Suggested HP Amp Connection Method...
Dec 6, 2004 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

walkman666

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, pardon the question that has been addressed here, but after doing a search and reading threads going back up to 2 years, I felt that I wanted to get a current opinion and one that took into consideration my specific home listening habits and components.

I am acquiring my first headphone amplifier to use with my Myryad MI-120 integrated amplifier and matching Myryad MC-100 compact disc player. I use the integrated amp only for playing CDs (no tapes, rarely listen to the radio). Based on what I have read, I could connect my new Pimeta to this combo in one of two ways:

1. through a tape loop (tape out) on the integrated amp.
2. direct through the compact disc player (which would require me to buy a splitter).

If you were me, which method would you choose to connect the HP amp, the tape out on the integrated amp or buying a splitter (say the vampire splitter sold by headroom) and connecting directly to the compact disc player?

Follow-up dumb question: If it choose method #1, when I put a CD into the compact disc player, I still have to select "CD" as the source, right? And when I do select "CD" as the source, the integrated amp still "talks to" the HP amp even though "tape 1" or "tape 2" (depending the tape loop to which I connect the Pimeta) is not selected?

Sorry for the potentially repeat "intro to headphone amps" questions...

thx, walkman666

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 6
Well, after reading through this thread I would probably use the tape out.
As for which way you have to set the input, I don't know. Those tape out things always confuse me.
icon10.gif

As you have probably noticed, the camp seems fairly evenly divided between tape out and splitters.

I wish I could be of more help. My CD player has two sets of outputs, so I never ran into this problem.

Edit; you may want to keep an eye on this thread, that guy is asking the same question.

Dec 6, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for the links Mr. PD. Looks like this is an age-old question, and has different answers for different components. I guess I'll try the tape out first, and maybe pick up a pair of rca splitters from radio shack and compare splitting my CD player's out to the amp.

thx, - walkman

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 6
In the other thread, I said I liked using tape outs. If you do get a splitter, the advantage would be that you were bypassing your integrated amp, so it wouldn't matter which input you had set on it....in fact, you could turn it off!
k1000smile.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 6
I've asked the same question, and gotten little in the way of responses. Since the jury is out on this one, I'd say just try it both ways. Personally, I will probably stick with my Vampire splitters (1 end to integrated, 1 end to headamp)/

Dec 7, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks nanahachi and daycart1. I think I will try it both ways, tape loop from the integrated amp and splitters from the cd player. I have seen an almost equal number of suggestions for both. thx again.

- walkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back