Stretching your M50s for less clamp, and much more comfort.
Jun 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 37
OMG! such a simple and fast procedure and it really worked marvels, thanks a lot man!

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 37
Wow, I forgot about this thread, lol. You're very welcome. I've gone through many pairs of headphones after the M50, but I must say that the M50's comfort post stretch is still among the very best. I like the comfort more than even the D7000 which is supposed to kings of comfort.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #19 of 37
iv been wondering how much i should stretch them, about how much space is between the two pads while they are relaxed (on a flat surface) on your m50s? thanks again.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 37
We all have different preferences. I'd just stretch them a little bit at a time until you feel that its comfy but still retains some clamp. I wouldn't overdo it in fear of making them too loose.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #21 of 37
I've had my m50s for 3 weeks and i tell you the only complaint I have is that the right earpad clamps to my head and it really starts to hurt the jawbone under that ear. The left ear feels perfectly fine though. U think there might be a problem with my m50s? If not is there as way to improve the earpads without replacing them or do I just have to stretch them out to solve the problem?

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #22 of 37
The perfect fit for me post-stretch (I did manual stretching months ago because I was sick of how slow the "put it on some textbooks" technique worked) is about 2 1/2 inches space between the pads with the extenders fully retracted.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
The perfect fit for me post-stretch (I did manual stretching months ago because I was sick of how slow the "put it on some textbooks" technique worked) is about 2 1/2 inches space between the pads with the extenders fully retracted.

Ill do some manual stretching to see if it works but jerg, didnt you suggest in the mod thread about putting something in the earpads to add more comfort?

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #24 of 37

Quote:
Ill do some manual stretching to see if it works but jerg, didnt you suggest in the mod thread about putting something in the earpads to add more comfort?

Yeah I put some rolls of electrical tape to prop up the pleather part of the cushions because 1) it tightens the bass significantly and 2) it works well with the "remove foam film of M50 pads" mod because by propping the padding up the rim of one's ears no longer touch the driver grill.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #25 of 37
I think the clamp is not the main issue i realize for me b/c the m50s fit right on my head fine but that the problem is the pad itself. For some reason it just hurts under my right ear jawbone. I mean both my ears fit perfectly in the pads but it seems the bottom of the right pad is whats touching my jawbone the most. I dont wanna replace the pads cause i heard it makes the SQ worse and i certainly dont want that. Is there something else to do about it. Maybe it is the clamp, i dont know. Please make any suggestions b/c this problem is honestly my only true complaint about the m50s and if it could be solved then i would be very happy. Thank You
dt880smile.png

P.S: The mod has nothing to do with this since my ears barely touch the drivers and I can faintly sense it. This problem was prominent even before the mod.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #26 of 37

Quote:
I think the clamp is not the main issue i realize for me b/c the m50s fit right on my head fine but that the problem is the pad itself. For some reason it just hurts under my right ear jawbone. I mean both my ears fit perfectly in the pads but it seems the bottom of the right pad is whats touching my jawbone the most. I dont wanna replace the pads cause i heard it makes the SQ worse and i certainly dont want that. Is there something else to do about it. Maybe it is the clamp, i dont know. Please make any suggestions b/c this problem is honestly my only true complaint about the m50s and if it could be solved then i would be very happy. Thank You
dt880smile.png

P.S: The mod has nothing to do with this since my ears barely touch the drivers and I can faintly sense it. This problem was prominent even before the mod.

Adjust the degree of extensions of the extender belts on either side, see if extending assymmetrically helps. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #28 of 37
Maybe i will just have to get used to it. I think gradually as my head gets bigger then my head will fit better into it. I dont know. Praim siad that after a month i will probably get used to it so i dont know if the issue is solve-able now. Perhaps its not the headphones themselves but my head figure. Who knows.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #29 of 37
etysmile.gif
I must have a tiny head compared to other M50 owners, because I haven't had any issues with clamping or my ears rubbing/touching the plastic driver grills (even after the foam mod).

One thing I do notice is that I need to adjust how the cups/pads sit on around my ear after moving around a bit. This is probably because I haven't found the optimal position for the extenders to keep the M50 in place securely, yet comfortbaly.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #30 of 37

Quote:

One thing I do notice is that I need to adjust how the cups/pads sit on around my ear after moving around a bit.

that is exactly what i gotta do to. except that it is almost constantly fatiguing my jawbone that i is a little discomforting to wear and after i take it off my
jawbone feels numb and i have to rub it to make it normal again. it almost feels as if the pads are positioned diagonally so that the lower ends of the earpads are touching my jawbone the most. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back