Studio Headphones Recommendation for Digital Audio course
Aug 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ak21

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have emailed my professor about buying studio headphones for digital audio course since its required, and he told me the first that comes to mind is The Seinheiser 280, but he will try to find his full list and email me it soon, however its been a week or so and I still haven't received any list (sent him a new email too regarding this 3 days ago). I know I am being a bit inpatient but I like to get my stuff early plus that way I have a lot of time to decide which headphones will be the best for the price. The course will consist of sound recording and editing, so I would require a pair that sounds most natural and that provides a lot of detail. Also looking for a pair that will be "closed"&  "circumaural".

I came across the Audio-Technica M30 for $40 or the M50S for $110, but I am no sound expert so I am not sure which ones to get or if those will fit my needs. Please let me know and all help is appreciated. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 12
I'd go for the AKG K240 even though they're a semi-open design; the sound for the money simply can't be beaten.... plus they look better than the senns. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Hi, I have emailed my professor about buying studio headphones for digital audio course since its required, and he told me the first that comes to mind is The Seinheiser 280, but he will try to find his full list and email me it soon, however its been a week or so and I still haven't received any list (sent him a new email too regarding this 3 days ago). I know I am being a bit inpatient but I like to get my stuff early plus that way I have a lot of time to decide which headphones will be the best for the price. The course will consist of sound recording and editing, so I would require a pair that sounds most natural and that provides a lot of detail. Also looking for a pair that will be "closed"&  "circumaural".

I came across the Audio-Technica M30 for $40 or the M50S for $110, but I am no sound expert so I am not sure which ones to get or if those will fit my needs. Please let me know and all help is appreciated. 

KRK KNS 6400
KRK KNS 8400
AKG K271 MK II
Beyer DT250
Shure SRH840
Brainwavz HM5

I'd go KRK on this one.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 12
How much can you spend?

Forget the M30's and 40's go for the M50's there is also the Shure SRH-840's for $200 or less some places and the KRK 6400's and 8400's. I think those 3 are better than the 280's or 380's there kinda hollow sounding like listening threw a guitar amp.

I like the DT-770's but the Pro 80ohm would be to bass heavy for studio stuff you could get the Denon D-2000's if you wanted every one else to be enviouse (besides the rapper cans croud) but they dont block out much noise.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the replies, I am leaning towards the KRK 8400's right now there for $114 on sale. Also I am willing to spend anything less then $150, preferably something that's $100 or less. Again whatever gets me the best value for the performance. Amazon.com right now has a sale on most headphones so as long as you think I should be able to find it around that price range after the sale feel free to mention it. 
I think those 3 are better than the 280's or 380's there kinda hollow sounding like listening threw a guitar amp.

What exactly do you mean by that? Is the KRK 8400 hollow sounding or the 280's or 380's? To me it sounds like a bad thing to sound hollow. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I am leaning towards the KRK 8400's right now there for $114 on sale. Also I am willing to spend anything less then $150, preferably something that's $100 or less. Again whatever gets me the best value for the performance. Amazon.com right now has a sale on most headphones so as long as you think I should be able to find it around that price range after the sale feel free to mention it. 

What exactly do you mean by that? Is the KRK 8400 hollow sounding or the 280's or 380's? To me it sounds like a bad thing to sound hollow. 

Yes it is bad, I mean the 280 and 380's, every one gives them great reviews but I thought they sounded like listening threw small speakers but they still had bass its hard to explain thats why I thought they sounded like listening to music from a guitar amp. The KRK's, Shure's and from what I have heard the M50's don't have this problem idk if they just have a little extra bass or what but they sound fuller and more like listening to a good set of speakers.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 12
+1 KRK KNS 8400

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 12
[size=10pt]Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I really appreciate everyone’s input and after reading your comments as well as reading some reviews I have decided to get the KRK 8400. I hope it meets and exceeds my expectations and this will actually be my first 'professional' headphone (I realize professional means different things to different people). [/size]

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 12
You can try the GMP 8.35, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

EDIT: with the 8.35 there is no need for hps amp.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 12
How about the Fostex T50RP's? I find the sound rather neutral, perfect for studio work.

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 12
SRH840

I've tried/owned a bunch at this price range now and none surpass it. It's just so versatile.

The treble is harsh out of the box but mellows out with use. The bass is what I would call perfect, which is why when you read about it half the people say it has too much and half say it doesn't have enough. Mids sound nether up close and grainy nor distant and muffled; they just sound there.Resolution blows away everything under $200 and many things over.

The HM5 clone I have (NVX XPT100) is super comfortable but as far as pure audio the Shure is better in literally every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back