suggestions for rather cheap closed full size cans please
Jul 6, 2010 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

benandjerry

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones where the two main priorities are comfort, and isolation, and audio quality as the third. Durability is worth taking into consideration as well I guess.

I'm not sure I got the english "head/hi fi terms" all figured out but I'm sure you'll get me anyway. :)

So preferably, I'm assuming I'll be looking at closed over the ear cans, but if there is a significant difference and still an acceptable comfort level, I guess on the ear models might be ok.

I currently got a pair of AKG K518DJ, while the audio quality is good, the comfort isnt exactly top of the class, which makes me think on the ear models might not be the best bet.

I dont really have a set budget but I'm not looking for some high end stuff, just something that would be ok for the mainstream guy listening to music, movies and what else is there. I was looking at a price comparision site reading through some customer reviews and some cheaper models got really good feedback, then again have to keep in mind those peoples requirements, experience and knowledge may vary, which is why I'm asking you pro's. :)

I'd love some suggestions, and I'll list a few I was looking at that was high on rank and got good customer reviews. I've probably missed many suitable alternatives as I picked the following purely through their ranks/reviews, and all models available in the US might not be available here either. I realize its not fair to compare all these models head to head as the price levels differs quite a bit between some and to some extent you always get what you pay for, so which ones do you get the most for the money and are best suited for me? Please feel free to suggest models that arent listed as well.

I appreciate you taking time to read through all this, and thanks in advance for any help with suggestions.

Philips SHP2500 - Really cheap, but got surprisingly good reviews, maybe comfort especially.
Sony XBR-MD500 / 700 - Looked like a decent option, but maybe overly bassy?
Sennheiser HD212 pro - Looked good overall, had a pair of HD200 (believe that was the model) which comfort was fine, and audio quality was good enough, assuming these are a step up from that.
Creative Aurvana Live - Got very good reviews, bit more expensive.
DENON AH-P372 - Not many reviews, and seem rare over here, but from the little I read about them they seem good, and estethically looks good imo.
Koss US29 - Seemed ok at their price level.
Koss Pro 3AA Titanium - Seemed pretty decent as well, very up and down in customer reviews.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 14
Welcome to Head-Fi (sorry about your wallet).

What will you be plugging these headphones into? 

What's the maximum you're willing to spend - and shipped to what country? 

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones where the two main priorities are comfort, and isolation, and audio quality as the third. Durability is worth taking into consideration as well I guess.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 14
The CAL! is supposed to be good value for money, D1001 drivers IIRC

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks guys!!

Mostly plugged into computer I guess. Would like to spend less than $100 on this I think, but again not really looking for audiophile stuff its what I get most for the $ whether its a $30 pair or a $100 pair. Any EU store would do as shipping is usually not that big of a problem within EU.

I'll have a closer look at the CAL. Stupid question, but what does IIRC stand for?

Thanks again, keep the suggestions coming please.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 14
If you like the AKG sound then the bottom of the range K44 is easy to drive, sounds superb, is made with durable plastics, isolates well and does not leak much sound. The large size creates a good soundstage and openness for closed backed cans.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Ultrasone HFi-450's...solid built with good isolation. 

They seem to be quite hard to find around here, and maybe a bit expensive.

Quote:
If you like the AKG sound then the bottom of the range K44 is easy to drive, sounds superb, is made with durable plastics, isolates well and does not leak much sound. The large size creates a good soundstage and openness for closed backed cans.

It seems like those cans are on the ear model so comfort may suffer? They were out of stock where I checked, but I'm sure I can find them elsewhere, I'll definitely keep them in mind as an option. My personal taste of the sound matters less on the headphones I'm after now, comfort and isolation is key for this pair.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep em coming.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 14
The K44 are around ear, circumaural and have big cups to take all ear sizes.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 14
OK then! The Sennheiser HD201 and if you like a bit more bass the HD202. Again the babys of the range at about £20. They are circumaural, closed backed, leak some sound, made from cheap by resilient plastics and sound very good, particularly the 201s as I am no bass head.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 14
Awesome, thanks a lot for taking the time to help with advice! I do actually own a pair of HD202, they're decent in all aspects, especially considering the price.

Are you aware of any good EU stores (or international for that matter if shipping prices are ok) that will ship all over EU?

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 14
Amazon and Play.com ship to most European countries and sell all of the headphones discussed.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 14
Great, thanks. Prices seems to be about the same as they are here locally. Only the K44 I was unable to find in stock in any store around here so if I decide to go for that then amazon surely will come in handy.

So far I'm leaning towards HD201 or HD202 (or maybe maybe those really cheap philips SHP2500) if I decide to go for a budget pair, and creative aurvana live looks good if I decide for something mid range. Only thing putting me off from those (except for the obvious, that they are slightly more pricey) is the first mp3 player I got was a creative one, it was really bad quality and broke after a couple months and my experience with their support service was absolutely horrid.

Got a week or 2 before I'll be ordering so all you audiophilaniacs, please feel free pitch in with more opinions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back