Subwoofer + Headphones and how I pulled it off.
Apr 23, 2005 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

GreenEggs313

100+ Head-Fier
My Dell came with some harman/kardon POS 2.1 speakers. They're the type that uses 1 power cord to power all 3 units, and basically wires between the satellites and sub provide each other with the signal and power. It's hard to explain.

Anyway.............I never use my speakers but i heard about using a sub with headphones so you can actually feel the bass. I wanted to try it out. I got a splitter and hooked up my SR-60s and speakers to my soundcard. But because of the way the speakers were designed, you can't just use the sub, it needs to get the signal from the right sattelite. I didn't want the right satellite to play (because it really sucks) so i removed the plastic cover and just jabbed the speaker cone with a pair of scissors until sound stopped coming from it.

The sub sucks, but it really adds impact!
eek.gif
I like it alot.

Apr 23, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 19
i thought u were going to do some crazy DIY driver removal, i started laughing out loud when the scissors came out.. AHAHaa.. thats great ;-D i may have to try to mod one of my computer speaker sets for the bass also

Apr 23, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenEggs313
I didn't want the right satellite to play (because it really sucks) so i removed the plastic cover and just jabbed the speaker cone with a pair of scissors until sound stopped coming from it.

The sub sucks, but it really adds impact!
eek.gif
I like it alot.

ROFLMAO
icon10.gif

Thanks for cheering up a rainy day

Apr 23, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 19
So, is this whole process worthwhile if it is used with a good sub? This sounds like a cool idea because I'd really like powerful bass, but I have really bad speakers/sub. So, would it be better to buy a new set of speakers with a better sub, or is it possible to buy just a new sub and somehow hook only the sub to my headphones?

Apr 23, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
So, is this whole process worthwhile if it is used with a good sub? This sounds like a cool idea because I'd really like powerful bass, but I have really bad speakers/sub. So, would it be better to buy a new set of speakers with a better sub, or is it possible to buy just a new sub and somehow hook only the sub to my headphones?

I'd say any sub would work. I have a very crappy sub and I think it sounds fantastic with my SR60s. I like bass though. I think it makes music sound alot more natural. My sub has a "woofer volume" knob that I can turn to dial in the right amount of bass, so it's never too boomy or overbearing.

Hooking it up is the hard thing. i'll try to explain the setup better:

1. it starts at my external usb turtle beach soundcard.
2. i use a cheapo Y-splitter and connect my SR60s and the 1/8 jack of my speaker set
3. my right satellite is needed because it has the power switch. i have no idea why. i made it shut up with the scissors.

i have no idea how you could hook only a sub up to a computer any other way. basically i have my speakers and headphones plugged in, but i silenced the satellites (the left channel can be unplugged, but the right channel has to be on for the sub to work).

It would probably be better with a better sub, but this is a real easy way to add the impact of bass that you lose when you listen to headphones.

i'll try to find the type of 2.1 speakers i used.................they were bundled and have no sort of product number on them, but i'll try

Apr 23, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 19
For $38 you can get the "AURA PRO BASS SHAKER" and attach it to your couch/chair/seat-platform/whatever and get the bass feeling effect. I heard about them through someone big into home theater.

Aura Pro Bass Shaker

Apr 23, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 19
check the diagram. it might explain better. i only found 1 pic of my speakers, and it was on some korean auction site. go figure

greeneggssetup.jpg

Apr 23, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 19
interesting I have an old pair of altec lansing acs56's that you plug everything into the sub, however the front right does have power/volume/etc on it. I wonder if i could leave it unplugged and still get the sub to work....I also wonder how much it would piss off my roommate
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by stinn
interesting I have an old pair of altec lansing acs56's that you plug everything into the sub, however the front right does have power/volume/etc on it. I wonder if i could leave it unplugged and still get the sub to work....I also wonder how much it would piss off my roommate
wink.gif

If he gets pissed bust out the sissors!
blink.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenEggs313
I didn't want the right satellite to play (because it really sucks) so i removed the plastic cover and just jabbed the speaker cone with a pair of scissors until sound stopped coming from it.

Thank you. That was one of the funniest things i've ever read on head-fi.

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Thank you. That was one of the funniest things i've ever read on head-fi.

What he said. I take it your a break the door open instead of picking the lock, kinda guy.

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
For $38 you can get the "AURA PRO BASS SHAKER" and attach it to your couch/chair/seat-platform/whatever and get the bass feeling effect. I heard about them through someone big into home theater.

Aura Pro Bass Shaker

I've thought about trying that but I wonder how to integrate it in my setup. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back