Super.Fi 5 EB vs Triple.Fi 10
Dec 8, 2009 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

brianhem10

New Head-Fier
Hi. I've narrowed down my IEM search to these two based on what I can buy them for ($109 and ~$160-$180). I listen to mostly hip-hop and classical rock with 192kbps WMAs. I will not have amp (at least for a year) and have fairly small ears. I just returned a pair of Westone UM1s because they were completely flat to me and need something with at least a little umph.

Thus, I'm confused and torn between which of these 2 IEMs to get! I really need help deciding. On one hand, the Super.Fi EBs match my music style, but im concerned about poor clarity on the upper end. The Triple.Fi's will be great for Dave Matthews and that type of music, but will it perform well with the techo/rap I listen to?

Please advise! Trying to buy these by tomorrow afternoon so I have them in time for my vacation. Thank you.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 16
TF10Pro has enough bass for hip hop/rap and it will be much more clear than 5EB which has big bass but not very clear and transparent as TF10pro.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 16
I can't compare TP vs TF10Pro But i heard both (Turbine, TF10Pro) and TF10Pro are much more clear, balanced, has bigger soundstage. Turbine has warm rich sound with big bass but after long listening sessions it's clear Turbine is not crisp clear, detailed and balanced as much TF10Pro.

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianhem10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I've narrowed down my IEM search to these two based on what I can buy them for ($109 and ~$160-$180). I listen to mostly hip-hop and classical rock with 192kbps WMAs. I will not have amp (at least for a year) and have fairly small ears. I just returned a pair of Westone UM1s because they were completely flat to me and need something with at least a little umph.

Thus, I'm confused and torn between which of these 2 IEMs to get! I really need help deciding. On one hand, the Super.Fi EBs match my music style, but im concerned about poor clarity on the upper end. The Triple.Fi's will be great for Dave Matthews and that type of music, but will it perform well with the techo/rap I listen to?

Please advise! Trying to buy these by tomorrow afternoon so I have them in time for my vacation. Thank you.

hi, im glad i came across your thread, as i am a very happy ue5 eb and triplefi 10vi owner,

after purchasing the ue5 eb, i have treid so many different iem's to outperform their bass, too no avail,, i have tested the audio technica cks70, denon c710, westone 3, ie8, atrio m5-8, triplefi 10vi and very soon the jvc fx 500. long story short, none of them come close to the bass power and punch of the sueprfi 5 eb, PERIOD! i probably just saved u alot of money..
the ue5 eb also remain clear in the highs as well, but not as defined as other like triplefi 10, whilst comparing to other bass heavy iem, i foun that ue 5 eb's, highs sounded way clearer or not as sibilant as others,,, for example the audio technica cks70 had a very low bass with punch(not as much as ue5 eb), but impressive none the less, however the problem was that it wasnt as tight as the eb and also the lack of its high left the rest of the spectrum sound muffled or veiled,,, the ue5 eb does not have this problem and in my opinion the ue5 eb doesent get the respect that it truly deserves,, in addition i hear they have discontinued my favorite model......buy them!

--to make matters more confusing i would tell you if i had to keep two pairs of iem's it would be the superfi 5 eb- for rock and most loud fast music, and especially for movie watching,, iwant to highlite this fact,, watching like action movies with the ue5 eb is a head shacking wonderful bliss for us bass connoisseur's, and the triplefi for everything else. buy them too

note the ue5eb will need at least 100-175 hours burn to sound their best, what happens is there bass will tighten up and there will be much more defined punch , Magnifique!!

the truth is that no one pair of iem will have all the qualities u need, but for me if u take both the ue5eb and the ue10 it is all i need.
i have often said if they made a pair of triplefi 10 EB's they would be the greatest pair of iem's known to man
smily_headphones1.gif

--for right now though i say go for the ue5 eb as their are BOSS!
especially for movies and loud music,, for monitoring and watching tv news radio, classical or jazz i would go for the triplefi, although often i find the ue5 eb more fun to listen too even while listening to some classical..

fianlly ill just add and say that its been super annoying and dissapointing not having found a bass oriented iem that can oupterform the ue5 eb, i wish i would have read this post a year ago!

good luck

Tallyho!

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 16
oh one last note, the only thing that sucks i find with the triplefi 10vi is the chord which is super noisy, but that is only on the triplefi 10 vi which has the inline mic for i touch i phone,, ifyou get the regular triplefi 10 pro this shouldnt be a problem

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 16
With the 5EB, you'd better be concerned with clarity at the upper end; it has none. Unless you just don't care about instruments or vocals, don't do it.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the 5EB, you'd better be concerned with clarity at the upper end; it has none. Unless you just don't care about instruments or vocals, don't do it.

wow exageration much, compared to other bass oriented iem's the highs clarity on the ue5eb is wuite good, imo,,,, but sure if you compare them to some sibilant westone 3's of denon c710 than yea they do lack some highs,, but ehy are still pretty clear,,,,,,,like ive said if you want tomonitor something like watch tev news the triplefi is better,, but for rocknroll, metal, pop, fast music in general and god forbid hip hop definitley go for the ue5 eb

also if youve never given the ue5eb a chance to burn in then please dont comment on them as they do require a healthy 150 hour burn, straight outtta box they dont sound nearly as good.

if u want a bass iem the ue5 eb are the best period

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 16
more on triplefi 10 fyi,
they are on of the most neutral sounding, smooth and crystal clear iem that i have in my stable, what i love most about them is that the have crystal clear highs which are not sibilant like most other ive tried,, i hate iem's which highs distort and are charp and painful,,, you dont get this withthe triple fi or at least after u burn them in,
only bad reviews ive read on them were fit issues(i found exagerated but relevant), and one or two that they have a canned sound,,,,, i disagree, maybe only slightly on a specific track, but compared to other iem, like denon c710, have a way more canned sound to them,, i think the triplefi 10 are also underestimated, and initially i passed on them after reading many exagerated reviews of fit problems,, they dont fit great but they dont fit terrible either,, they also have a super good noise isolation as do the ue5eb. if you do have bad fit issues, get the comply t500 or tx500 tips which should work on all ue iem's like the ue5 eb and the triplefi 10

hope i have helped
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

if u want a bass iem the ue5 eb are the best period.

To each their own, but compared with my other bass-biased phones, I find them only marginally better than my CX500s, and marginally worse than my NE-6s. As far as rating the sf5eb above my M5s or my IE8s...no.

You'd think that with that big-a** bass driver that they would have picked something bright and accurate for the treble. Instead, you get what sounds like a midbass driver. Great if you like a little boom with your thump, but it won't help those string solos.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 16
I know this isn't directly in response to your question, but you should definitely consider upping the quality of the mp3s/wmas you listen to. At 192kbps, you're likely not hearing the full potential of your earphones, regardless of which ones you use. Try some LAME encoded mp3s with the V0 quality setting
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 16
Everyone knows that treble shines even more when inside of an acrylic shell. For that reason, I'd recommend the UE5EB and a custom reshell by Fisher. You'll have sick bass, strong mids and crystal clear highs. The entire package will run you under $250, everything included.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To each their own, but compared with my other bass-biased phones, I find them only marginally better than my CX500s, and marginally worse than my NE-6s. As far as rating the sf5eb above my M5s or my IE8s...no.

You'd think that with that big-a** bass driver that they would have picked something bright and accurate for the treble. Instead, you get what sounds like a midbass driver. Great if you like a little boom with your thump, but it won't help those string solos.

yea but for a bass iem, it has far better highs than other bass iem's in its ballpark, its not muffled like others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back