sub $100 studio choices
Oct 20, 2004 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

skyskraper

Headphoneus Supremus
hey back from diy again for some more reccomendations
smily_headphones1.gif

i've had my ultrasone hfi500 dj1's for a couple of months now and theyre delicious for dj'ing with. but i have since added a pair of krk rokit rp8's to my studio setup and am no longer satisfied with the ultrasone's for primary headphone monitoring. the krk's bass response is a bit more extended and the high end is less fatigueing and more laid back and natural sounding. the ultrasone's bass response is non existant compared to the krk's and this is made more apparent by the in your face high end.

so here i am left pondering what i should go out and take a listen to. my housemate has (and i used to own some as well) sennheiser hd280's and whilst the high end isn't as hard as the ultrasone's, they still aren't what im looking for.

im keen to get something with a laidback natural sound, nice stereo width (one of the best things about the ultrasone's is the width of the sound i hear with them), and clarity that will bring out not only the goodness in the music i am writing and listening to, but also something that will show the defficiencies as well (i guess its honesty with richness, if it's possible).

i was about to buy some ex71's for my ipod, but i've since been reminded (due to lots of ipod use) that earphones "tire" my ears out. so i thought i'd chip in a few extra dollars and get a new pair of studio cans. i would like to use these with my ipod also, but they would be driven by an opa2227 powered mint during walkabout. in the studio they will be (for the moment until exams are over and i can finish my pimeta) driven by the headphone output on my waveterminal or my behringer mixer.

despite wanting portability, a fully closed can is not a requirement. however i do preffer circumaural to supra aural, and something that is comfortable for extended usage with a larger cranium wearing glasses.

i would save a bit more and go for the sennheiser hd25-1's if it wasnt for the fact that theyre incredibly uncomfortable for me to wear, unbearable in fact.

so can you guys reccomend me some choices up to the $100usd mark, that i should go and make an effort to listen to? the obvious choice is the akg k240s and i will be endeavouring to listen to some over the weekend.

believe me, i'd love to extend my budget to more then its current standing, however i am a poor student living off ramen atm. also buying second hand is out. i preffer not to with headphones, and i am in australia so preffer to not buy second hand trans globally as a rule.

i'd appreciate any input you guys can offer.

oh and as for the music. its electronic dance music. primarily progressive/tech/tribal house and a large slice of down tempo. so they need to keep up with quick sub layered and low end percussion.

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

SS

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 11
thanks! i will go listen to the 231's but i could not find the 531 on headphonics site or beyers.

the 7506's i had forgotten about in my original post, i will defn be checking them out. shame headphonic doesnt have them, theyre my local store
smily_headphones1.gif

also, what are the primary differences between the k240 series and the k141 series? they appear to be similarly priced and specced....

any more suggestions ?
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 11
So you're looking for cans to replace your HFI-500DJs? Please keep in mind the K240S are open and cannot be used in a DJing application. Honestly the HD 25-1s are not that bad once the headband gets a little stretched out and you put on velour earpads.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
also, what are the primary differences between the k240 series and the k141 series? they appear to be similarly priced and specced....

Do NOT even THINK about getting the 141s. Aside from being much less comfortable, they sound significantly worse.

Oct 21, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 11
i wont be replacing the hfi500's. i dont think i could give them up i love them for dj'ing that much. i was planning on just consigning them to the dj booth though. hence not needing a fully closed phone. i owned some hd 25's for 4 months a while back and they didnt seem to stretch much if any.

the 141's are no good? well ill steer clear, but im still interested to know what the differences may be if anyone can clear it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

would the grado SR80 be worth considering also?

For a studio-type reference use? No way.

I own a pair of the SR-80s, but they're more for visual "wow" factor than anything else. Sure, they've got pretty good dynamic range, but detail???? Uhm... no. At least, not the kind of detail you'd be looking for in a studio recording environment. It's more of a headphone for use once the finished product is burnt to wholesale lots.

You might want to look up a few notches on the Grado ladder.... Those might be more detailed. Also, there's the Allesandro spin off brand of Grado basically, which are a little cheaper.

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 11
thanks, i cant really afford to stretch my bduget, but i will look at the allessandro range, id not heard of them until recently....

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

thanks, i cant really afford to stretch my bduget, but i will look at the allessandro range, id not heard of them until recently....

No worries, that's what I'm here for....

Check this page out:

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

I would go no lower than the MS1s listed here, which happen to be within your budget of one c-note.

Keep in mind, these bad boys ARE NOT CLOSED in any way shape or form. When I'm listening to my Grado SR-80s at any kind of volume, people over 50-75 feet away can easily hear everything coming out of the headphones, in detail no less... Grados and Alessandros are by far the most open headphone you can buy imho.

-aow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back