Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Sep 29, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #527 of 995
What is the turnaround time to get the faceplate updated? Not sure I can survive without storm if it's a long time 😂
We'll inform you when's the best time to send in your STORM for minimal turnaround time as we produce the faceplate in batches.

Sent a DM!

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Sep 29, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #528 of 995
STORM-37.jpg

Left is the updated faceplate! We widened the widths of the yellows and created deeper grooves in the black. The enamel now catches more light so it looks more multi-dimensional. This faceplate update is free for any STORM owner - they've all been offered the complementary upgrade.

Side note - we will be displaying at CanJam SoCal this weekend; hit us up at booth F13. We'll see you there!

Thanks @toranku ! Out of curiosity, is this upgrade really for the earliest launch edition orders?

My unit was from the June 2023 batch that shipped in July. I think those were some of the final units of the launch edition, so I’m wondering if I have these plates already. Based on looks, I think so. Can you advise?

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #529 of 995
Thanks @toranku ! Out of curiosity, is this upgrade really for the earliest launch edition orders?

My unit was from the June 2023 batch that shipped in July. I think those were some of the final units of the launch edition, so I’m wondering if I have these plates already. Based on looks, I think so. Can you advise?
Yes, you have the updated faceplates! Thank you for your support :o2smile:

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Oct 2, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #530 of 995
For anyone who likes FR measurements, I was able to get my Subtonic Storm unit on the B&K 5128 measurement setup at SoCal Canjam! The gray dotted line is the DF target but tilted downwards by -1dB per Octave

Link to the graph: https://listener800.github.io/5128?share=Custom_Diffuse_Field_Tilt,Storm&bass=0&tilt=-1

1696284458482.png

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #531 of 995
Did anyone else try the chain of DX320Max BAL LO -> Mass Kobo amplifier (475, 433, 394II, 465) -> Storm at Canjam? (obviously you had to bring your own 320max, don't think any vendor had one). How did it compare to 320Max without an external amplifier?

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #533 of 995
Out of curiosity, is the face plate going to stay the same for the regular edition? And is it still with the Mira? Looks like the Mira is out of production….
Faceplate is going to be different. Cable will be Mira 2W MK2, with Sovereign (2W) and Sovereign Symphony (4W) as upgrade options.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #535 of 995
Noted. I’ll have to try it in NYC then!
Mira 2W MK2 is the same as regular Mira but with custom hardware I believe.

Oct 3, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #537 of 995
can you share your impressions at least ?
Sorry, I wanted to see if others' impressions corroborated mine first. But I guess I'll tell you anyway:

I was honestly disappointed. I didn't hear any improvement with the 475, and 465 and 433 weren't a significant improvement. I didn't try it with the Topping DAC that he had on hand, unfortunately. 465 added some holographic quality to the sound, and I guess 433 did too if I paid attention, but it was much more subtle than I was led to believe it would be. I literally heard more significant changes in sound signature from the cables that I tried at the show, which goes against what I was expecting.
Full configuration:
- 320max (4.4 mm LO, ultimate mode, filter 2, Mangoplayer)
- 4.4mm to dual XLR 3-pin
- MK amp, high gain (briefly tried other gain settings, didn't seem to make a difference)
- XLR 4-pin to 4.4mm
- Storm (Mira 2w, 4.4mm, Divinus Velvet eartips)

There are a few possibilities of course. I haven't controlled for all variables beyond just the DAP. People who've heard more of a difference than me with this DAP might've been using Mira 4w for example, different tips, or different settings.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #538 of 995
Sorry, I wanted to see if others' impressions corroborated mine first. But I guess I'll tell you anyway:

I was honestly disappointed. I didn't hear any improvement with the 475, and 465 and 433 weren't a significant improvement. I didn't try it with the Topping DAC that he had on hand, unfortunately. 465 added some holographic quality to the sound, and I guess 433 did too if I paid attention, but it was much more subtle than I was led to believe it would be. I literally heard more significant changes in sound signature from the cables that I tried at the show, which goes against what I was expecting. I know that I remembered to put the 320max in LO and I was using a 4.4mm to dual 3-pin XLR adapter to feed the signal to the amps. I was using Mangoplayer, ultimate mode was on, and I had filter 2 set.
thanks for sharing. have you heard any other desktop system that made a significant change to the sound with storm ?

