Sup fellow head-fiers - headphones, headphones, headphones...
Jun 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

lyons238

Head-Fier
Hey whats up guys.. Been lurking this forum for some time now and finally decided to join. Im a hobbiest producer mainly interested in dubstep but i also get down with any electronic dance music, hip hop, raggae, and others.

I have a pair of sennheiser HD280 Pros and i do like them but they hurt my ears after a while and i just cant tell whata going on in the lower frequencies when producing.

Im looking to buy a new set of headphones where i can produce, mix, and just have fun listening to. Some headphones that have caught my attention are the Denon Ah D2000's, Ultrasone Pro 750's, AKG K271 MkII's, Shurr SRH940's, and more. But i just cant decide. Anyone have any info/experiences with the headphones i habe mentioned, or any good headphone for producing in the sub $250 range (ebay/amazon prices).

Thanks for reading!

Steve

Sent using Tapatalk on my HTC EVO

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 21
All the headphones you listed need an amp to power correctly, if I'm not mistaken the shr940's might not need one.

I would say the Ultrasone Pro 750's, but then they need a major amp to power. Go ask the Desktop Amp forum for a cheap one. 

I use a second hand Fm/Am audio receiver for all my headphones and they get powered well with $20

ATH-M50's are popular as starters, scored high for comfort, sound, ect. Don't need an amp and sound great for dubstep.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 21
Amp is not an issue...my focusrite interface has a built in headphone amp.

And the ath-m50s have too much emphadized bass and recessed mids for producing imo.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 21
Jun 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 21
Well i want just the best overall balance that i can get. But the bass must be present so i can hear whats going on down there when producing.

And these will be only used in my little home studio connected to my interface so an amp will neber be an issue.

Thanks for the review though ill check it out. Anyone have anything to say about the phones i have listed?

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 21
AKG K271 are about the most neutral sounding there

But I record, edit and produce music for local bands I use my MDR-V6 no matter what. That's just me. They are the flattest of all my headphones and use them endlessly.

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 21
The Akg need an amp

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
The Akg need an amp

dude how many times do i have to say it? an amp is not an issue as my interface has a headphone amp built in...

unless your trying to say maybe the people who im reading about did not have them amped? in which case is still not true because they were other producers one with an Native Instruments audio interface and another with a different interface. Although, i do bet some of the reviews that i read randomly online about them lacking bass were due to not having an amp

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:

dude how many times do i have to say it? an amp is not an issue as my interface has a headphone amp built in...

unless your trying to say maybe the people who im reading about did not have them amped? in which case is still not true because they were other producers one with an Native Instruments audio interface and another with a different interface. Although, i do bet some of the reviews that i read randomly online about them lacking bass were due to not having an amp

Sorry, too many new people without an amp

Just get a pair of Sony MDR-V6
Get two pairs with a couple extra pairs of pads and you can't go wrong. They have been the music producer's choice for like, almost 25 years now.

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Sorry, too many new people without an amp

Just get a pair of Sony MDR-V6
Get two pairs with a couple extra pairs of pads and you can't go wrong. They have been the music producer's choice for like, almost 25 years now.

its okay haha i feel you. and nah im not some random audiophile newb. i been an audiophile for years since before i even started producing. but im a budget audiophile...

but im lookin for something a bit more snazzy than the mdr's to be honest. i have the Sennhesier hd280's which are pretty generic like the MDR's. plus the hd280s lack some bass, not sure about the sonys though. they're good but nothing special. the reason many producers use them is because they are so predictable sort of like the Yamaha NS10 monitors which werent even made for studio use originally. they were just predictable. 

but yeah im looking for something thats going to be accurate enough for producing/mixing, and something i can still dj with and use for normal listening. comfort is a big must as well.

im liking the denon d2000's, the akg k271 mkii's (but with the auto shut off thing might not be good for djing?), and the ultrasone pro 750's right now most. really having a hard time making up my mind.

oh and one last though, im not a big fan of a harsh and fatiguing high end. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 21
MDR-7509HD then

I know, but Sony V series are the best production headphones you can find and the 7509Hd is the top of the line. There is no need to go any higher then them. 

The K271's are balanced, but not great with seperation
The D2000 are bass heavy like all DJ headphones and distort the clarity

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
MDR-7509HD then

I know, but Sony V series are the best production headphones you can find and the 7509Hd is the top of the line. There is no need to go any higher then them. 

The K271's are balanced, but not great with seperation
The D2000 are bass heavy like all DJ headphones and distort the clarity

idk im really just not a big fan of the sony headphones. i do know they are nice though.

but i thought the d2000's were meant for home/studio use not really djing. idk i know a lot of producers that use and like the d2000's.

another option is the shure srh 940's. not sure how the bass response is on those though?

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 21
You can shut off the, umm, auto shut off on the K271's. Just futz with the switch like I did with mine.

I might annoy a few people with this, but...how do you produce music with D2000's? My audio memory of them may be fuzzy, but I thought they were way too bassy to be great for producing. However, looking at your genres and requirements, they might do.

No experience with the SRH940, but I'm interested in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back