headphones, what they really are when it comes to sound. If we scaled the headphone cup proportionally, it would be roughly equal to this model.
Also, the ratio of driver size and distance from the ears is approximately the same, which can be seen in this illustration A1: B1 = A2: B2
Human_Ear.jpg

The following illustration shows the whole idea. I would like to mention that all three models have a very well-defined bass with different character.
The mids are very clear and not recessed Treble is not sharp and sibilant. Average imaging but sound stage is huge Definitely gives the impression that
the sound comes from outside. All in all, they provide a very enjoyable experience and can be used freely for long listening sessions.
stageeffect.jpg

The HD381 should simulate the “On stage” sound effect. All instruments are clearly audible and well positioned in space. The bass has authority and
is very reminiscent of a real woofer speaker. Overall very energetic sound.
The HD381F puts you in the front row, so you can feel the energy coming from the front (“Front row” sound effect). The mid-bass and treble are
more pronounced than the previous model.
The HD381B has the best balance in my opinion. The sound is very clear and is great for relaxation. The bass is really sophisticated. It has less energy than
the previous two models, but it is not boring at all. The sound stage is fantastic, a real “In hall” sound.

In the end, it’s really hard for me to recommend just one pair.
As I mentioned earlier, two important features of Headphones and IEM, good bass clear mids and huge sound stage, this series is just that, the "best of both worlds".
I will be honest my current daily driver is HD381B (gray) and HD381 (black) but it all depends on the mood.
I definitely recommend the whole set, this is a really great lineup and deserves a place in everyone’s collection.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #123 of 127
One of the best eargears I heard so far ❤ kinda neutral sound for this price.. thanks for the review.
I'm glad you like it. Did you buy the whole set?
This is really top-notch tuning, and it’s amazing that such a miniature I-E-Buds can produce this kind of “big” sound.
I will not even comment on the price

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #125 of 127
Dec 26, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #127 of 127
I got the white version and said thats its mini hd681, which is the overhead version Superlux has.
I don't have any Superlux headphones to compare. Most balanced version IMO is HD381B (gray). By reducing mid-bass this version has very clean sound.
You can feel the depth in the soundstage and sub-bass.
Black HD381 has beautiful bass energy below 100Hz and don't mess up with mids

I will love to see upgrade of this series:
- Diver with one of the coating: Titanium, Graphene, Beryllium or pure aluminum. With these types of driver this will be superb set.
- Matte hard plastic shell or brushed aluminum, nothing fancy
- Braided cables. Possibly detachable cable with 2-pin sockets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back