Sub-bass IEM - Sony XB90 replacement
Apr 22, 2020 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

oHUTCHYo

Head-Fier
So my trusty XB90 died and I adored their subbass. Ive tried the XB75 which appear to be the current replacement but lack the feel of the 90s.

Main genre is techno and my source is a Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox. 95% of use is in the gym (weights, not cardio).

Budget up to ~£200. Ideally IEMs available in the UK but willing to import, though need to be mainstream availability. No wild goose chases.

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 19
Try looking into either the KZ ZSK or the Tin T2. Both $50, both have great reviews.
I've got the KZ ZS10 Pro, a step down from the KZ ZSK, and the ZSK supposedly has even better warmth and sub-bass. Do your research though!

Apr 25, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 19
Some bass-head IEMS (focus on sub-bass) off the top of my head:

TFZ No.3
DUNU DM-480
ISN D10
KZ ZS7 (it's bassier than the ZS10 Pro and ZSX)

I think you find most of them on Aliexpress, penon, linsoul. Not hard to get them!

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 19
Try looking into either the KZ ZSK or the Tin T2. Both $50, both have great reviews.
I've got the KZ ZS10 Pro, a step down from the KZ ZSK, and the ZSK supposedly has even better warmth and sub-bass. Do your research though!
This is a misinformed post.
The Tin T2 has no sub bass, literally. It has always been known to be light on the bass (and I own one so I can attest to it). You may be thinking of the TFZ T2 which DOES have a lot of sub bass. The Tin T2 is extremely neutral.
Also,
What is a ZSK? Surely you mean a ZSX.

The guy above who mentioned the TFZ No 3 is correct, go with that.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 19
This is a misinformed post.
The Tin T2 has no sub bass, literally. It has always been known to be light on the bass (and I own one so I can attest to it). You may be thinking of the TFZ T2 which DOES have a lot of sub bass. The Tin T2 is extremely neutral.
Also,
What is a ZSK? Surely you mean a ZSX.

The guy above who mentioned the TFZ No 3 is correct, go with that.

Thank you, may I ask if you have any experience with the iBasso IT01 amongst the TFZ No 3 and other recommendations?

Im learning the whole landscape is really different now than what it was when I was last looking several years ago.

Found this:

TFZ No.3 vs iBasso IT01

The IT01 has more sub-bass quantity than the No.3 and the extension is greater . The sub-bass reproduction on the IT01 is able to provide stronger rumble. The bass decay on the No.3 is quicker with agility. Bass texture on the IT01 is rendered smoother. The mid-bass on the IT01 has additional body which contributes to a fuller slam. Each bass note on the IT01 is articulated with more punch. The is a more impactful bass performance from the IT01. The midrange on the No.3 is expressed in clearer manner. The transparency level on the No.3 is slightly higher. The lower midrange on the IT01 has more body and male vocals sound thicker but with reduced presence. The upper midrange on the No.3 is boosted and the additional forwardness results in a more engaging female vocals presentation. The treble on the No.3 has better extension and it is able to render greater amount of air. The crisp has better definition on the No.3 with the additional sparkle injecting energy at the top end which creates a more vibrant treble expression. The treble on both is generally smooth but No.3 has the slight edge for clarity. Lastly, the soundstage expansion on both is natural. The No.3 has greater width magnitude and the depth on IT01 is more closed in.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 19
Thank you, may I ask if you have any experience with the iBasso IT01 amongst the TFZ No 3 and other recommendations?

Im learning the whole landscape is really different now than what it was when I was last looking several years ago.

