Stumptown meet Impressions: - Annual Portland Oregon meet Impressions
Sep 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #31 of 49
@ DAC , your akai was also there but it got lost in the crowd. I was hoping a few more folk would give me feedback but as is always the case - "TOO MUCH STUFF"

Of the people that did listen to the T50, the response was good. The T10's spent many hours in my hands before deemed suitable for public consumption and they really are a superb headphpone. I think I said this before but I consider them a mini T50 now that I have heard the T50. Same sig just smaller all round.

Now let me tell you a little story about a girl who dismissed my HP50 because she had already heard a pair at a previous table , well lets just say she was pleased that she succumbed to my uh their charm
wink.gif
. Perhaps one day I will send this pair out on a road trip.

The ID1 , fugliest phones next to duggeh's orthodome but comfy as "a sofa on your ears" (...sachu2009) Hard to believe they were stock. Beautiful top end, tuned to the bright side but good balance.

..dB

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #32 of 49
I wish I could have stayed longer but things happen (nothing serious). I see in the pictures there were some pieces I would have liked to have seen like the Woo amp. I'm ridiculously enamoured with tubes.

Being my first meet, I wasn't sure of the normal way of doing things such as, could I just pick up a pair of headphones and start listening? Turns out that seemed to be okay. The piece that I did see and found the most interesting was the Sony player in Yogi's set-up. The buttons were to neatest thing I've ever seen in a piece of stereo equipment. But I'm easily amused.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #33 of 49
Being in the market for some new 'stats, I really appreciate the comments on the Stax/Koss comparisons. Anyone got any more opinions? I'm building my own amp so the bias voltage is not an issue. I've spent several hours with the O2s, but I'm still not convinced they are qualitatively better than any other Stax, at least not when the price differential is factored in. They do a lot of things well, but they seem a little cool and thin to me, and they lack the "grunt" factor of a good dynamic cutting loose on a power chord. Never heard the Koss, curious how'd they compare.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #34 of 49
The ESP950 is most definitely a sleeper , it scales remarkably with decent amplification and presents a very different signature when compared to the O2. I bass is tighter which gives it an overall more aggressive feel compared to the warm tone of the O2. It really does make you sit up a pay attention while the O2 is great to kick back and be enveloped by the music..dB

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #35 of 49
I wasn't too interested in hearing the beautiful acoustic SACD's that they were using with the O2 (because I know electrostatics nail that kind of thing), so I stole jopagi's Juno Reactor CD from the table and popped it in to hear on the O2's. It worked surprisingly well, the bass was interesting, you couldn't feel it so much as you could just hear all the frequencies, which in itself was pretty amazing.

I only got through one song, but there were plenty of moments that shocked me because of how clear and crisp some of the sounds were. That would be a killer set of HP's to use everyday!

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #36 of 49
I couldn't help it, but every time I walk out into the club, I found myself staring at the IEM's sticking out of the ears of all the people on the treadmills and stairsteppers.
I didn't recognize any of them which goes to show you how many brands thier are that we don't know. I half expected Andrew to be out there giving auditions to the members. Just think how many people we could "Infect" with the Head-Fi bug.

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jopagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please let us help you with the heavy equipment next time Dr. Strangelove! Your equipment weight to body weight ratio was very high :)

I'm one who prefers not to make a scene and in this case it works towards my disadvantage haha.
I will take up the offer next time though, thank you.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #38 of 49
It was nice to see that all the tables were occupied and busy,this is a first.Does anyone here believe that maybe the time has come to take the Portland meet to the next level?I'm thinking at least move to a larger venue or at most organize a NW regional meet and welcome more sponsors,I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #39 of 49
I plan on attending the the Seattle Meet at the end of October which is still in it's planning stages, so maybe should go in numbers.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/so...-ii-ic-440021/

Maybe around January we can have a Northwest Regional Meet in the Olympia/Lacey area. I've been reading of Idaho and Utah Head-fi'ers that seem a little frustrated having to travel so maybe eastern Oregon. Somewhere near Pendleton. Maybe even Twin Falls, Boise, or Salt Lake? We could probably even get Tyll to come down from Boseman for that one. Yogi,,, would you like to start a thread to check interest?

