Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 28, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #676 of 990
I certainly cannot understand how anyone would want less warm than it as a pairing for Storm, only more.
I guess I am one of those people. I would like my listening experience to be least colored as possible. I prefer to hear music with no house sound added. And with aging, warmer sounds are becoming ever more dull for me.

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #677 of 990
I didn't see anyone suggest this, but for a significantly less expensive and smaller DAP than the 320Max that still synergizes pretty well with Storm, you might consider the Hiby R6 Pro II.

As far as "adding warmth" to Storm goes, I agree with mbirand here. Basically the reason I won't pair it with the Eletech Ode to Laura cable, even though in terms of appearance and ergonomics it's my ideal. I tested the pairing at Canjam and didn't like how warm it was.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #678 of 990
i wish adding music files (flacs/dsds) to and playing them from iphone was somehow a simpler(or possible) process. i would definitely get myself a dc elite and forget about the issues that come with DAPs. and keep the TOTL sessions to a well built desktop…

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #679 of 990
As far as "adding warmth" to Storm goes, I agree with mbirand here.
i had many second thoughts on Symphony cable just because it is said to have more warmth against stock Mira cable.
but I was assured that slight warmth doesn't come at the expense of extension of the highs and neutrality so i gave it a go.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #687 of 990
has anyone tried STORM with AIC-10 ? could i ask for some impressions and perhaps a comparison against MK465 ?
Took me a while, but I found the time to connect my Storm to DAVE/MScaler/AIC10.
It’s definitely a few steps above any portable I own, and I will spend more time on this now that I know, but can assure you I’ll end up using my DX more with it as I already think the pairing is amazing, portable and easy to manage.

IMG_1377.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #688 of 990
IMG_9676.jpeg

I got in a mass kobo 433 yesterday, it’s a wonderful pairing with Storm. I’ve been trying the setup with different dacs; exogal comet, dx320max ti in phone output mode as I’m not a fan of that LO mode, and the dita navigator. Although each dac has a different sound to my ears I’m quite enjoying all of the pairings. With the masskobo 433, I find an improvement in dynamics, resolving ability, stage width/depth/height. My only minor gripe is the tonality of the treble feels a bit lifted which you can fix with the correct dac pairing anyways. Overall, pretty happy with the newest addition to my collection of source gear!

Happy listening y’all!
-tamtrum

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #689 of 990

I got in a mass kobo 433 yesterday, it’s a wonderful pairing with Storm. I’ve been trying the setup with different dacs; exogal comet, dx320max ti in phone output mode as I’m not a fan of that LO mode, and the dita navigator. Although each dac has a different sound to my ears I’m quite enjoying all of the pairings. With the masskobo 433, I find an improvement in dynamics, resolving ability, stage width/depth/height. My only minor gripe is the tonality of the treble feels a bit lifted which you can fix with the correct dac pairing anyways. Overall, pretty happy with the newest addition to my collection of source gear!

Happy listening y’all!
-tamtrum
you guys must be conspiring against me. been itching myself for the 465 lately.

enjoy your new toy. looks beautiful !!

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #690 of 990
you guys must be conspiring against me. been itching myself for the 465 lately.

enjoy your new toy. looks beautiful !!
I’m loving the setup but also why do I keep liking things that happen to be expensive 😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back