Strong ginger beer
Oct 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

iriverdude

Banned
Looking for strong ginger beer tried this one but want more kick. Anyone know of one?

item_id476.jpg

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 20
Try Bundaberg Ginger Beer from Australia. It has a bit of a kick.

If you Google, there are several recipes available. Brewing soda is not difficult and you can make it for next to nothing. The catch is sterilizing and capping the bottles, but it's worth it.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 20
Oct 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 20
My preference is Stewart's but you can't get it everywhere. Last place i saw it was in Phoenix.

You might try Reed's Extra.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 20
x2 brew your own. Just to be clear, kick means heavy ginger content, or alcoholic? Because when you brew your own, you can have either. Or both.

It's a little time-consuming, but very easy. You need only ginger, sugar, and water. Maybe a couple limes and some molasses. You don't actually have to worry too much about sterilisation, and if you can get ahold of some flip-top bottles (1 litre bottles are a good size) you don't need to muck about with capping. I have a setup to do 2 gallon batches that cost under $30 to put together.

If you're really interested, PM me and I'll do a proper How-To.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 brew your own. Just to be clear, kick means heavy ginger content, or alcoholic? Because when you brew your own, you can have either. Or both.

It's a little time-consuming, but very easy. You need only ginger, sugar, and water. Maybe a couple limes and some molasses. You don't actually have to worry too much about sterilisation, and if you can get ahold of some flip-top bottles (1 litre bottles are a good size) you don't need to muck about with capping. I have a setup to do 2 gallon batches that cost under $30 to put together.

If you're really interested, PM me and I'll do a proper How-To.

Don't forget the yeast. A bit of standard baking yeast will do fine.

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 20
D&G, which i think was a jamaican company called desnoe and geddes iirc. not sure if they are still in biz. it's been a while, but it was yummy

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you can use wild yeasts off the ginger root. You can use an ale or champagne yeast from a homebrew store, but it isn't necessary.

Lacto-fermentation rocks.

Interesting, but that's not yeast, but some sort of lactobacillus (bacteria), and will behave quite differently during fermentation. One of the big differences is that lactobacillus will produce lactate instead of ethanol, not critical I suppose if you're not particularly interested in an alcoholic beverage, but one of the beauties I find with using yeast is that you can decide wether the end product will have an alcoholic content from very low (practically nothing), up to ~11%. Other aromatic byproducts will differ too, giving them different aromatic characteristics.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 20
Yeah, I agree if you want control over the process a commercial yeast is the way to go. Especially if the OP's "kick" means a high alcohol content.

But for easy and cheap, lactobacillus is where it's at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back