Suggestions from current & former owners of ATH - AD2000 headphones?
Aug 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HawaiiR

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

So I've been the happy owner of a pair the Audio Technica's mentioned above for some time now. A HUGE thank you to everyone on the boards that helped guide me to that decision. I have absolutely loved the headphones since purchase.

That said, I think it's time for me to get another pair of cans that are "the next step up" or at least a somewhat linear move. I'm keeping the AD2000's, no question about that, but I think my ears are ready for another treat. 

What I've been looking at are the following:
Sennheiser HD700 (or 800's?)
HiFiman HE-5 LE
AKG K702 or Q701 (step down perhaps?)
Beyerdynamic T70 or T90

I hear the Audeze LCD2's are supposed to be great for electronic music (what I listen to mostly), but they just look like monstrous beasts in my eyes - maybe some day I'll get over that and pick up a pair.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 18
Heya,

Electronic music. Ahh. Yea, you're looking for a whole new world of sound. The sound of delicious, gooey, wrap-up-and-press-your-face-in-it world of 30hz with authority.

Denon D7000 (or equivalent of the new line up); or D5000 (or equivalent in the new line up).
Ultrasone PRO 2900
Hifiman HE-400

Beyer T1
LCD2

Very best,

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
Heya,

Electronic music. Ahh. Yea, you're looking for a whole new world of sound. The sound of delicious, gooey, wrap-up-and-press-your-face-in-it world of 30hz with authority.

Denon D7000 (or equivalent of the new line up); or D5000 (or equivalent in the new line up).
Ultrasone PRO 2900
Hifiman HE-400

Beyer T1
LCD2

Very best,

Ha! Nice to know you appreciate the same music (or similar stuff at least). And I see you've got quite an inventory of headphones.

Let me ask you a few questions if I may:
  1. Why the HE-400 over the HE-5 or HE-5LE?
  2. What are your thoughts on the AKG K701/Q701? Are these not what I'm looking for?
  3. Differences between D7000 and D5000?

The T1's have been on my radar. LCD2 as well (just wish they weren't so damn bulky and ugly) - not sure if I'm ready to breach the $1K price tag just yet. I dunno... maybe I will if the sub $1k cans don't wow me enough.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 18
The AD2K is a unique breed of headphone and you're not going to find anything else remotely like it. Which leads me to ask what sort of "treat" you're looking for.

I currently own the HD800 and previously owned the HE-5LE, K702, K701, and T70. I'm open to answering any specific questions (but not via PM).
wink.gif

For electronica as the wide genre as it is, I use the HD800 specifically for ambient and some IDM. The AD2K takes up every other sub-genre for me - breakbeat, trance/techno, trip-hop, industrial, etc.

If you want something with mega-loads of bass that will sound completely unlike the AD2K yet still be effective for electronica, I'd recommend the discontinued AKG K340, which has completely opposite amping requirements (needs very high levels of voltage).

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Ha! Nice to know you appreciate the same music (or similar stuff at least). And I see you've got quite an inventory of headphones.

Let me ask you a few questions if I may:
  1. Why the HE-400 over the HE-5 or HE-5LE?
  2. What are your thoughts on the AKG K701/Q701? Are these not what I'm looking for?
  3. Differences between D7000 and D5000?

The T1's have been on my radar. LCD2 as well (just wish they weren't so damn bulky and ugly) - not sure if I'm ready to breach the $1K price tag just yet. I dunno... maybe I will if the sub $1k cans don't wow me enough.

Heya,

HE400 simply because for it's cost, you get a fast, thumpy, sub-bass capable ortho with a cool crisp sound from top to bottom. It really is a special headphone. Excellent for electronic.
Having the K701 and Q701, the Q701 is much more appreciable for electronic, but even then, I don't use them at all for anything that calls for interesting and soothing sub-bass tones. They just don't fill the room, so to speak.
The D7000 is balanced, the D5000 has a pronounced mid-bass hump and very nice sub-bass bump and is less expensive. Get the 7000 if you want the best in everything. Get the 5000 if you want a great but not expensive headphone.

Frankly most high-ends I've touched just didn't do electronic super great. I tend to go backwards down from highend when it comes to that. That whole, hi in fi, isn't always the fi you need for the genre. Sometimes less than hi in your fi is better. It comes down to how it sounds to you. For electronic for example, I love the D5000 over everything else I've put on my ears. It just does it the way I want it to be short of using my speaker setups. I've also found that closed headphones just do it for me when it comes to electronic as well, open air just doesn't have the impact that a closed headphone does. Just one of those preference things.

Very best,

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
The AD2K is a unique breed of headphone and you're not going to find anything else remotely like it. Which leads me to ask what sort of "treat" you're looking for.

