Suggestions for small head, unamped and comfortable headphones
Mar 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lubczyk

100+ Head-Fier

[size=10pt]Let me get first introduce myself. I have never owned a full-sized pair of headphones. I've almost always used a pair of in-ear-canal buds. I wear thick-frame glasses.  I also had a massive Ear Infection in my adult life and have had mild/severe Tinnitus ever since. I don't know whether the Tinnitus is from all the loud listening I've done or from the massive ear infection that I had as an adult. My hearing is really good, even though I'm convinced that I have Tinnitus. All my doctors say they can't pinpoint any cause of ear or hearing damage and that I pass all the hearing tests with flying colors. Maybe I'm just crazy and the sounds are just in my head. I also hear bassy sounds better from my right ear and human speech better from my left ear.[/size]

[size=10pt]I'd like a set of headphones that will not damage my hearing, so I'd like headphones where speech is clear and understandable even at lower volumes. I'd prefer something under $100, but I'd be willing to go up to $300. I wouldn't mind getting a pair every year, since I tend to go through a pair of desktop speakers every year or so. Warranties tend to be a pain with speakers. Super Comfort is also paramount. Open-Back or Closed doesn’t make a difference to me, since I tend to be in quiet environments.[/size]

[size=10pt]In terms of sound, I'd like a pair of full-sized earphones for movies and videogames as well as general music listening. I don’t want to deal with amps, unless the headphones come with them, or the amp is portable and easy to maintain. I’d like to be able to plug the headphones into generic stereo desktop speakers, the back of a general soundcard of an off-the-shelf PC (SoundBlaster or Realtek onboard soundcard) I'm not an expert in music terminology, but I enjoy bass, although all the bassy headphones I've tried drown out speech and mids and lows in movies, music and videogames. So a little bassy is good in my book. I don’t have a problem with the sound of the Skullcandy Skullcrushers, Beats by Dre. Studios or the Sol Republic Tracks HD, but I find the earphones really uncomfortable. The Skullcrushers fall off my tiny head and the Studio Beats and Sol Republic Tracks HD squeeze my ears to the point of being unwearable within 30 seconds. The Sony MDR XB500 has garbage sound with comfortable ear pads with an unbearable headband. The Sennheiser HD201 fall off my ears and the headband falls off my head. And I heard so many good things about Sennheiser too!!! What a shame. [/size]

[size=10pt]The two most comfortable pairs of headsets at the store I found were the Skullcandy RocNation Aviators and the Bose Quietcomfort 15. The Aviators had an awesome comfortable headband but the ear cups were suspect especially pinching the button of my ears. Adjusting the headband also didn’t seem to do much.[/size]

[size=10pt]The Bose QuietComfort 15 were super comfortable, both with headband and the ear cups. It feels like I could wear them all day long. The problem is that I don’t like Bose. Their products’ construction tends to be cheap and brittle and break easily and, well, its $300 USD!!! The headphones fit and feel perfect on my small head, and have great sound.  While I like the noise-canceling, I don’t’ need it at all, so I don’t know how they sound with it turned off.[/size]

[size=10pt]So, does anyone have a pair of headphones with a similar size, comfort and feel the Bose QuietComfort 15, but cheaper and with a better build quality? I’m just trying to give you an idea of what I like and don’t like so I can get better advice. Like I said, sub $100 would be preferred, but I’d be willing to go up to $300 if absolutely need be.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks for any advice and suggestions in advance!! I’ll also pay a visit to Guitar Center on Thursday to see what sets they have available there to try on.[/size]

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 3
You probably do have hearing damage. Unfortunately, the standard hearing test only tests up to 8000hz because it's focused on speech understanding. So you may have probably already lost some high frequency hearing. Try this: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

If comfort is paramount, you'd probably like a Beyerdynamic with its oversized pads. DT770 is the closed, DT880 is the open. Those are over $100 but should be under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back