Suggestions for Some Small Speakers for Office at Work?
Dec 11, 2006 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ArchiMark

Head-Fier
Well, finally got to the point where I need to get some fairly small, reasonably priced (+/- $50-100...) speakers for my office at work.

Since they're for work, they won't set at very high volume...but would like half-way decent sound if possible...

Here's the setup the speakers will be setup with:

iPod Photo 60GB (might bite the bullet and get it iModded in a while..)

DIY Paradise 'Charlize' amp

My understanding is that I can't connect one of those little powered subwoofers to the 'Charlize' due to its design. So assuming that's true, then would just get a left and right speaker...

Also, I don't want to go crazy price-wise as I'll leave these in the office and don't want to be upset if they disappear....don't plan on leaving iPod sitting on my desk though.... :wink:

Anyway, appreciate any and all suggestions...

Thanks,

Mark

Dec 19, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 8
After my last post, I checked the specs on those Insignia speakers that are such a good buy at Best Buy....says they're 18" tall and about 12" wide.

I don't have that much room in my office at work for speakers...at most maybe 6-12" tall and about 3-4" wide.

So really need to find some much smaller speakers than the Insignia's...

So, was wondering if I can just buy a pair of those small 'computer' speakers that are powered and just not turn on the power or is there a way to bypass the power??....

I went to store the other day and the only small-size and cheap price speakers are for computer or iPods and are powered units....so that's why I'd like to know if there's a way to use them un-powered...

Any suggestions???

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchiMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have that much room in my office at work for speakers...at most maybe 6-12" tall and about 3-4" wide.

4" wide means a 3.5" "woofer"...

I know it's not what you want to hear, but at that size, with no ability to use a sub, and at low volumes, using your amp would be a waste really. I would suggest finding another place for the amp for use with "real" speakers, and perhaps getting something like the $100 M-Audio powered desktop monitors which are right in your price and size range. (I can't attest to the quality myself but I've heard some good things about a couple models over the years)

Just my 2 cents of course, but from the gear I've heard, at that size and price I think you can get more bang for the buck with powered speakers. Not to mention less fuss and cables on your desk.

Dec 20, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 8
The online bb specs for these speakers are wrong. They are more like 13-14" high, and about 8 inches wide. Still too big for your purposes I guess. I can measure mine if you need to be more specific. Too be honest, they are $50 speakers.
Good ones, but still $50 dollars. . . OK maybe $100 speakers that sell for $40.

I'm not familiar with the amp you have. I quick search says it is at least somewhat similar to other tripath amps - i.e. output negatives not connected.

To be honest I don't think you'll find (m)any speakers that are 3-4" wide that have even near full range sound. One option for you would be to split the ipod ouput before it goes into your amp. That way you could feed half the signal
into a woofer, and the other half into your amp, then into little speakers.

Having tried several small systems over the years for office computer speakers, I ended up with a sonic t-amp driving a pair of B&W 600
bookshelves. It is not perfect, but it fits my space and actually sounds
pretty good.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for your candid opinion, devwild. It's better to hear it the way it is, then to sugar-coat things I think. Otherwise, why ask for everyone's input...

Think you have a good point about this amp...in fact I was starting think about the same thing the other day.....

Maybe I'll just use that amp at home where I can justify some other speakers....and get something like the M-Audio you refer to for the office....

Thanks!

Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4" wide means a 3.5" "woofer"...

I know it's not what you want to hear, but at that size, with no ability to use a sub, and at low volumes, using your amp would be a waste really. I would suggest finding another place for the amp for use with "real" speakers, and perhaps getting something like the $100 M-Audio powered desktop monitors which are right in your price and size range. (I can't attest to the quality myself but I've heard some good things about a couple models over the years)

Just my 2 cents of course, but from the gear I've heard, at that size and price I think you can get more bang for the buck with powered speakers. Not to mention less fuss and cables on your desk.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 8
Well, good to hear that they're not quite as big, dknightd....maybe I could go that big....

Maybe I'll check those Insignia's at BB after all....

Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The online bb specs for these speakers are wrong. They are more like 13-14" high, and about 8 inches wide. Still too big for your purposes I guess. I can measure mine if you need to be more specific. Too be honest, they are $50 speakers.
Good ones, but still $50 dollars. . . OK maybe $100 speakers that sell for $40.

I'm not familiar with the amp you have. I quick search says it is at least somewhat similar to other tripath amps - i.e. output negatives not connected.

To be honest I don't think you'll find (m)any speakers that are 3-4" wide that have even near full range sound. One option for you would be to split the ipod ouput before it goes into your amp. That way you could feed half the signal
into a woofer, and the other half into your amp, then into little speakers.

Having tried several small systems over the years for office computer speakers, I ended up with a sonic t-amp driving a pair of B&W 600
bookshelves. It is not perfect, but it fits my space and actually sounds
pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back