Sundara <>or<> Edition XS
Nov 14, 2021 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
November 14, '2021

Sundara ...or.... Edition XS

I'll keep this short, and i titled the comparison "OR"....instead of "vs", as i dont think of headphones as : "in comparison".
I think of each Brand's model as a different and unique sonic voice, and no 2 Brand's sonic voices are the same.

And...I created this quick comparison as this is the obvious $$$$$$ comparison that you would most likely consider.

Ok,

Sundara with revised pads.......OR. Edition XS with Stealth Magnets

Box : Same

Cable : Same

My comparison is created using upgraded Balanced cables and a Questyle Master CMA 12
_
_

Design : Overall, The XS has the look of a more refined Hifiman Gear, whereas the Sundara has a utilitarian "early model" type of appearance/vibe.

Comfort : The XS is about 29.22349% more comfortable on your ears and on your head.... even if you stretch-adjust the Sundara's frame. The original Sundara's pad were just too small, and the revised pads are just too small also, but they are soft and now angled.
The Sundara's clamping is firm, whereas the XS's clamping is nice.
The XS pads are larger, comfy, and almost disappear on your head after a day or 2.
The Sundara's pads never disappear and tend to have more clamp on the (temple) upper pad..... vs the lower jaw area.

Drivability: The Sundara's are easier to drive and Both scale with better gear.

Tonality : The Sundara's are somewhat mid treble forward, & quite precise and clean overall. The XS's are more balanced, slightly warmer, and more lush after a day or 2 of burn.

Treble : Sundara has clear precise slightly sterile and analytical treble. The XS, overall has airy, slightly smoother and more extended treble, It also leads the way in the "air" region".

Midrange : Sundara is a slight V with decent mids. The XS's Mids are wider and generally more engaging.

Bass : Sundara's Bass is tight, detailed, slightly warm. The XS's bass extends farther into the sub region and has more overall separation from the midrange and has a touch more body.

Soundstage: Sundara's soundstage is slightly wider than the Diana V2, and is not real deep. The Height is decent.
The XS's Soundstage is immersive and wider/deeper. This is probably the most obvious difference between the gears.

FR : Sundara is decently linear but it has a more pronounced mid-treble push. The XS is slightly warmer and the bass is more extended yet not lacking linearity. The XS's Treble is more extended into the "air" region, but overall its not the only star of the XS's sound. The XS's Midrange is slightly sweeter tho not forward or punched.

Both headphones are a very good "sound" value for the money.
If you prefer a somewhat tighter & closer sound perspective... more intimate and cozy.... vs a wider more airy immersive sound, than the Sundara is your choice.
If you want a wider soundstage, more comfort, more sub and airy treble, then grab the Edition XS and plug and play.
The best idea would be to own both, as both offer fine audiophile sonics at a fair price.
-
-

Sundara or XS.JPG

X

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 8
I wonder about the edition xs and the anandas, is it worth going that extra step up in cost.

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 8
I wonder about the edition xs and the anandas, is it worth going that extra step up in cost.
No.
The XS sounds somewhat like a HE1000 jr + the stealth magnets.
The Ananda sounds like a dry planer, ( Think 400i ) & slightly veiled.
Ive bought and returned it 2x because its like feeding your ears dry sonic chalk, as compared to the better Hifiman gear (including the XS)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 8
No.
Ive bought and returned it 2x because its like feeding your ears dry sonic chalk, as compared to the better Hifiman gear (including the XS)
Do you like the Edition XS more than the Arya V3?

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 8
No.

Thanks I'll go with the XS then.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 8
For the money the Sundara, XS, and HE-6SEv* have the bases covered.

However, here is a big hole between the Ananda and Arya price wise. If they came out with a plain jane slightly detuned Arya for $1099.- it would sell well, or better yet do what they did with many of the other cans - drop the price to $1099 on the Arya with a new killer can offered at $1895. Call it "Shiva".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back