Suggestions for Decent Desktop Amp at Budget Price
Mar 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

kunalraiker

Headphoneus Supremus
I was at this head-fi meet recently and realized that a desktop amp is a must, my iBasso D4 just doesn't feel right when I heard other desktop amps.

I would like to limit it to $300 including shipping.

I don't need any bells and whistles, just nice detailed output with decent power.

EDIT-the list so far

Audio GD FUN
Audio GD C2
Dynalow
little dot I +

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 45
IIRC, someone is manufacturing a Dynalo for around $300 right now. Sorry I can't provide a URL, but it's come up a few times here. That's the one I'd go for.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, someone is manufacturing a Dynalo for around $300 right now. Sorry I can't provide a URL, but it's come up a few times here. That's the one I'd go for.

The Sheer Audio HA-006+, perhaps?

Website appears to be down for the moment, but there have been a couple review threads recently.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'am sorry, I seem to don't understand your post.Could you please emphasize details about the amp

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the one above. Shipping to Aus is 31USD from memory so 311USD all up. Takes about 5 days to get here from Taiwan.

I checked it, the shipping including is a little steep,is it really a bang for buck amp, what about the Yulong UA 188,I heard it yesterday, it was pretty decent for its price.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'am sorry, I seem to don't understand your post.Could you please emphasize details about the amp

Dynalo = headphone amp design by Kevin Gilmore, similar to what Justin at Headamp sells as the Gilmore Lite and GS1. Liked by DIYers but there's also a few 'commercial' options. There's also a Matrix MStage, a Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone for $250, also good stuff. Or the classic Little Dot MkV.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 45
Can't comment on the other amp but the HA006+ is a big bang for your buck. The dynalo has a huge rep and this slightly altered version sounds great for very little coinage.

For the nth time, Headamp is separate from Kevin Gilmore
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynalo = headphone amp design by Kevin Gilmore, similar to what he sells as the Gilmore Lite and GS1. Liked by DIYers but there's also a few 'commercial' options. There's also a Matrix MStage, a Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone for $250, also good stuff. Or the classic Little Dot MkV.

It seems you are searching for a nice home amp, what would you recommend for the AKG701's and also the Grados

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Can't comment on the other amp but the HA006+ is a big bang for your buck. The dynalo has a huge rep and this slightly altered version sounds great for very little coinage.

For the nth time, Headamp is separate from Kevin Gilmore
tongue.gif

I'am not sure, it seems almost double the price from the Yulong.What is the class A benefit.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 45
which headphone are you using for ?
Those in your siggy ?

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which headphone are you using for ?
Those in your siggy ?

I will be using the SR325is, will also be buying the 701's

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Well if you don't know the difference between Class A or AB or B etc, then you really need to do some research!

Start here. Decent article that will help you out.

I did study electronics,but that was years ago, don't work in that field,never did.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynalo = headphone amp design by Kevin Gilmore, similar to what he sells as the Gilmore Lite and GS1. Liked by DIYers but there's also a few 'commercial' options. There's also a Matrix MStage, a Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone for $250, also good stuff. Or the classic Little Dot MkV.

Just pointing out/clarifying that the Gilmore Lite, GS-1, GS-X are amps sold by Justin of Headamp, Kevin Gilmore is the designer of the Dynalo, but not the seller of those amps.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back