Sundaras. If you like them, what else do you like?
May 17, 2022 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tlite

Head-Fier
Different headphones, DACs, Amps, etc. ?

I like the Sundaras and want ideas as to what headphones or gear would either pair well or offer a similar but potentially better experience in the same wheelhouse of sound.

Thanks!

May 18, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 9
I was torn between Sundara and Audio-Technica ATH-R70X and read as much as I could. Both need amps: I have a Schiit Magni 3+, nothing fancy.

I chose ATH-R70X and I am incredibly happy with them. Comfort, timbre, impact, clarity -- all there. Unless I win the lottery, these are endgame for me.

May 18, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 9

I like the Sundaras and want ideas as to what headphones or gear would either pair well or offer a similar but potentially better experience in the same wheelhouse of sound.

Thanks!
If you like the Sundaras, the egg-shaped Hifimans (Edition XS, Ananda, Arya, etc) have a similar tonality but a more spacious sound.

I found the HarmonicDyne Zeus to be a good pairing as it's a warmer, more V-shaped type of sound, but isn't too far off from the Sundara in terms of resolution. There's also stuff like the Focal Elex/E-MU Teak if you want something harder hitting in the bass, as Hifiman's bass is a bit on the soft side.

May 18, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 9
I was torn between Sundara and Audio-Technica ATH-R70X and read as much as I could. Both need amps: I have a Schiit Magni 3+, nothing fancy.

I chose ATH-R70X and I am incredibly happy with them. Comfort, timbre, impact, clarity -- all there. Unless I win the lottery, these are endgame for me.
I had ATH-R70X and love them. But when i heard the Sundara it's brightness and crispiness won me. Since then i'm still looking for an upgrade!!! All the cans i've tried are either brighter and peakier (if i stay in the same sound signature) or too veiled...

May 18, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 9
That’s a loaded question but in a good way.
I liked how clean and “sterile” that Sundies were for certain genres.

Since I mostly listen to jazz fusion and orchestral I would reach for them over my 660s which were my first audiophile set of cans.

Now, I own a Diana Phi and Arya Stealth that have that sense of clarity but with a touch of coloration that gives it a kick.

Honestly, if you’re happy with them and unless you’ve got the cash to burn. Stay out the rabbit hole….

I went through various entry stuff from iFi and the sort. My signature includes my current set up apart from my cables (if you believe in them) and my portable gear.

If you’re serious about upgrading I’d say start with your source/DAC.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 9
I had the Sundara for 7 months, but wouldn't get them again after getting the Sennheiser HD650. I've had the HD6XX but never heard the detail in the 650 it's based on. Currently I have the HD700 with the modhouse foam kit and Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable and it's an epic combination for the HD700.
For Sundara money I'd rather get the DT770 250 ohm, DT880 250 ohm, and Venture Electronics VE Monk all for the same price.

May 18, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 9

Thanks!
If you like the Sundara’s the Edition XS is a more wide open less mid centric version of a similar tonality .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back