Suitable replacement for MKC caps
Feb 1, 2005 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
Hi, I'd like to replace some WIMA MKC10 (polycarbonate I believe) caps in switching power supply and tube amp duties. What is a good replacement/upgrade for these? Should I stick with WIMA MKP10? How about Panasonic's metallized polyprops?

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 4
Any MKP-type should be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

EDIT: I have heard good things about the Panasonics and the MKP10-series, whereas the MKP-4s from Wima should be bad for audio (no personal experience, just hearsay). The differences are probably not night-and-day though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 4
What is the pin spacing and ratings ? Is space an issue ?

Polycarbonate capacitors are good, but they were discontinued at some point in 1999 I believe. That's when Bayer as the last producer of the polycarbonate foil/film used in caps ceased production. If it's for signal path Polycarbonate is the best if you don't have much space. Polyester (MKS) is smaller but should be avoided if you can. At least i thought the Wima MKS4 sucked compared to the same rating (1.0 UF) Evox "piss yellow" polycarbonates.

If you have enough space just go for MKPs / polypropylene like Nisbeth said
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: From http://www.capacitors.com/picking_ca...rs/pickcap.htm :

Quote:

Teflon may well be the best dielectric of all for audio, but is produced in limited volume and is generally not practical. Parylene is an excellent dielectric also, but limited in electrical size ( 1 uF or less) and not widely available. Polycarbonate is perhaps the next best all-around choice behind these and is generally available in a wide range of values.

Polyester types are the most widely available for all the films and are already widely used in many audio circuits. There is no doubt that this is due to the generally low cost of these capacitors, but convenience and low cost should not be primary selection criteria to a critical audiophile. Polyester capacitors can be readily heard in good systems, with defects similar to those described for tantalum but, of course, reduced in magnitude.

In our opinion, polyester capacitors should be very carefully applied in an audiophile's system, and any system using them in the signal path may potentially benefit by the substitution of (equal value, voltage and tolerance) polypropylenes or polycarbonates.

Feb 2, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Pin spacing is 10 and 15mm. I'm looking for 630V ones. .047uf and .01uf

I'm definitly gettin MKPs. It was just a matter of which ones
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back