Found this:

TFZ No.3 vs iBasso IT01

The IT01 has more sub-bass quantity than the No.3 and the extension is greater . The sub-bass reproduction on the IT01 is able to provide stronger rumble. The bass decay on the No.3 is quicker with agility. Bass texture on the IT01 is rendered smoother. The mid-bass on the IT01 has additional body which contributes to a fuller slam. Each bass note on the IT01 is articulated with more punch. The is a more impactful bass performance from the IT01. The midrange on the No.3 is expressed in clearer manner. The transparency level on the No.3 is slightly higher. The lower midrange on the IT01 has more body and male vocals sound thicker but with reduced presence. The upper midrange on the No.3 is boosted and the additional forwardness results in a more engaging female vocals presentation. The treble on the No.3 has better extension and it is able to render greater amount of air. The crisp has better definition on the No.3 with the additional sparkle injecting energy at the top end which creates a more vibrant treble expression. The treble on both is generally smooth but No.3 has the slight edge for clarity. Lastly, the soundstage expansion on both is natural. The No.3 has greater width magnitude and the depth on IT01 is more closed in.
I haven't heard the IT01, sorry. I have heard the KZ (and own) stuff mentioned, they don't hit as hard as the TFZ T2 Galaxy or No 3. I assure you that you won't be sorry getting the No 3 if sub-bass is what you're looking for (as well as decent technical ability).

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 19
So my trusty XB90 died and I adored their subbass. Ive tried the XB75 which appear to be the current replacement but lack the feel of the 90s.

Main genre is techno and my source is a Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox. 95% of use is in the gym (weights, not cardio).

Budget up to ~£200. Ideally IEMs available in the UK but willing to import, though need to be mainstream availability. No wild goose chases.

Yep I would agree with the others and second the TFZ No. 3 as a basshead IEM.

In fact u are in luck, it is on sale now at (Mass)drop for $70 USD. Lowest I've ever seen it go for first hand. I bought mine at $120 when it first came out about half a year ago. It's my go to for EDM and techno. Above average technicalities, though soundstage is average. Midbass bleeds a bit in view of the sheer bass quantity.

DUNU DM-480 has excellent subwoofer like subbass but the midbass is linear to the subbass, so it is not a basshead IEM in terms of quantity of midbass. But the bass is of high quality in being accurate and tight. So it depends if u prefer midbass > subbass or the other way round.

Good luck with your search!

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 19
In fact u are in luck, it is on sale now at (Mass)drop for $70 USD. Lowest I've ever seen it go for first hand. I bought mine at $120 when it first came out about half a year ago.

Update: ordered from Mass. may as well give them a shot for that price, though dread to think what import tax I’ll be hit with in to the UK. I’ll worry about that in June!

Just need to find some iBasso IT01 in the UK now. AMP3 have them for £90 but they are the red/blue, would have preferred black...

May 22, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 19
Update: ordered from Mass. may as well give them a shot for that price, though dread to think what import tax I’ll be hit with in to the UK. I’ll worry about that in June!

Just need to find some iBasso IT01 in the UK now. AMP3 have them for £90 but they are the red/blue, would have preferred black...

Hey there as a fellow former xb90ex owner who broke them (RIP :triportsad:) did you find the TFZ No.3 to be a good replacement for subbass? The xb75ap's didnt do it for me either.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 19
Hey there as a fellow former xb90ex owner who broke them (RIP :triportsad:) did you find the TFZ No.3 to be a good replacement for subbass? The xb75ap's didnt do it for me either.

Hi, they're not due to ship until June so likely July by the time they reach me in the UK.

In the meantime Ive bought some iBasso IT01. Very pleased but they dont have the sheer subbass thump and rumble that the XB90 did, very good IEM though and worthy for now.

RIP XB90, my condolences! :frowning2:

May 22, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 19
Hi, they're not due to ship until June so likely July by the time they reach me in the UK.

In the meantime Ive bought some iBasso IT01. Very pleased but they dont have the sheer subbass thump and rumble that the XB90 did, very good IEM though and worthy for now.

RIP XB90, my condolences! :frowning2:
Hope the iBasso's hold you over while looking for that now-extinct subbass, damn you Sony for discontinuing it :triportsad:

May 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #15 of 19
Hope the iBasso's hold you over while looking for that now-extinct subbass, damn you Sony for discontinuing it :triportsad:

59B2EB4E-B5C5-4840-A83C-A9AF44CEFE36.png

Sony didn’t discontinue it, they just super-sized it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back