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #40 of 49
Come on up Boomy, the more the merrier.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #41 of 49
Thanks KingStyles.
I plan on making hotel reservations once Big Poppa confirms the date. I have a few DIY baby tube amps I threw together and a HeadDirect EF2 some may want to listen to but other than that, It'll be more for me to get some listening time in on other rigs.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #42 of 49
Agreed. My thinking is that even after making our "annual" meet semi-annual for the last couple years, based on our steady growth, we've just about reached the limits of the RAC. Having a PNW meet would be awesome, and of course the further south of Seattle, the better (for us, anyway). So to push it down to Olympia would be a possible compromise.

At the same time, a true PNW meet should include folks from that "other" Vancouver area, right? In which case, Seattle would be much more centralized.

But perhaps further taking into account Boomy's points, it should simply be at a different location every time (BC, Pugetopolis, eatern WA, western ID, central OR, etc). That way nobody has the home field advantage more than once every few years -- just like the nat'l Head-fi meets. We'll plan them at least 6 mos out, with the meet always on a weekend in the summer (presumably easier for people to make a mini-vacation out of it)?

My suggestion would be to start with next summer in Seattle (and let those guys handle the logistics). Then after that, perhaps BC, then maybe Cour d'Alene, etc.

Then for Portland, we can have more frequent mini-meets. And while I shouldn't speak for KB, I think it may be consistent what he has in mind as well.

For Seattle SAS-II next month, I'd be interested to make it up to that as well, if it can be the 24th rather than Halloween.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #43 of 49
Speaking from a partly selfish standpoint - but also partly from experience - even if we are to move towards building a PNW meet, I would like to see the regular, normal size PDX meets continue as is (if a PNW meet is successful, perhaps move back to annual to balance it out). I think a PNW meet would be great, but I don't think we would be able to manage the same sort of attendance or culture presence as a PDX meet.

Myself included (which is why this is partly selfish
smily_headphones1.gif
), the PDX meets have typically had a noteable percentage of non-drivers - a side effect of living in a mass transit and bike friendly town, plus the college population where most of our portable-fi comes from (though unfortunately not as much in this meet). Car pooling gets a lot more complicated and time consuming when you travel out of town, and I think that's largely why past attempts to move a lump of PDXers to Seattle have failed. To me Olympia vs Seattle doesn't make a big difference as either is an extra time/effort/money commitment, and personally I'd rather have it in Seattle because I could go up and hang around town for a couple days. Unfortunately I have too much time off in the next couple months already to go to SAS.

I would also point out that meet sizes are very unpredictable - we've had meets this large in the past, if not with the same selection of toys, and then suddenly the next meet or two can be dead. You need something of constant interest to keep people coming back, and right now that's the DIY activity. If there's enough interest I think a regional meet with a DIY focus (not completely, but just pushing that aspect, get some people to do some demos and set up some discussions) would have the most chance of ongoing success, because it's a true evolving hobby rather than just listening to the same gear repeatedly, or hoping for a jem like the $1000+ IEMs and electrostats to draw attention.

Quote:

We could probably even get Tyll to come down from Boseman for that one.

Tyll still owes Portland a proper visit actually, he only got here for a weekday afternoon during his big tour, and he did say he wanted to come back.
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #44 of 49
If we do end up doing a PNW meet we would most likey end up seperating genre in a "CanJam" style of different rooms. So maybe the idea of booking a group of regular suites with the beds removed like the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival. Stax in one or two rooms, DIY in another, etc. Sponsors may wish to have thier own rooms for seperate selling point.. After all, it's not unreasonable to expect them to want some sales exposure. One more benefit would be for us to invite a few guests with little experience in head-fi. I'm sure the sponsors would like a chance to WOW them with thier products, Personally, I was pretty blown away by Maximo's IEM's and Ive been around for at least a little while. In addition we could get up some local postings in audio shops or health clubs. Something in the way of a poster of some pretty girl ( Let's face it, Sex Sells) on a treadmill with some Bling Bling custom IEM's in place tempting readers to come learn what real audio can sound like even in a workout setting. Or course we would not want to loose the personal touch of regional meets, but the seperate rooms would help control guest circulation.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #45 of 49
Looks like you had a nice time. Thanks for sharing!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back