Suggestion: sales alerts forum
May 19, 2003 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
People seem to have different views on the whole, "Is it cool to post about eBay auctions?" thing. In addition to that, the regular headphone forum sometimes gets cluttered by posts of, "Hey, so-and-so-retailer has such-and-such obscure-crappy-new-hype headphone for only $30 refurb!"

So... why not have a seperate forum for things of that nature. Heard about a great sale? Want to share what you found at a music store's going out of business sale? See some oddball amp you've never heard of on eBay? Post it there and let people be free to reply and comment. Then if someone says, "Hey I got this for cheap at Best Buy" maybe someone else can reply, "Yeah, but Fry's has it for $5 less."

Just a thought. Any opinions?

May 19, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 23
I agree completely. I think this would make a great Sub-forum, such as the review sections in the Headphones, Amplifiers, and Source Forums.

I dont think it's absolutely critical to the day-to-day function of head-fi or the FS forum, but I would assume it could help keep things organized and maybe keep the debate/talking down in the main FS forum.

May 19, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 23
how bout we call it 'Cyber Deals'?

May 19, 2003 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 23
This idea has been thrown around and suggested to work as a subsection to the for sale forum akin to Take it Outside. I think this would work well and please most people.

May 19, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 23
I don't like the idea of notifing every Headfier of Ebay auctions. Having a seperate forum would encourage this practice. Actually, I think we should discourage the posting of all auctions, unless the amount is benefitting these forums, like Meier or Audio Valve.

May 19, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 23
great idea Kelly

i just posted about the ipod deal still on at dell
but i didn't know which forum to put it in

plus with the last deal dell had
alot of members said thew saw it too late because it was in the fs/trade forum

this idea will help alot
one place to look for deals
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 23
nm, deleted

May 19, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 23
The problem with the perspective from the anti-aucition posters is that it's not against forum rules to post about auctions. I'm not arguing for or against it, I'm just saying that if it's going to be allowed, let's make a place for it so that it doesn't muck up the Gear For Sale forum. I don't mind when someone says, "Hey, I just posted this for sale on eBay because you cheap asses wouldn't buy it from me," but it doesn't seem approriate to inform people of other auctions in the Gear For Sale forum. That's really more appropriate for a "Deals and Finds" forum or something to that effect. Many forums have this kind of thing going on. It's probably the most popular forum on the DVD sites because of all the coupon codes and sales--talk about a way to generate hype.

Anyway, those of you who do want the posting about other people's eBay auctions to be agains forum rules need to be running your own issue--it's really pretty separate to this one.

May 19, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 23
I like the idea of having a subsection to the For Sale Forum. Would like to see the auction or sale end date listed as well. A nice, but probably unfeasible, feature would be to have threads expire and disappear after the end date. Good idea Kelly.

May 19, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 23
I like this idea.. and I don't so much mind the idea of posting eBay auctions. Sure, the prices might be kept down if nobody knew about it.. but enough of us are eBay whores that we find out about everything.. everything.

The only real good deals are BIN deals, and with those, they never last long enough to argue over anyway..

Great idea.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 23
I think it is a great idea also. It would allow for postings inside the thread that normally get threads shutdown in the normal for sale forum. This would allow discussion, Q & A, and such to go one without fear of reprisal.

Another great idea Kelly.

May 19, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 23
I am so down for it, I hate how all these newbies keep flooding the for sale forum of useless crappy junk, which makes it hard for people to find out about stuff actually worth getting.

May 20, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I am so down for it, I hate how all these newbies keep flooding the for sale forum of useless crappy junk, which makes it hard for people to find out about stuff actually worth getting.

Yeah.. Like the thread making it's way toward death: "V6-on-ebay now!" ... That's a perfect example of something that doesn't need to be taking up space in the Gear For Sale forum..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back