Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 18, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #617 of 997
Since the Storm will get its standard version released soon is there any chance we get a vendor or distributor in the EU? I know there is a vendor in England but since the UK left the EU it's a major hassle to import things from there. Especially if you need to send something back for repair it gets really expensive really quickly.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #619 of 997
Hi @antdroid
may I ask which Plussound are you currently using on the photo?
That‘s what I would be really interested in.
Thanks.

It is the Exo cable in standard copper. I also have some with Silver-plated copper too.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #620 of 997
Hey Subtonic,

Congratulations on accomplishing your goals with the Supply Chain hurdle hanging over everyone's head. I don't know how you made this possible.

Anyways, I like your attention to detail that I noticed via your website so I was curious about the type of internal wiring and soldering that was used in this product? Any special internal wiring? Silver? Any special Brand? Brand of solder? Mundorf? Regular or Supreme if Mundorf? I understand if you cannot share so ignore this post if that's the case.

Okay, good. low resistance, good. I don't mind mixing beryllium cooper with silver. I run WBT Cooper (RCA OUT) with Silver wiring on my C/IEM cable. https://kimber.com/connectors/wbt-0152cu. The synergy balances out as Silver-on-Silver is too much in most cases. So Cooper + Silver pairs well when implemented properly.

wbt0152cu.png

There's nothing like listening via WBTs -> C/IEMs.

But do you happen to offer IPX/T2? I know the Supply Chain in 2023 for IPX/T2 female socket is probably non-existent, but I delayed all my audio projects until 2024 so it's not a current issue. So crossing fingers maybe one day...

My priorities are:
  1. Comfort
  2. IPX/T2
  3. The rest of the attributes plays out well when your chain is solid.
But I won't be in the market for another good year plus. Just curious at this point as this is the only C/IEM that draws my interest ATM. My preference is Reference as my perfectly neutral optical chain plays as honesty as possible to the well-mastered source. And I mainly only play well-mastered Redbook [Black Triangle, Target (Orginal Mastering) https://targetcd.com/, MFSL, DCC, Japan 1st Press, etc.]. I'm not interested in Thump-thump C/IEMs as I don't listen to kPop.

I run a super tight chain with <1Ω throughout. Off-grid Super Capacitor Power with solid core wiring (<1Ω) -> State of the Art Clocks / Oscillators similar to what dCS has to offer (single MHz range not generic 44.1KHz) -> real-time low latency operating system (<1Ω) -> FPGA DAC (not generic DAC) -> GOAT perfectly neutral tone C/IEM cable (not generic OEM cables).

So I hope I can learn more about this product is 2023, but I'm taking a break until 2024. I was hoping to cluster my source to supercomputer status is 2023, but Supply Chain issue. So I'm quite particular and not willing to cut corners. This product I'm hoping fits the bill.

IMO my chain >= dCS Lina. I run no Mains, no tradtional amp, no generic software plus it's focused exclusively for C/IEMs so the Storm seems like a good fit. But one day. Audio hiatus needed in 2023 to stay balanced.

Anyways, I appeciate all the hard work you guys put in the last few years. Hope what you learn we can benefit with more future products. Hoping to visit Singapore in the next few years (I've been watching MRT fights on Youtube, so preparing a visit).

[Example of my chain, the OS, like to keep things super tight yo]
tight.png
With Cooper pairs, you will get superconductivity lol.

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #621 of 997
Hey everyone! Here to drop an update on what's going on lately.

We are pushing back our launch date for the RE STORM to February. We've been away at work tweaking with colour and finishing options on the metal faceplates. It has proven difficult to get exactly what we are looking for; but we're continuing to push through. We've had to tweak the faceplates over and over (10+ iterations at this point), but we are happy with where we are currently. Teasers soon :wink:

STORM aside, our next upcoming IEM will be showcased in CanJam SG 2024. We've been running testing sessions within our local community, and response has been great!

It's sound design is incredibly different from the STORM, opting for a bassy and warm tuning with a relaxed yet extended treble. Keep your eyes on it if you're a fan of sony M9 or hidition Violet :wink:

Since the Storm will get its standard version released soon is there any chance we get a vendor or distributor in the EU? I know there is a vendor in England but since the UK left the EU it's a major hassle to import things from there. Especially if you need to send something back for repair it gets really expensive really quickly.
We will look into this in the future, as Elise Audio is our exclusive UK & EU retailer. We're very selective with retailers as we look for incredibly passionate people to work with. If you have any suggestions or recommendations, do let us know!

