Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition Review
Aug 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rickysio

New Head-Fier
Thanks to lendmeurears.com for the sample.

Specifications:
Driver: 9mm Neodymium
Impedance: 32ohm
Sensitivity: 118db + 3db
Cable length: 1.2m
Frequency Range: 16-24,000Hz
Connection: 3.5mm

Packaging and accessories:
A very compact, a cuboid box measuring 8x8x8.5cm (L x B x D) adorned with an abstract design on all 6 sides. (Opposite sides share the same design)
e9621830.jpg
Opening the box up, you’d be greeted with the carrying case in foam, preventing the case from getting nicked on 4 sides (the top and bottom aren’t protected except for the layer of cardboard the packaging is made off, oddly) during transit.

The carry case is the typical donut zipper type, and the IEM along with the other tips and a cord clip are contained within it, along with the warranty chit.
67cd4e7b.jpg
It comes with a cord clip (quite necessary), a double flange tip, and the standard S, M, L sizes of single flanges, of which the M size is already fitted on the monitors itself.

All in all, a very standard package, nothing spectacular without missing out anything.

Build:
The monitors themselves feel decently tough to withstand day to day abuse, but the silkscreened wording on the 3.5mm jack and the splitter is bound to wear off rapidly. The units however, are aesthetically twins except for the small extruded marking on the rubber stress relieves on each side to mark the L and R unit. (I resorted to sticking a ring of white vinyl tape around the L unit to make it more distinguishable.)
32c4c7f6.jpg
They use the UE/Panasonic/Radius/etc type of flanges, and fit rather comfortably in the ear, but it isn’t terribly comfortable – mostly because I stuck to bi-flanges as they assured a good seal most of the time, whereas single flange left it very vulnerable to insertion depth variances. I have better comfort with the HJE900s and DDMs (I’m probably one of the few which have absolutely no problems with wearing the clunker normally) largely in part due to the lack of a need for bi-flanges.

Isolation wise, I still can hear train announcements even with bi-flanges, but that might be because my usual seat in the train is almost directly under the speaker… Out and about, it isolates enough for me, without being too isolating and making crossing roads a death seeking adventure.
0a037e14.jpg
The cable though, is quite microphonic and if the unit is not worn in an over-the-ears position the microphonics can be bothersome. There is also no cord cinch, and the cord clip would probably be used as a replacement, and as a way to anchor the cable to your clothing which reduces the microphonics greatly. (Oddly, the cable after the splitter is squishy, which is quite unusual. In fact, it feels like there is quite a relatively thick layer of ‘something’ between the outer rubber tube and the wire inside. )

Cable length is actually quite variable – I’ve had 3 units and all had a different total length, but all of which were more than 1.2m. (Long story involving the overheating coil issue, but cutting it short lendmeurears.com has an excellent RMA service.)

The cable has some memory character, but nothing too bad, but there is certainly room for improvement, especially microphonics wise. I’d like to see some proper stress relief on the 3.5mm jack side as well, though. The current configuration has almost no effective stress relief on that part.

Sound:
(I’d first apologize if the following section is overtly comparative instead of a standalone review, but I simply lack the experience to be able to confidently and accurately depict the sound signature of the IEM without relying on comparisons. Opinions below are that of my own and are unlikely, being what they are, to agree to a large degree with yours.)

They aren’t really lacking in the lower registers, but suffer from a finicky seal. They’re rather modest in bass – in fact, it seems like there’s some bass roll off inherent in the voice coil design at the lowest registers. However, owing to personal preference for the subtle, sublime slam instead of the comparatively vulgar boomy bass, in this department they are merely competent, at least in comparison to the DDMs and the HJE900s (both of which do reach deeper as far as my ears can tell).

Mid wise, they have an arguably more sterile and less lush mid versus the velvety smooth, yet still incredibly detailed DDMs. They don’t wow, but they do their job well. It can be considered warm, but as mentioned the DDMs makes my comparison points skewed. They are just simply so middling and uninspired in comparison, though this is anything but their fault.

In terms of the highs, they don’t suffer from sibilance, although they don’t sound crisp but blunt and lacks the sparkle the 900s have in abundance. They also lack the coherence and smoothness the DDMs have, but in turn are more exciting and vibrant than the darker DDMs.

Detail wise, they are notably inferior in comparison – and yet it must be remembered that the other two cost more than twice it. Micro details are almost rudely thrust in one’s face in comparison to the HJE900s and the DDMs. Despite their more biased sound signatures, the micro detail is appropriately presented, a complement to the music, not seemingly attempting a coup d’état for a chance under the limelight, but acts to accentuate and draw you into the music. The IE’s present it in a colder and sterile environment, which upon first listen creates the illusion of extreme detail retrieval but gets exposed as a ruse when you listen to the truly detailed IEMs. It is sufficiently unique, though, to possibly count as a point of attraction.

Vocal wise, the IE’s have a more lush, smooth and velvety presentation compared to the edgier HJE900s, mainly because it doesn’t have the harsher V-shaped sound signature of the 900s. The DDMs however, lend a sensuality and intimacy to the vocals that the other two can’t match, one in part due to the sterile presentation of micro detail, the other due to the aggressive sound. Neither can hope to match the versatility the 900s have though. It is more ‘cold’ in a manner versus the 900’s though, as far as my ears are convinced, with the singer’s emotions being more ‘separated’ from the listener.

Soundscape however, is, at least, comparatively lacking. Versus the DDMs and my HJE900s, which both share a similar point in that they have the tendency to disappear and leave me to my music, the IE’s have a more distinctly two dimensional, cramped soundstage that seems almost confined to a single slice of one’s cranium. It makes you uncomfortably aware that there are two miniature speakers reproducing the music, whereas the other two successfully presents a soundstage that radiates out – the singer doesn’t sound like he’s crooning right in the middle of my head – the perception of two point sources disappear and I am able to relax and immerse myself in music.

It is also more inefficient than both the HJE900s and the DDMs, requiring a higher volume to drive than either of the two. Of course, it is still more than capable of playing back music to eardrum bursting volumes on a portable device (say, an iPod Touch or a Sansa Clip+). Might be worth a test before purchasing if your player isn’t on the powerful side.

Verdict:
For what it brings to the table at the price point, it’s a very attractive deal, but nevertheless it can only be regarded as impressive amongst its price range and some way above it. If anything, this pair of IEMs are well rounded and don't really have much weaknesses, but neither do they have much strengths. Go too far above the price range, and it simply gets outclassed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back