Stuff Magazine: "Audiophiles get a life, cirrus logic codex is good enough!"
Dec 19, 2008 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Captain ?degard

Member of the Trade
Just got the newest norwegian stuff magazine with an ipod special. The people writing these magazines have the biggest lack of technical knowledge I have ever seen, its quite amusing. Anyways, in the ipod classic segment they wrote that when it first arrived, audiophiles claimed the wolfson codex (this isnt me spelling it wrong) was better. They said thay they (stuff magazine) thought it sounded good enough and ended with telling audiophiles to get a life.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 9
It's Stuff Magazine.

You guys should know by now not to care what any non-audio specific media says. No need to warn the world.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 9
^^^ Agreed.

Stuff Magazine (and its ilk) is geared toward males in their teens and 20s. While there are audiophiles in these demographics, they certainly don't comprise the majority.

They recommend Bose equipment for high-end sound. 'Nuff said.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 9
It's always easy to beat up on consumer magazines, but I more or less agree with Stuff. The iPod is just fine for what it is - an inexpensive portable music player. They're affordable, convenient, hold a lot of music, and sound reasonably good. A good pair of IEMs sounds pretty good from one.

If I want real fidelity, I'll go with vinyl, SACD, vacuum tubes, open headphones, and loudspeakers. It's ridiculous to expect that kind of performance from something the size of a deck of cards, so I just accept it for what it is. Same with the car stereo. I could move Heaven and Earth to make my car a better place to listen, but screw it. That'd be ridiculously expensive and the stock Pioneer stereo and speakers aren't that bad. Heck, I can even jack my iPod into it!

The iPod is the same. Maybe you could wring a little more out of it, but then it loses all of its advantages. You add two or three bulky boxes to it, cost triples (or more) and they become inconvenient to use. No thanks. I'll just use it for what it is and put the extra bucks into some nice NOS tubes.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Of course i know not to listen to anything they say, but its also rather amusing to see how far gone they are. Sure its a consumer magazine, but their level of technical errors is just beyond anything i've ever seen. Its like engadget on crack

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Sadly no surprise!
Lots of reporters out there writing reviews and such about things they have no clue about.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course i know not to listen to anything they say, but its also rather amusing to see how far gone they are. Sure its a consumer magazine, but their level of technical errors is just beyond anything i've ever seen. Its like engadget on crack

Yeah, but it's Stuff. I'm pretty sure the writers really don't give a crap. I used to read that as a teen, and not for the equipment commentary.
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The iPod is the same. Maybe you could wring a little more out of it, but then it loses all of its advantages. You add two or three bulky boxes to it, cost triples (or more) and they become inconvenient to use. No thanks.

x2

No amp for me either in my portable setup, it is not worth the hassle.

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Na, you know what? They're right. I'm going to sell my system. What was I thinking
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back