Super DAC Pro 707?
Sep 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

barleyguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Greetings. As was detailed in another thread, I recently ordered a Dell Mini 9 netbook. I need a DAC to go with it. I'd like a standalone DAC with no amp, or something with a line out to bypass the amp. I already own 4 headphone amps (two very good desktop amps and two cheap portables), so I don't see why I'd need a 5th.

Budget is $150 give or take. I'm looking for the sweet spot. If a little more money will get me something way better, that's great. Or if less money will get something just as good, that's cool too.

From the research I've done so far, the front runners are:

Super DAC Pro 707, $124 from Obad Imports. Receiver chip CS-8416,
DAC chip CS-4398 (24-192KHZ). LT1364C opamps in the output signal path. Supports USB, Optical, and Coax.

iBasso D2+, $169 from iBasso. TI PCM2706 Receiver Chip, Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip. Includes an amp but has a line out. USB only.

GoVibe USB DAC. $79 from Uncle Wilson. Burr Brown PCM2702 used for receiver and DAC. No gain control or amplifier, USB only.

Suggestions between those 3? Any alternate choices?

(BTW, the massive DAC comparison blog seems to be dead. And the original thread is 3 years old.)

Thanks,

Harley.

EDIT: BTW, it would be nice if whatever I choose works with Windows/Linux/Mac. So standard USB drivers are probably in order.

EDIT: Changed the title.

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 11
I changed the title of the main post (and posted this as a bump)... I'm currently leaning towards the Super DAC Pro 707. Any experiences with it?

Alternate suggestions still welcome.

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the Fubar USB DAC to be very good with the LM4562NA op-amp and a regulated power supply.

That looks like a decent unit. I'll add that to the list. It appears to have the same DAC chip as the GoVibe though. The GoVibe is about half the price. Though the Fubar allows Opamp rolling, and may have a better power supply circuit and the option of a power supply upgrade.

Sep 26, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 11
Maybe you could find a used one for sale.
IMG_0163a.jpg

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Sep 26, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Great picture.
normal_smile .gif

I'll keep the Fubar in mind. It seems like a really good solution, especially since it seems to have a real power circuit, which is the thing that matters other than the DAC chip. And it allows opamp rolling, which could be kinda fun.

And I'll check out that other one. I don't need the amp, but if I can bypass it that's an option.

The D2+ has the Wolfson DAC after the receiver chip, which is supposed to be a really nice DAC chip. So that one is tempting too. And the Super Pro 707 does 192K over optical. Hmmm.... (Just thinking out loud. Feedback welcome.
wink.gif
)

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Barley,

With the HIFIDIY DAC/AMP, you CAN bypass the amp and only use the DAC. This is what the A/D switch on the front is for. Also, the volume pot ONLY controls the headphone output allowing for a excellent line-out.

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a 707 in between my netbook and computer. It sounds really good.

Cool. That's good to hear (no pun intended). The features for the money are really good, since it supports higher sample rates over optical and SPDIF. If it sounds really good, that seems like the best deal.

In the thread about it, some people have had switching noise with the included power supply. Are you using the stock power supply?

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 11
i use SuperPro usb 707 DAC between my laptop and headphones amp(s) ... as per my ears and preferred music the combo output very good SQ... i use 707DAC it with oem power supply and noted no hiss nor any noise

2zi6jbo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back