stubbed toe...or broken?
Jul 1, 2005 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

stev310

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys this may sound funny lol but im in a ton of pain right now, i nailed the corner of the wall with my big toe and its sooo swolen right now. Can a stubbed toe be this bad? Or is it broken, i mean i can walk a little bit on it but i really hope its not broken. Anyone break their toe? Were they able to stand and walk a little...help me out
confused.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 21
Jul 1, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 21
Yeah, get it X-ray'ed when you can, just to rule out fracture or dislocation. If you have swelling/bruising, you can sometimes tell if it is fractured or soft-tissue rupture by how soon after the event the swelling/bruising starts...

You probably find the walking you are doing now is slightly uneven, or limping. Your great toe is one of the most important phalange in your foot, it provides a lot of feedback to your brain when you do weight bearing activities.

You might want to ice and keep it up, other than walking on it... just sit with ice on your toes and listen to your headphones...

Best of luck,
Overlunge

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 21
If it is all black and blue, chances are it is broken. I do not know if there is anything that can be done for it though, so it may not be worth it to get an x-ray. I believe I broke my big toe and it hurts like hell to walk and stand for a few days. Every once in a while it hurts if I have my weight on it if I am crouched down.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 21
I've always gone by the 'if you can move it, it aint broken' rule. If you can't move it, well...

a visit to the doctor won't hurt, though.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 21
happened once to me - a brick embedded halfway in the ground, tall grass and a soccer game all conspired to injure me.
frown.gif

in my case, it was a sprain. yes, there are muscles down there to sprain!
eek.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 21
The problem with breaking your big toe as opposed to the little one, is that you really don't have the option to say no to surgery. The big toe has a much bigger effect on balance and coordination than the others. I hope for your sake you just bruised the hell out of it.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 21
I remember absolutely slamming my right pinkie toe into a wooden chair leg once (a hard wooden chair) and that was just about the worst pain I've ever felt in my foot. It turned from brown to black/purple in about a day. I had to walk around Six Flags that day and every step was very painful, so I really had a bad time. I'm sure it was broken, it was so painful.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 21
I did my toe and didn't go to the doctor. Suffered for quite a long time and later found out that I had cracked my toe and it had healed. Left a bump on my toe as well though.

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 21
Normally, they don’t do much else but ordering rest, if a minor toe is broken in this country. It is apparently difficult to justify a treatment of something which will normally heal it self ("don’t fix what’s not broken"
wink.gif
tongue.gif
) let alone x-ray photo’s. X-ray might have come a long way, but facts remain: it is radiation.

I hope you get well soon!

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 21
wow, this is weird, i have the exact same thing i think! I was playing softball on saturday, i was the catcher, guy coming on home, ball gets thrown to me at the plate, runner slides under me smack dab in my toe. It hurt, could tell it was at least bruised, but it was the 1st inning and i had to play the whole game right?

Get home, look at it, its pretty black and blue, not the toe itself, just underneath the nail. I can walk on it fine, i can even press down against the toe from the top and its cool. My nail was getting kind of long too, so i decided to clip it, and then blood started oozing out of the side. Sorry if that sounds gross, it felt gross, but its been getting better, looks less discolored and feels better. I am assuming that it just got bruised from contact at homeplatevand the blood was like bruise blood, i would take pics but then that would be weird...

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 21
A couple of years ago after having one too many I slipped on the stairs and fell foot first down the stairs. 3 toes made contact with a post at the bottom of the stairs and all three were broken... seemed ok at the time.

The next morning was like "ouch" and I couldn't walk on the foot at all, a neighbour gave me a lift to the Hospital and all they did was tape them together and send me home with a set of crutches.... not exactly hi-tech but that's all that can be done apparantly.

The toes were pretty sore for a while and it was a good few weeks before I could walk properly but the worst bit comes once the toes are healed.... arthritis. It's weird but whenever It's a cold wet day the toes throb like mad but as soon as the weather clears up the toes are fine again.

Anyways, if your toe is broken you'll know about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back