Suggestions for dorm room computer speaker setup
Jul 29, 2017 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Bedroomdj

New Head-Fier
Hi i have a budget of lets call it $600 and that is pushing it, i may be able to up it to $7/800 but lets try to not go much over 6. im moving into my dorm which is about 11'x12' and 7'-9' tall. (Due to neighbors i was told that i should just get 2 speakers like the paradigm shift a2's, the use of any sub would bother neighbors and thus result in turning sub off or volume really low). im trying to decide whether i should either get something like the Focal SX 2.1 (2 satellites and a bass) or two studio monitors that are more expensive or 2 less expensive monitors and a sub. i primarily listen to various forms of house and edm but also listen to punk rock and gangster rap. if i do go for the studio monitors i want to get an active set, i dont want to think about dacs amps etc. i would prefer them to be usb and aux for computer and iphone use (charging would be nice but not required). something like the KLIPSCH R-15PM would be nice but i hear they have a very weak low end and are kind of bright which would not suit my music very well. some other things that have been recommended are the m audio bx5 or the audioengine 5+ or 5+N not sure what the difference is. i dont think i need more then a 5" speaker for the room. i plan to mostly be listening but i may decide to learn FL and start producing again in free time. (i used to use logic but then i got a pc). i do have a fio alpen 2k, not sure if relevant. a sub that was recommended was the dayton audio sub 8 which is a very cheap but supposedly quality sub. THANK YOU FOR READING and thank you for your advice.

Edit: will place more speakers that am considering as i find them here:
Jbl lsr305
Focal Alpha 50

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 2
The JBL 305s should do just fine, best sound of the pro speakers at anywhere near its price. If you need thumping bass and to listen loud grab some headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back