Super Mini Amp V3/4 vs Other Portable Amps
Jan 15, 2003 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jap

500+ Head-Fier
I asked this question in another topic thread and since it wasn't answered, I'll start my own thread.

Have any of you Super Mini Amp V4 devotees ever compared this amp or any of its previous incarnations to the Grado RA-1 or other portable amps? How does it compare sonically with these amps?

The size of this amp appears to make it the best for portable usage. However, I wouldn't want to compromise too much sound. I plan to add another amp for home usage later on (e.g., MicroZOTL).
cool.gif

I plan to use this amp with portable CD/cassette/tuner units. Until I get a decent home amp, I will use it for my home unit as well.

Any thoughts?

Jan 15, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Jap
HI: How are you? I use the super mini amp V4 for my portable mini disc and my portable radio and the V4 is way beyond the other versions. I mean the bass that the V4 puts out and overall sound is just amazing for a amp in its class.

Jan 16, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 15
" HI: How are you? I use the super mini amp V4 for my portable mini disc and my portable radio and the V4 is way beyond the other versions. I mean the bass that the V4 puts out and overall sound is just amazing for a amp in its class. "

Thank you very much for your reply. I need true portability without losing great sound. It's nice to know you feel the V4 outperforms the other amps in its class. If I go with the V4, it will have to serve as both my portable & home amp until I'm ready to select a top home unit.
cool.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 15
Jap
HI: when you say the amp will also be used as your home amp what source will be your home source?

Jan 16, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 15
Anyone know how the mini 4.0 would stack up against the corda porta or the total airhead??

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 15
I would expect that the Porta Corda would beat the mini. Might be a close call with a regular Airhead, but total airhead should beat it. Also much more expensive than the mini. If i'm not mistaken, both the Porta Corda and Airhead also have crossfeed which the mini does not. Get the mini if you really need a tiny tiny amp. If you just want something that runs on batteries, go with a larger more full featured portable amp.

Jan 16, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 15
Everything I've read says that the mini v3 and especially v4 (only one person at this moment) definitely approaches the performance of a maxed-out meta42! This would lead me to belive that a supermini v4 would be vastly superior to a Porta Corda or even possibly an HA-1.. and easily best a total airhead.. however, I cannot say for certain because I don't have any of these amps =(

-dd3mon

Jan 16, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
Everything I've read says that the mini v3 and especially v4 (only one person at this moment) definitely approaches the performance of a maxed-out meta42! This would lead me to belive that a supermini v4 would be vastly superior to a Porta Corda or even possibly an HA-1.. and easily best a total airhead...

LOL! Step over here, and pee into this cup, please!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 12:57 PM Post #10 of 15
Jap
HI: How are you? Rather then wondering what the super mini V4 compares to may I say it is in a league of its own. It is the smallest amp except for a special diy one that we wont talk about. It is truly a marvel in its own right and sounds awesome for what it is. The V4 puts out a incredible bass and overall sound. I got my super mini at a gain of 20 and have lots of power to spare. Out of the box it needed burn in but after only 7 hours it is already a wow thing. It now has 20 hours burn in on it and really sounds great. I am going to burn it in for 100 hours. It could be used as a home amp but is was made for portable use but you can do what you want with it. A Bigger better amp is aways nice to have at least I think it is but the super mini will add to any collection and cant be beat for portability.

Jan 16, 2003 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 15
" It could be used as a home amp but is was made for portable use but you can do what you want with it. A Bigger better amp is aways nice to have at least I think it is but the super mini will add to any collection and cant be beat for portability."

The home usage would only be a temporary thing.
cool.gif
I don't have an amp at all right now. The V4 or similar portable would allow me to start using something right away. I am interested in getting a tubed amp (probably the microZOTL) as my main amp later on.

I have a Grado SR-80 headphone set right now and would like to add the Ety ER-4S later on. Of course, some closed phones would be better for portable usage since open air designs like the Grados tend to be anti-social. I have seen you and others raving about the Sony D66 Eggos and the price seems right for a portable set of cans. I don't know if I would like to walk around with an expensive set like the Etys everywhere!

I have a nice mini system right now (a Henry Kloss design). I am looking into SACD/DVD-A options right now, although it will probably be a while before I settle on something there. For portable usage I need to decide whether to replace my old Panasonic unit with a Sony D-25S or a more modern Sony offering. I also have an old Sony WM-D6C cassette unit that I would like to upgrade.

Jan 16, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 15
John:

The answer as always is, "it depends..."

If you are interested in something that will be transportable, battery or AC powered AND offer the best possible sound AND money is no object, then I'd recommend the HeadRoom Cosmic. Super amp! Very sweet sound, excellent bass, fast, detailed. Can be powered by AC. But, to be battery powered, understand that you'll need to carry a bunch of D cells along with you. That, and it's pretty expensive.

For something transportable/portable that could be AC or battery powered that can sound very, very good, all evidence suggests that a well configured META from (JMT or KurtW or etc) would be an excellent choice. The nice thing about the META is that you can specify which components you want based on how you envision using the amp, your particular tastes, your specific equipment, how compact you want the amp to be, etc. Costs will vary depending upon those choices, but plan on spending somewhere in the ~ $150 - $300 range. I don't have one and have never heard one so I can't provide details on the sound. To hear other folks impressions, just do a search on "META". Also read Tangents site for info on META and the various choices available for opamps and the like.

For something that is the uberportable headphone amp, go with the SuperMini. V4 is the best sounding one yet (I've tried everything from V1 on).

