stupid me, I started lookign at full-sized 'phones again
Oct 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

idvsego

100+ Head-Fier
I am finally happy with my IEM inventory so I accidentally started lookign at cans.  Originally I had a $50 Best Buy gift card I was trying to spend.  my searching has done what it normally does and the scope has now crept away from the orginal intent. I just want a good set of headphones now. If I can get them from BB, great. If not, fine. I like the sound sig of my S4. I need bass and some crispness to the highs is required too. Don't know if it is my actual hearing or if its my taste, but I tend to respond better to something like that. Usage will mainly be on my PC for movies/gaming/music but occasionally on my portables (Sansa Fuze+ and Zune 120). I am curious about any first hand experience about the cans below:

Koss UR55
Koss DJ100
Sony XB50
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD555

The first 3 can be found locally to audition and really are the budget I should stay in. Yes I know there is a great range of quality/price.  I am really looking for value and know that realistically these will get light usage.  The M50 is sexy and seems to have the strong bass I enjoy. The HD555 is very highly regarded and that is always a cool thing. Not really thinking they are ideal for what I want though. I will want to use them with my portable on occasion so the HD555 would need to be replugged, but I can do that.

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 8
ive had the hd555 and they were my first real set of cans.  i liked them a lot.  finally moved on to the ad700s because their better for gaming and for movies i think.  as for music, id go with the hd555.  its all up to what you want.  if you like your ears to breathe then get the hd555, if you dont sweat in your ears or like isolation get the m50's.  if you like bass, get the m50's.  i modded my hd555 heavily and i really enjoyed them after that.  if you want, you can send me your pair of hd555 if you get them, i can mod them for the soundstage mod, recable them for you with nylon techflex and the whole deal.  i can even make the cable detachable if you want.  can also make it dual entry cable as well for both sides detachable.  can also put some dynamat and fiberloft on the drivers.  the possiblities are endless on what i can do with those headphones.  if you want i can do it all fairly cheap, just like 5-10 dollars on top of shipping them to me and shipping them back.  i have tons of supplies here.  i already did a set for a guy on here.  if you want to know more about them id be happy to help, just PM me.  i basically know everything about the hd555.  all i know is if you listen to tons of music get the m50's.  but if you want something all around get the hd555 you won't be disappointed.  thanks!

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 8
If your looking for soemthing like S4's then either the XB500 or Shure SRH750DJ's will be better.

Also the songs in Best Buy you have to listen to for the XB500's do not do it justice at all.

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 8
I've heard all of those except for the XB500. The M50 would probably be best if you don't have an amp. It depends entirely on your preferences though and what sound signature you like.

I myself prefer the DJ 100 easily over any of them. The problem is that to me I no longer suggest them without any amp. My first pair was fine without burn in, but my second pair sounded like garbage without a lot of burn-in. They're still missing something. I broke my first due to a stupid mistake on my part. I liked them so much I bought a replacement! If you like lots of bass, don't get them. I liked my first pair for it's vocals and overall balanced sound signature. Koss may have quality control issues with this pair, but who knows.

UR-55 is good and I preferred them over the Porta Pro, but it might have been because I got a good fit.

555 is OK, but the DJ 100 and M50 are far better.

Actually none of those would meet your requirements for "Crisp highs". Not even the M50. That descriptions makes me think of something like a Grado or Beyer Dynamic headphone. All of them seem to have a bit of rolled off highs, even the M50 slightly, but not too bad.

Too bad Best Buy didn't carry the Maxell DHP-II. That'd meet ALL your requirements.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 8
I spent about 30 minutes in BB today playing with the demo stations.  some initial impressions...

Koss ur55 - I liked the sound but the fit and feel didnt wow me.  Basically I think they are decent but wll be my choice only if I cant justify funds for one of my other options.

Sony xb500 - more comfyu than I expected.  the pads are soft and fit all the way around my ears if I put them on right.  there is some serious bass potnential there but the tracks did suck and the right side was louder.  I like the flat cable.  A serious option for me.  I bet the movies would really roar in these.

HD248 - these sounded pretty good to me as well.  but mostly they were comfortable.  went right over my ear and sat lightly on my head.  they felt like they might come off but a couple of turns of the head and htey still felt secure.  these have me very curious about the 555 now.  jchristian44 I will keep your offer in mind and might be PMing you about some of those mods soon.

I am thinking about just getting a set of the 248 and the xb500 and using them at home for a while.  Then I will just see which one i start to go for more.

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 8
i checked the status on the EE hd555's and they do still go to 75 with the coupon, but they wont ship them anymore you have to pick them up at a store, and the closest one from me is in NJ and I'm from PA.  so just to tell you guys they aren't shipping them out anymore, probably because they got way too many orders.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
i checked the status on the EE hd555's and they do still go to 75 with the coupon, but they wont ship them anymore you have to pick them up at a store, and the closest one from me is in NJ and I'm from PA.  so just to tell you guys they aren't shipping them out anymore, probably because they got way too many orders.

I think they are just out of stock for online orders ATM. That was the impression I had after looking at my shopping cart. Call the 800 # they list and see if they have an ETA. Thankfully I ended up with a pair before they ran out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back