Streaming Audio-Fi
Jul 2, 2012 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BIG POPPA

Headphoneus Supremus
Been trying to use the search button on this topic. Just so random! At work I have Wi-Fi. So I get to listen to music 8 hours a day. Got bored of my ipod Classic. So purchased a 4 gen 8GB ipod touch to stream Pandora One. Yes I have been a longtime Headfi-er. Know that there are so much better ways to enjoy streaming music. But would like some input. Have a iPad 3 and a ipod touch for sources. Have great bluetooth speakers and docks to listen to at work. At home stream a little but listen to Listen to the rig.

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Where do I go next? What apps needed to have a better experience? Looking at bluetooth DACS (which one?). Looking at wireless hard drives for Media (seagate goflex satellite). Have the cans and the amps.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 7
Kinda like this:
Using an Ipad/ Touch. You need thease apps.....
I have an istreamer dac but this....... Is the way to go.
If you are going portable this is the way to go.
If you go desktop you can do this............

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 7
OK, here's a start, anyway.

For apps, there are lots.  You already have Pandora, you said.  There are any number of subscription music sites that will let you listen to music you specify.  I like Mog because 1) it has, currently, the best SQ, and 2) it will let you download music to your device and take it with you (make sure you choose "high quality streaming" and "high quality downloads" in "options").  But there's also Spotify, Rdio, etc.  Look at Wolfgang's Vault and the various Archive.org apps for live concerts: they're both fantastic.  I like the NPR music app a lot - it collects the various NPR music broadcasts in one place.  There are podcast apps that will collect music podcasts for you.  There are a lot of radio apps that make it easy to stream internet radio  - look at TuneIn, Stitcher, Slacker, etc.

For home or desk use, the iStreamer DAC has a great reputation.  With the iPad you can add the Apple Camera Connection Kit, which has USB out, and use a huge range of USB DACs.  They don't all work: search here, there's a lot of information on which do and don't.

For portable use, you can add an LOD and amp - both the Touch and iPad have very good SQ out of the line out - or go further and and use the Algorythm SOLO or Fostex HP-P1.  Both take direct digital out.  With the SOLO you'll need to add an amp, with the Fostex you won't.  Both sound great.  With the iPad you can use the camera connection kit and a number of portable DAC/amps - again, search here for guidance.

With the portable set-ups you'll be able to stream both wi-fi and cellular from the iPad, wi-fi only from the Touch.

Hope this helps.

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Wow barbes, you are a wealth of info.the camera connection kit knew nothing about it. Great tip, will be able to get the dac i want. The jkeny 24/192. Will probably sign up for all the music subscribtions. The solo only does 16/44. But i did look at it for a minute.i have 2 portable amps the tomahawk for my livewires and the portaphilev22 for my big headphones. I like the istreamer but the soundstage is a little small imo. I have the soundmatters foxl platinum bluetooth speakers. Those rock. Have a few lods from alo and fiios. There is an app golden ear, i think that is what its called. It is suppose to be able to play flac and non compressed files that itunes dont? Heard anything about that? Well at least now i have an idea on the direction im going. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back