Subwoofer recommendations?
Mar 4, 2008 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently turned my 2 channel rig into a 2 channel home theater rig for my parents and I now need some recommendations for a sub. The system will be used for both music and HT use but the sub will most likely be turned off for music and only used for movies. It'll be hooked-up to an NAD C352 which only has a pre-out and no sub out so I need a sub that can accept a pre-amp signal. The sub will be paired with two Klipsch RF-82 floorstanders if that helps any. I've been looking into the Acoustech H100 and it seems to offer stellar performance for the money (The budget is pretty small so around $250-300) but I was wondering is there was anything else out there that I should be looking at. Thanks in advance!

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll be hooked-up to an NAD C352 which only has a pre-out and no sub out so I need a sub that can accept a pre-amp signal.

Almost any sub can take a preamp signal if you split the signal from the preamp into the sub, and then use the internal crossover to bandpass the signal.

Some subs also have a high level input where you can feed it the speaker output in parallel to your speakers.

In the under $300 range, there ain't much. The BIC is indeed one of the better ones.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Mar 6, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read good things (at avsforum) about the AV123 X-Sub
AV123.com - x-sub Subwoofer

I wouldn't recommend the X Sub right now b/c they are supposed to be coming out with a 10" woofer version.

The real performance/price gems in AV123 *were* the ULW and UFW sealed 10" subwoofers, especially with the new 500 watt sub amp with humongous transformers. I was able to order one while they were having a blowout for <$200
smily_headphones1.gif

attachment5ce6fadfax6.jpg

attachment5ce6c47dgw0.jpg

These are starting to be delivered this week, so if I were you, I would scour the AV123 "Classified" section in the coming weeks for those who are reselling theirs
smily_headphones1.gif

Classifieds - AV123.com Forum

If you are looking for even more power, check out the MFW and XPlosive subs, the former is shipping now with the latter still being built.
Home - av123

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the help guys! That UFW-10 looks great and I remember seeing it on AV123's site a while ago but it disappeared when I went to look back recently. I think a sub like that X-sub would probably fit the room better physically but I'm not completely sold on the ported design and it doesn't look very aesthetically pleasing. I'll probably try and find one of those UFW-10s used and hopefully the shipping won't kill me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back