Suggestions about climbing up the Grado/Alessandro line
Feb 3, 2004 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TMC

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of SR60 and have recently become more interested in rock after purchasing Evancence's album and listening more to Linkin Park. While the SR60 gives me plenty of enjoyable impact, I can't help but feel they are a bit rough around the edges sonically (and in build quality, but that's another issue). What I miss mostly is a bit more detailed sound, a little smoother treble and better defined soundstage. These complaints most probably have something to do with my other main headphones being the CD1700, that have all that except that energy found in the SR60. So right now I'm contemplating whether the MS-1 could satisfy my needs for a very good price, or whether I'd need to go the SR225 route instead. My current source is mainly a Zen Xtra with well-ripped mp3, and I might get a NAD 521BEE after the summer to use with an "ordinary" Meta42. if I'm looking to get about 75% of what the headphones are capable of with my Zen Xtra, would it be overkill to get SR225? Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 3, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 11
You should try getting a gilmore lite first and then see if you can live with CD1700's.

They sounded pretty nice on the lite. I'm sure the 225's would be fine too. But i think an amp upgrade is in line before getting either. For grados if you want something inexpensive, the CHA47 circuit sounds really nice with them.

Feb 3, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
You should try getting a gilmore lite first and then see if you can live with CD1700's.

They sounded pretty nice on the lite. I'm sure the 225's would be fine too. But i think an amp upgrade is in line before getting either. For grados if you want something inexpensive, the CHA47 circuit sounds really nice with them.

I don't have a really good source right now and am mainly going to use my headphones connected directly to the headphone out of my Zen Xtra. The reason is I need a fairly easily transportable system to and from school. So for now I don't think I'll need a new amp, but I'm looking for a headphone that can play rock well even without an amp. But when I'll invest in a stationary unit I'll make sure to check out the Gilmore lite.

Feb 3, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 11
My Grado/Alessandro line upgrade was SR-80 -->> MS-2. A big step, IMHO. With aluminium chambers you might look cool & different on the go (
cool.gif
), however they're heavier and longer chambers make them bulky for portable. In your case I would consider SR-225 and definitely use them with your Headsave Transit.

Feb 3, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the suggestions so far. If someone can tell me how MS-1 vs SR225 would differ on a decent portable I'd be grateful. BTW I'm using modded Senn pads on SR60 now and I'm not planning to use the Meta42 with my Zen Xtra since I can barely hear any difference with any of my headphones.

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 11
Well, I'm selling my SR60's to a guy at work who is just beginning with headphones. My second pair is SR80's which I love, but the wife wants her own pair, so I am going to try some SR325's and give her the SR80's. I'm getting addicted to this stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

I've discovered that I just love the brightness of the Grados...

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 11
If I can get my post count up to 10, I can get a discount at Headroom.

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 11
Enjoy your headroom discount... you just made 10!

Feb 4, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 11
Eh.... ok. Maybe someone else has some valuable input that actually have something to do with this thread?
wink.gif
No one who's had experience with both MS-1 and SR225, maybe even directly to a portable source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back