I currently own the HD800 and previously owned the HE-5LE, K702, K701, and T70. I'm open to answering any specific questions (but not via PM).
wink.gif

For electronica as the wide genre as it is, I use the HD800 specifically for ambient and some IDM. The AD2K takes up every other sub-genre for me - breakbeat, trance/techno, trip-hop, industrial, etc.

Thanks buddy - it was actually your review of the AD2K that finally convinced me to buy them. Thank you for that. It seems that you and I have very similar tastes in music - ambient, techno, house, trip-hop, downtempo, atmospheric dnb for me.

So the type of "treat" I'm looking for is the "wow" I first heard when I listened to the ATH W1000's after only having experienced Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii's (and other cans of lower quality). For me, at the time the W1K's were phenominal - only reason I didn't buy those immediately was b/c of this forum, which after reading and posting on eventually led to the AD2K's. Difference between the W1Ks and AD2K's - nominal, but you can tell the difference - no real "treat" stepping from the W1K to AD2K though. 

Have you ever experienced a Steve Dash or Phazon sound system at a club? That kind of treat. But without the 150K or having to own a nightclub bit.

Questions for you:
  1. Have you done reviews of the HE5LE, K702, T70's that you can point me to? I'd hate to ask you the same questions that you've answered already. From what you're suggesting in your response, it seems to me that none of those cans are worth my time, or at least they won't give me the "treat" I'm looking for.
  2. HD800 is definitely on my radar and want list. Have you tried the 700's? If so, any thoughts on them in regards to this specific style of music?

Thanks again.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Heya,

HE400 simply because for it's cost, you get a fast, thumpy, sub-bass capable ortho with a cool crisp sound from top to bottom. It really is a special headphone. Excellent for electronic.
Having the K701 and Q701, the Q701 is much more appreciable for electronic, but even then, I don't use them at all for anything that calls for interesting and soothing sub-bass tones. They just don't fill the room, so to speak.
The D7000 is balanced, the D5000 has a pronounced mid-bass hump and very nice sub-bass bump and is less expensive. Get the 7000 if you want the best in everything. Get the 5000 if you want a great but not expensive headphone.

Frankly most high-ends I've touched just didn't do electronic super great. I tend to go backwards down from highend when it comes to that. That whole, hi in fi, isn't always the fi you need for the genre. Sometimes less than hi in your fi is better. It comes down to how it sounds to you. For electronic for example, I love the D5000 over everything else I've put on my ears. It just does it the way I want it to be short of using my speaker setups. I've also found that closed headphones just do it for me when it comes to electronic as well, open air just doesn't have the impact that a closed headphone does. Just one of those preference things.

Very best,

Cool, in which case, maybe I'll try put them into consideration (400's). The Denon's do look nice, and have come recommended by a few others as well. I may just go for the 7000's if I do go for either of them. I almost don't mind the laid back kicks and bass of the open air headphones actually, but I think I need to try out some higher end closed backs. 

Really wish there were some decent places out here to test out some of these cans.

Thanks for the suggestions, MalVeauX...appreciate it!

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 18
I own the AD2Ks and did own T1,HD800,HE5,HE5LE,LCD-2. I dont think you will find anything in those cans that will surpass the AD2Ks. The LCD-2s will be the ones that are the furthest away from the AD2Ks, in term of signature.
They have a darker signature which can be found as less detailed before you adjust to them. These findings were with good source and good amp. Maybe you can keep the AD2Ks and change amp/dac?

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 18
I'll keep the amp/dac options in my pocket, too. Haven't tried that just yet - running a M-Audio Firewire Soundcard + Schiit Lyr combo, which probably isn't the best grouping, but it does the job. 
Not getting rid of the AD2K by any means (absolutely love them); was just looking for another set of cans that would impress - more detail, fuller sound, warmth and a tad more low end; I don't need a ton of bass, but a little more than the AD2K offers would be nice.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
So the type of "treat" I'm looking for is the "wow" I first heard when I listened to the ATH W1000's after only having experienced Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii's (and other cans of lower quality). For me, at the time the W1K's were phenominal - only reason I didn't buy those immediately was b/c of this forum, which after reading and posting on eventually led to the AD2K's. Difference between the W1Ks and AD2K's - nominal, but you can tell the difference - no real "treat" stepping from the W1K to AD2K though. 

Have you ever experienced a Steve Dash or Phazon sound system at a club? That kind of treat. But without the 150K or having to own a nightclub bit.

Questions for you:
  1. Have you done reviews of the HE5LE, K702, T70's that you can point me to? I'd hate to ask you the same questions that you've answered already. From what you're suggesting in your response, it seems to me that none of those cans are worth my time, or at least they won't give me the "treat" I'm looking for.
  2. HD800 is definitely on my radar and want list. Have you tried the 700's? If so, any thoughts on them in regards to this specific style of music?

