Suggestions for PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DSi audio.
Jan 28, 2011 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aero-R

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones or earphones for my PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DSi. I'm the owner of a Sennheiser CX300 and Sennheiser HD595. Unfortunately the CX300 have some problem on the left side after years & years of carefully use & enjoyment, so I've only tested the audio of this gaming hardware with the HD595 as a test. It sounds good but of course it's not a proper headphone for this portable gaming, I guess that with the low level of amplification these units give, the HD595 can't reproduce the sound source properly (correct me if I'm wrong) and of course it's something quite big for its use with a portable console (it does need an adaptor for its jack connector too). I'm looking for suggestions about which ones may be the best matchs to enjoy the sound of the games on those consoles, so any recommendation or whatever will be more than welcome.

I've a few doubts by the way:

1.- Between earphones and headphones, does the 2nd always give better audio quality? (I really don't know if the choice between the 1st and the 2nd is only based on the comfort, or if audio quality changes so much).

2.- I've heard always that open headphones have more fidelity than the closed ones because closed ones sacrify a bit of audio reproduction when isolating the noise out. Is that real?

3.- Which quantity of Ohms would you suggest? The HD595 I used, with its 50 Ohms, worked but of course the audio of the console was quite loud to give a decent amount of audio power to them. The less that I've to turn up the volume the better (because that would mean more hours of battery life when playing without AC connector), so I don't know what quantity of Ohms would be a proper one for these kind of devices. I've seen that some examples as the Sennheiser HD238 and HD228 goes with 32Ohms and 24 Ohms. Is that still much impedance?

The use that I do with these consoles is 95% of the time indoor, so if closed type headphones/earphones sacrify sound quality, I would go with the open ones for sure, because I won't use these consoles at outdoor so much, and in case that happens I guess it won't be on noisy ambients (so with a little bit more of volume it'll be more than perfect).

I've been doing searches looking for audio specs. for these portable consoles but I'm afraid I have not found anything. All I can tell you is that both connect throught 3'5mm Jack. I really enjoy video game soundtracks and I love the chiptunes from the old portable consoles (like game boy), that's why I'm looking for a good quality sound for the enjoyment of my favourite games. I'm a bit lost on this, so any opinion will be great. Thanks in advance for your time & support !

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 6
Bump

I've great offers on the next ones:

EARPHONES: CX400 V2, CX 350, CX 380 SPORT II

HEADPHONES: HD228, HD238, PX200 V2

A a few more I do not remember from list right now. The thing is that many of the CX are not listed anymore on the Sennheiser site so I can't compare them through there. My budget is like 50$, and I've great discounts if I bought from the Sennheiser ones, but I do not if I should get a HEAPHONE or EARPHONE and which one.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Well IMO to match the portability of the consoles, you should get pair of IEMs. And generally, in gaming, you either want a little extra bass response to feel the explosions and a wide soundstage depending on your preferred genre. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks Rndmness!

Between that line of CX by Sennheiser do you know which one is the best or something like that? I don't know if CX400 v2 is a good purchase, or if CX 380 SPORT II is better. I've searched bu I can't find any chart or review between some CXs. I've only own CX300 and it's nice but isn't the best..

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 6
On this moment I could buy Meelectronics IEM but I do prefer the headphones format. Anyone can suggest me headphones with great sensivity and low impedance?  I'm afradi the HD 238 Precision will be much for this source so I was thinking about HD 228, but I'm not sure if the difference between 16 and 24 ohms is so much and omre imoprtant, if they are  sensitive enough.

I do prefer headphones than IEM simply because of comfort, but I won't go with a bad sound quality/bad construction quality headphone because of its comfort. I was thinking about Meelec M11 or CW31, but may you suggest me any headphone below 50$ with that kind of good sound (great bass reproduction for those portable consoles and good sound)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back