Strong performing IEM's under $100
Oct 10, 2009 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ucrags84

100+ Head-Fier
I had a previous post about IEM's that was fairly convoluted, so I will just rewrite it completely.

I need a set of IEM's with a fairly rich midrange and decent highs at least, the lows need to be tight and defined. Right now, there are a pair of Dennon C551Ks sitting on my desk, they were my first foray into nicer IEM's, unfortunately I THINK they roll off after the 8k range, and the high end seems kind of harsh and fatiguing to listen to even from uncompressed audio sources.

So I need some IEM's where the high will not roll off as much, and be comfortable at least, with a fairly pronounced mids for vocals etc., and bass that exists but doesn't overpower. Unfortunately, I am POOR, and a $100 limit is all I can blow right now. So I want to hit the right pair of cans here.

All this needs to be easily driven by a portable unampped, preferably 32 ohm impedance or under.

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 23
Cresyn C750 has rich midrange, clear highs, good bass and some reviewers says it's midrange details are only little behind than UM3x. RE0 has extended highs with great mids and good enough bass. S4 has overall warm soundsignature with great mids, clear highs and strong bass.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 23
Take a look at the Philips SHE9850. Should fit your budget exactly. Maybe you like balanced armatures more than dynamics.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 23
what about the RE0? Fits into your budget and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I can't say anything about them, but I do have the RE2s. RE0 is supposed to be a higher end model, so I think you'll be pleased. BTW, whats your source?

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the RE0? Fits into your budget and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I can't say anything about them, but I do have the RE2s. RE0 is supposed to be a higher end model, so I think you'll be pleased. BTW, whats your source?

The iMetal 590 is a noticeable improvement imo over the RE0 based on a recent audition.

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 23
I would highly recommend the Shure SCL4 which you can find for around $70-$90 now-a-days. Although, their highs may become a tiny bit fatiguing to you over time. They are really a bargain for that price-range, considering I bought mine for $200.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 23
Oct 11, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 23
Yes, the search button only works for cool people like you. The rest of us...it's off limits. Us common folk do get those fancy privileges.
tongue.gif

RE0 will be a good option. $99, 30 day money back guarantee, great mids, extended top end, good bass extension albeit light in presence.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 23
I hated the RE0 myself. I preferred my V-Moda Vibe over it, and sent then back.
tongue.gif

Personal preference and what one is "used to" is a BIG deal.

In retrospect though, I find the RE0 functionally quite good and are better then I originally gave them credit for. I wrote a review on them and probably revised it about 5 times simply to take out my personal bias and preferences and get to the core of what the RE0 actually did well and what it did poorly. It originally sold for $170, not great bang for the buck, but $99 is actually a pretty good deal what what it is.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference though, and that makes headphone choice very, very tough without pretty much demoing everything at that price point.

For example, is the iMetal 590 a holistic improvement or simply a shift of traits that better suits your personal preference? What are the improvements? What aspects? How? Details.

I'll toss in Etymotic's ER4S/P as another contender. Pricing is a bit higher, but once in a while, you can snag a used one decently cheap. For a mid focused IEM with a good top end to boot and no desire for heavy bass, they're one of the best buys around. It's not uncommon for a used one to pop up for $120-$130, sometimes less. There was a no reserve one that was recently on eBay that sold for $113. Because you do want to stay unamped, the P version is what you want. There's a P version in the For Sale section for $130 right now. If you want to hear what a true reference product sounds like, the ER4 is it.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hated the RE0 myself. I preferred my V-Moda Vibe over it, and sent then back.
tongue.gif

Personal preference and what one is "used to" is a BIG deal.

In retrospect though, I find the RE0 functionally quite good and are better then I originally gave them credit for. I wrote a review on them and probably revised it about 5 times simply to take out my personal bias and preferences and get to the core of what the RE0 actually did well and what it did poorly. It originally sold for $170, not great bang for the buck, but $99 is actually a pretty good deal what what it is.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference though, and that makes headphone choice very, very tough without pretty much demoing everything at that price point.

For example, is the iMetal 590 a holistic improvement or simply a shift of traits that better suits your personal preference? What are the improvements? What aspects? How? Details.

Very true, personal preferences are very important when buying headphones. Even if you spend $500 on a pair and you didn't like it, it wouldn't be worth the money. I have the NE-7m which competes with the RE0, the only thing I really like it for is the bass for some songs.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iMetal 590 is a noticeable improvement imo over the RE0 based on a recent audition.

audition iems like in a shop? i havent seen any shops that audition iems.. isnt it unhygenic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back