Suggestions for best portable amp for mono audio
May 19, 2013 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

someantics

New Head-Fier
(First post here - hello!)

In short - I'd appreciate suggestions for a cheap, portable amp (preferably with long battery life) that can output mono audio to both the left and right speakers of my headphones.

I'm around 85% deaf in my left ear, so although I can't hear much having sound coming out of the left ear bud helps 'balance' the sound in my head. Normally I use an iPhone for portable music, which has a mono setting in the Accessibility settings - this way I get I don't miss out on parts of the music but I keep it balanced; I'm going travelling soon and taking an iPod Classic instead which can't do this. I don't want to have audio just in one side. I've tried buying a mono to audio cable adapter, which sort of works but creates a slightly unsatisfactory sound.

Is a portable amp the best way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

May 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 2
I don't think an amp is going to work for this. I have seen headphones with a mono/stereo switch (check some of the DJ style headphones) - although I suspect that would be exactly the same thing as a cable adapter. Have you thought about simply reformatting all the music files as mono? I think there is software that can be used to process all the files as a batch operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back