The SuperMini was designed to be good sounding, ultraportable, and battery thrifty. It succeeds in meeting those goals. The size must be seen to be believed. The amp itself is literally the size of one AAA battery! The case is only slightly larger than 4 AAA batteries put together. Just amazing!

I'm using V4 as my primary headphone amp with Etymotic ER4P/S. I started out with this whole headphone thing trying to assemble a portable headphone rig with the intent of adding a home based rig as funds become available. The SuperMini is of good enough quality that I'm not itching to upgrade my amp as much as I'm itchin to upgrade my source for my home based system. Of course, like most people here, I'm ALWAYS itching to upgrade something!

Mini impressions of the SuperMini:
After burning in the amp for ~ 75 hours, I had a chance to listen to it a bit last night. When I first had plugged in the amp without burn-in, the sound was decent, but not spectacular. Good detail, OK highs but they were somewhat sharp/etched, decent bass but not "full" sounding.

After some burn-in, things have changed.

The highs are clear and have good extension. The etched sound has resolved. Cymbals sound very good, with good decay. The amp is very fast and provides excellent detail. Was listening initially to Tool, Lateralus. Decent album to evaluate sonic properties of an amp because there are quiet, accoustic periods interspersed throughout the otherwise rauccous moments. The amp provides detail and separation of instruments for the Etys to pick up. The bass was present and full sounding. Although Etys do not convey bass that is felt, the bass sound IS there, in spades.

The SuperMini has always had detail galore, but has been somewhat lean in the mid-bass and bass. The bass extension is now greater than that seen in previous versions of SuperMini. Very solid bass, good amount of depth/blackness in quiet periods. It's a very capable amplifier that happens to be excelptionally portable.

You can't really go wrong with any of these amps. Choose the one that best meets your needs. Fortunately, we have some exceptional equipment to choose from in this category that's at an incredible price-point.

Good luck!
Bruce

Jan 16, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 15
" You can't really go wrong with any of these amps. Choose the one that best meets your needs. Fortunately, we have some exceptional equipment to choose from in this category that's at an incredible price-point. "

Thank you very much, Bruce, for your thoughts. I appreciate the fact that you already have the phones I want (the Etys) and one of the amps I am considering.
cool.gif
I definitely want a solid amp for home usage - probably a tubed amp, like the microZOTL - so I can afford to concentrate on portability as long as the sound is not compromised too much. I do plan to look into the META options.

Perhaps I should go with a source unit, the Sony D25S, first while I investigate amplification possibilities. I understand the D25S puts out about 3/4 the volume of the Grado RA-1 amp by itself. I have owned the Denon 100/150 portable PCDPs in the past and would appreciate the fine performance of a classic PCDP once more.

I have seen a lifesize rendition of the V4 on Zeng's website, and I agree it will be hard to beat this amp for compactness. I see Dr. Zeng has a solution for the Ety's cable phonics problem as well.

Jan 16, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 15
John:

Remember, volume isn't the only issue.

The RA-1 amp is one that gets a lot of diverse response from folks here. Some like the sound it produces when paired with Gradp cans, others do not like the idea that the amp is a CMOY design with very little in parts to justify the cost (aside from a pretty case). What I've heard from that amp is decent sound. But, if I were looking into amps at that price point, would definately consider something else.

The microZOTL is a fine amp that has the ability to be tweaked to your personal preferences. Good luck with that acquisition! Although, I've not heard Etys on them, so I can't comment on their sound. They pair VERY nicely with Grado HP1s tho
biggrin.gif

From my perspective, the sound characteristics of the SuperMini match my palate quite nicely. It provides the information to the Etys so that they can present powerful, clean and detailed sound. The Etys are terrific for detail.... so much so that you will likely realize the limitations of the other compnents in your system.

I started off listening primarily via an old portable cd player. Needed to upgrade to a Panasonic SL CT570. Was pleased with the sound... until I started listening to a stand alone CD player. Even with a VERY modest CDP or DVD player compared to the line out of a respectable portable unit, the differences were apparent. The reason for sharing this is that you might want to save some cash and go for a better source than the D25S. From what I understand, it's a great sounding portable. But, it's still a portable, and one that can't REALLY be used portably because of lack of any antiskip feature. Once you take a look at the cost of the unit (I think ~ $35) and add the costs for an AC adapter and a battery, you're more getting towards the realm of affordable CD/DVD players that will sound much better (e.g., Sony NS500).

Anyway, good luck with your purchases. Welcome to the addiction!

Bruce

Jan 16, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks again, Bruce. The D25S was really only to fulfill portable usage. Portable for me means sitting down with the unit at work, while commuting by car/plane/train, etc. It does
not mean walking/running with the unit. Since the D25S was originally intended for plane flight usage it should suit me just fine.

I realize that portable stereo is in a depressing state right now, but I like to hear my music wherever I am. The reports of the Sony D25S makes it sound a lot like my former beloved old Denon 100/150 CD portables. Modern PCDPs with line outs seem limited to mostly Sonys.

As I stated earlier, I already have a home unit - a mini CD/FM/AM console with Henry Kloss designed satellites and a dedicated subwoofer. I have kept to portables or mini systems for quite a while now since I've moved around a bit over the past decade or so. I am seriouly concerned with obtaining an SACD/DVD-A console as my main home unit. A home SACD/DVD-A unit for me would preferably be a player/recorder so I could burn my own discs. If a SACD/DVD-A portable existed, I would go for that in a heartbeat.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back