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #622 of 997
We will look into this in the future, as Elise Audio is our exclusive UK & EU retailer. We're very selective with retailers as we look for incredibly passionate people to work with. If you have any suggestions or recommendations, do let us know!
Now obviously I'm located in Germany so my preferences will be according to that.

https://www.hifi-im-hinterhof.de/ Hifi im Hinterhof has a lot of Audio Equipment but also TVs and other stuff. They have a decent collection of IEMs and STORM would be a great fit. Being in Berlin it would also make it easier for people from outside of Germany to get their quickly via plane, train or car.

https://headphone.shop/ I haven't had any direct interactions with them but I've heard good things about them. They are headphone focused and have a good selection of IEMs. Being in Heidelberg they aren't quite as accessible as Berlin but having a decent online shop they might be able to compensate by providing demos on loan.

These are just some suggestions from my side. Not sure how interested these companies would be but I think more selection will always improve their attractiveness towards customers.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #623 of 997
Tube DAC in the house!

IMG_6541.jpeg

In an ideal world, we would be able to use a Primavera Trafomatic or some such high-end tube amp to drive IEMs (if you are one of those who want a desktop setup for IEMs in addition to DAPs).

However, because of limitations of desktop tube amps with noise and impedance, decided to bring in this well-regarded tube DAC and see how it synergizes with my Hifiman Serenade as an amp driving IEMs!

Will report back on findings.

Such lovely glow I missed.

PXL_20231220_174241228.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #624 of 997
Now obviously I'm located in Germany so my preferences will be according to that.

https://www.hifi-im-hinterhof.de/ Hifi im Hinterhof has a lot of Audio Equipment but also TVs and other stuff. They have a decent collection of IEMs and STORM would be a great fit. Being in Berlin it would also make it easier for people from outside of Germany to get their quickly via plane, train or car.

https://headphone.shop/ I haven't had any direct interactions with them but I've heard good things about them. They are headphone focused and have a good selection of IEMs. Being in Heidelberg they aren't quite as accessible as Berlin but having a decent online shop they might be able to compensate by providing demos on loan.

These are just some suggestions from my side. Not sure how interested these companies would be but I think more selection will always improve their attractiveness towards customers.
HiFi-im-Hinterhof is supplied by Headphone.store and the prices offered by the latter are beyond the good and bad.

Just one example: Xe6 for 4499 EUR, about 4928 USD: https://headphone.shop/de/produkt/fir-audio-xenon-6/. Fir Audio Berlin asked me for the Xe6 3200 EUR - yep, got it right.

If Headphone.store offers Storm, I bet you would save by buying in the UK and paying the customs fee. Nope, not a good idea these two...

Projekt-Akustik.de could be a good option, the good Torsten always makes good offers, a very professional and reliable address (even if it is also supplied by Headphone.store for some things).

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #625 of 997
UK is not in the EU. Customs duties are involved, might as well buy from USA or Asia, same difference.

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #626 of 997
Projekt-Akustik.de is an online store I had good experience with as well. Seems to be a relialbe address, as you mentioned @phiemon .
I also agree with you that headphone .shop is not a good solution because, in my opinion, as they couldn't focus enough on STORM and Subtonic products.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #627 of 997
Projekt-Akustik.de is an online store I had good experience with as well. Seems to be a relialbe address, as you mentioned @phiemon .
I also agree with you that headphone .shop is not a good solution because, in my opinion, as they couldn't focus enough on STORM and Subtonic products.
@toranku See? We could well imagine Projekt-Akustik.de. I could possibly mediate and talk to Mr. Torge Schönberg (CEO) if that can help.

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #630 of 997
I am such a forgetful person. I completely forgot there was a dedicated thread for the STORM on this site. Shout out to my good buddy Guy for allowing me the opportunity to listen to his personal pair of STORMs for an extended period of time. I’ll be happily sharing some thoughts on the set in the coming days when I can completely understand its entire story when it comes to its sound reproduction.

Long story short; it’s an absolutely incredible experience. It’s not a pair of IEMs, but rather a journey of audio everyone in the hobby should venture on if they have the opportunity to hear them.

I understand the price tag is astronomical, however, I can’t classify these as just an audio device, but rather an audio experience.

IMG_8458.jpeg

And what a stunner those face plates are.

My goodness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back