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #539 of 995
thanks for sharing. have you heard any other desktop system that made a significant change to the sound with storm ?
Yeah MMB2/Piety is a bit different/not really as good as 320Max. It's been months since I listened to that combo though (or either of those stack pieces for that matter). I briefly tried the Questyle CMA18 at the show but I didn't hear a significant difference there either, however I didn't A/B vs. 320M and was only working off memory with that one.

I may just suck as a listener. I do need a ton more practice.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #540 of 995
Comparing my Shanling M9 Plus to my Holo Bliss KTE + Holo May KTE + HQPlayer when used with STORM, I will note the following.

The Shanling M9 Plus is a warmer DAP and perfectly suits my tonal preferences in when paired with STORM. This pairing is excellent, probably my favourite alongside the iBasso DX320 Max Ti I was able to demo.

Holo stack results in a more neutral, flawlessly clean tonality throughout, never warm yet also never bright. Needless to say, the technical department of this pairing is phenomenal in all aspects, whether that be resolution, staging in all three dimensions of height, width, depth, dynamics and just overall control of the IEM. This easily surpasses any portable chain I have tried, and one would expect it to do so.

However, the degree of which these improvements exist aren't exactly blowing me away either. It's just not the same kind of difference in experience that using headphones on various setups has brought about. It certainly is a noticeable improvement, but I personally don't think using a desktop system for IEMs in general is worth it unless you also have headphones to pair with. It might also be worth noting that a lot of desktop amplifiers may have noise floor with IEMs, though STORM most likely won't have this issue. The dead-silent ones for most IEMs that pop-in mind immediately is Singxer SA-1, Sparkos Aries, and Holo Bliss. STORM on the M9 Plus is already making me more than happy enough.

When I was able to demo the Mass Kobo 475 with Shanling M9 OG and M9 Plus and there was a noticeable difference. Sound was unbelievably clean and neutral, you can immediately notice just how uncoloured the amp was, this was definitely the biggest standout. Dynamics were also improved and it also felt like there was a touch more treble. I don't really recall much about staging or other technical aspects, but given my memory of this was vague and didn't leave an immediate impression, I interpret it as being OK. The overall experience wasn't as mindblowing as it was hyped up to be from all the feedback and reviews I have been seeing regarding the device, and I think my expectations were far too high, expecting desktop system levels of performance. I will give it another go in a few weeks and re-confirm my thoughts though. I have no doubt this is one of the best portable amplifiers around however.

I did notice quite a difference between using Mojo2 with a 4.4 adapter for STORM versus adding a Cayin C9 into the chain, but with that being said, the Mojo2 does have quite poor amplification, and I will re-confirm how Cayin C9 influences the chain with M9 Plus soon.

TL;DR : Does the amplification make a difference? Yes, most definitely. Was it life-changing compared to STORM being driven off a flagship tier DAP and a must-have? For me, not necessarily. However, this is where I have to use a term I dislike : YMMV. To some, the differences between cables and eartips can already make-or-break their experience with an IEM, so obviously amplification matters are a no-brainer. Obviously at this point though, we're all aiming to gain maximum performance from our gear, and with this in mind then a portable amplifier is definitely recommended, though do consider the associated portability issues and if you will actually get the opportunity to use it.

Also on a side note, call me crazy, but the Thieaudio V16 Divinity is the most scaling IEM I have tried, in the sense that the sound drastically changes depending on source. Having tried it from gear like iFi Go Blu, FiiO BTR7, to mid-tier equipment like Chord Mojo2 + Poly, and also desktop gear such as Holo Bliss KTE, Holo May KTE, Burson Soloist 3X GT, Sparkos Aries, Chord Qutest & TT2, the amount of difference between each system is truly night and day. Now I'm sure the mid-tier and below equipment can't even give STORM the proper power it deserves, but you'd imagine an ultra-sensitive IEM like the Divinity to quickly max out, yet I had second thoughts about selling my V16 Divinity when STORM arrived having heard Divinity off Bliss + TT2. I couldn't believe I was listening to the same IEM. That being said, I just couldn't see myself using it with STORM present and using Bliss + TT2 to run Divinity is quite overkill...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back