Sub to Compliment Audioengine A5s
Dec 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by OICWUTUDIDTHAR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your sub doesnt have its own power connector?

Yeah. The sub is powered (internal amp, plugged into wall socket) but I assume there are certain sources that do not provide enough signal/level/voltage to push the sub to it's full potential under specific circumstances. The sub would still work, but the bass level would be compromised.

Sorry Duperman, I'm pretty new to this myself. No problem. I've received the answers I need, hijack away!

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry if I'm hijacking your thread i'm also a bigtime noob and am a little confused on how to hook up these subs to my computer stereo speakers. for example the krk and m-audio subwoofer manuals show them having both 1/4inch inputs/outputs, which means i can connect my bx5as to them and then connect them to my soundcards minijack with a y adapter, seems simple.

1/4" and RCA are same electrically just a different connector so you can just get an adapter.

As far as using a sub with BX5As.... do they have a subwoofer output? or an output of any kind? If you control the volume right on the BX5A's and they don't have a sub out put you'll just be controlling the volume on the speakers and not the sub which is obviously a problem.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #18 of 21
Hmm, the back of the monitors relatively barebones. Just an xlr and trs inputs, a volume knob, and power button. Yeah uh oh they're separately volume controlled, powered, and connected- I had to scavenge for a y cable to 1/8" to hook them to my computer. Theres no sub out option... does this mean the only options are subs I mentioned that have both 1/4"/rca inch inputs and outputs?

By the way if anyone else in canada still know of other decent subs on sale this week do tell! I sadly slept through boxing day
frown.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Hmm, the back of the monitors relatively barebones. Just an xlr and trs inputs, a volume knob, and power button. Yeah uh oh they're separately volume controlled, powered, and connected- I had to scavenge for a y cable to 1/8" to hook them to my computer. Theres no sub out option... does this mean the only options are subs I mentioned that have both 1/4"/rca inch inputs and outputs?

It really depends. Do you use the volume control on the monitors when you listen to music or just control it through software? If you use software you can just split the siginal with a Y cable to conect the sub but the monitors would still be playing bass thats ment for the sub.

Or if the sub has low level inputs you can run the output of the soundcard into the sub's amplifer and use it's built in crossover to high pass the monitors. This is the ideal way but a lot of the cheaper subs don't have low level inputs.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #20 of 21
No I don't touch the controls on the monitors...too much hassle, I leave them @ 1/4th volume and just adjust through the media player or through windows.

What about using vdr12s as example- looking at its manual I see it has 2 rca line input and outputs

http://www.velodyne.com/products/man...ev%20A_web.pdf

can I use 1/4in to rca cables to connect the monitors to the sub and then y cable for sub to computer, does that filter all the low frequencies to the subs only?

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

No I don't touch the controls on the monitors...too much hassle, I leave them @ 1/4th volume and just adjust through the media player or through windows.

What about using vdr12s as example- looking at its manual I see it has 2 rca line input and outputs

http://www.velodyne.com/products/man...ev%20A_web.pdf

can I use 1/4in to rca cables to connect the monitors to the sub and then y cable for sub to computer, does that filter all the low frequencies to the subs only?

With a sub like the Velodyne in that PDF you would use it the built in crossover. Because it has low level inputs (RCA in & out) you would run the output of your soudcard directly into the sub (RCA input) and the take the output to connect to your monitors. That way you are high-passing your monitors so they are not playing the low frequencies that only the sub should be playing. The result will be cleaner bass and lower distortion in the lower mid range from the monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back