Thanks again.

Not familiar with Steve Dash or Phazon, but if you want club-like bass, the K340 can deliver that, as well as the LCD-3 to an extent. The Grado PS1000 is also a fairly bassy headphone and has similar amp requirements as the AD2K, but I haven't heard it in too long to be able to comment on it further.

K701 (K702 is the same, just a different color and a cabling difference) and T70 reviews can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/asr-head-fi-threads-compendium. I also need to correct myself, I owned the HE-5, not the LE. I made a comparison to the HE-5 in my JH13 review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/482773/review-jh-audio-jh13

I mentioned the HD700 in my mini-review of the Shure SRH1840: http://www.head-fi.org/t/617007/mini-review-shure-srh1840. Not sure the HD700 would be ideal for bassy electronica. The only in-production headphone I've heard that I can recommend for that kind of music is the LCD-3.

I also found the Schiit Lyr to be a poor amp for the AD2K and would recommend a Dynalo or M3 instead for proper amping. I wrote a review of the Lyr: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580636/mini-review-schiit-lyr

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Not familiar with Steve Dash or Phazon, but if you want club-like bass, the K340 can deliver that, as well as the LCD-3 to an extent. The Grado PS1000 is also a fairly bassy headphone and has similar amp requirements as the AD2K, but I haven't heard it in too long to be able to comment on it further.

K701 (K702 is the same, just a different color and a cabling difference) and T70 reviews can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/asr-head-fi-threads-compendium. I also need to correct myself, I owned the HE-5, not the LE. I made a comparison to the HE-5 in my JH13 review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/482773/review-jh-audio-jh13

I mentioned the HD700 in my mini-review of the Shure SRH1840: http://www.head-fi.org/t/617007/mini-review-shure-srh1840. Not sure the HD700 would be ideal for bassy electronica. The only in-production headphone I've heard that I can recommend for that kind of music is the LCD-3.

I also found the Schiit Lyr to be a poor amp for the AD2K and would recommend a Dynalo or M3 instead for proper amping. I wrote a review of the Lyr: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580636/mini-review-schiit-lyr

Actually I'm not really looking for something overly bassy, to be honest. I kind of enjoy the laid back bass of the AD2K, but wouldn't mind a slight bit more punch - don't really need/want that much more. My reference to the Steve Dash / Phazon sound system was meant to imply (in addition to the wow factor) that I truly enjoy definition, clarity and balance in sound. The Dash/Phazon system was the first I ever heard in a club that truly embodied that. Of course I know I can't replicate that experience on a set of headphones, nor am I trying to turn my head into the next superclub, but it would be nice to experience that "wow my ears are in heaven" moment again. Maybe the $1k+ territory w/proper amping is the next step for me. 

I'll read your other reviews - you tend to be pretty accurate and detailed in your descriptions. 
I'm kinda thinking I may switch (or buy another) amp as well.

Mahalo!

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Actually I'm not really looking for something overly bassy, to be honest. I kind of enjoy the laid back bass of the AD2K, but wouldn't mind a slight bit more punch - don't really need/want that much more. My reference to the Steve Dash / Phazon sound system was meant to imply (in addition to the wow factor) that I truly enjoy definition, clarity and balance in sound. The Dash/Phazon system was the first I ever heard in a club that truly embodied that. Of course I know I can't replicate that experience on a set of headphones, nor am I trying to turn my head into the next superclub, but it would be nice to experience that "wow my ears are in heaven" moment again. Maybe the $1k+ territory w/proper amping is the next step for me. 

I'll read your other reviews - you tend to be pretty accurate and detailed in your descriptions. 
I'm kinda thinking I may switch (or buy another) amp as well.

Mahalo!

I think that if you like the AH-D2000, then you will absolutely love the Audeze LCD-2.

I upgraded from my AH-D2000 to them and it's pretty much got the same sort of sound, but with everything done 10x better. The bass is more clear, but still has amazing punch. The treble is just perfect for my taste and the mids are simply heavenly.

You will not regret it if you get the LCD-2.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 18
I think that if you like the AH-D2000, then you will absolutely love the Audeze LCD-2.

I upgraded from my AH-D2000 to them and it's pretty much got the same sort of sound, but with everything done 10x better. The bass is more clear, but still has amazing punch. The treble is just perfect for my taste and the mids are simply heavenly.

You will not regret it if you get the LCD-2.

Wow ten times better, what types of amps and sources where you using to achieve that result?

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Wow ten times better, what types of amps and sources where you using to achieve that result?

Not literally ten times better, but it is a vast improvement.

I am running FLAC/WAV/other Lossless --> Asus Xonar Essence ST --> Schiit Lyr -->AH-D2000/LCD-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back