Streamer/DAC Suggestions (for a newbie)
Feb 3, 2022 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Need the help of the experts.

I do most of my listening via streaming (Roon with Qobuz and Tidal thru a PS Audio Perfectwave DAC with a Bridge II) and think the rig sounds pretty wonderful. But at the same time I realize that the technology I'm using is probably 10 years old, if not more.

I picked up a Node 2i (not the latest version) to use in a second system, which I decided against, ultimately. I also have sitting around a Musical Fidelity A3/24 DAC from waaayyy back when.

I tried using the Node as a streamer into my MF DAC to compare to the PS Audio unit and much preferred the PSA. Granted, the PSA is going into my preamp balanced whereas the MF is SE so that may very well have something to do with it.

I'm thinking of upgrading my streaming setup at some point in the future. I always just figured I'd move up the PS Audio line to the Directstream with a Bridge II since I'm totally happy with the Perfectwave, but then decided to start looking around at separates.

There are so damn many options that I literally feel like I'm a newbie all over again in the audio world. Streamer, yes. But which one? And just how much of a difference do they actually make? If I want to keep the cost reasonable, say, sub 2K, which brand/model would allow me to hear the difference in the various DACs available?

Then the question becomes: Which DAC? Again, sub 2K, please.

Would separates be the way to go or would the Directstream, even though it's an older technology, still be a viable option? I understand it's been discontinued as PS Audio will be coming out with a new DAC sometime this summer but I don't plan on spending north of 6K for the right to have the latest and greatest from them.

Can you provide me with a few brands/models of both streamers and DACs I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mamoru

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 9
Just get a Linn Klimax DS renew (first gen). It's a one box solution that can be found for less than $2k used - you may need to import from UK. That will be a significant upgrade from your Perfectwave. I listened to both side by side back in the days and it wasn't even close in favor of Linn.

TOTL digital already sounded like really good analog 10 years ago - Playback Design, Linn, EMM Labs, MSB. I like Linn because they have supported their DS line since 2008 I believe and I expect them to continue to churn out updates to support new things/standards.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 9
I own the EDGE NQ with 2 EDGE M with the Feliks Envy as a Pre Amp, took me a long time to get in touch with the music and tune it the way I wanted.

Using the Audioquest Earth XLR cables and the Audioquest NRG Z3 powercable for the Envy.

I finally archived a beautiful sounding system.

I didn’t know how good the NQ until I tested some DACs and realized how beautiful and musical it sounds, the soundstage is huge, the speaker just disappears and you can focus on the music, it’s easy to use with the app or roon.

I put the XLR output to -3db the music is more lean back and I prefer that way. Upsampling and DSD works really good.

It’s a beautiful high end unit with a timeless design that I love to see all the time and don’t get bored from the design.

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 9
I own the EDGE NQ with 2 EDGE M with the Feliks Envy as a Pre Amp, took me a long time to get in touch with the music and tune it the way I wanted.

Using the Audioquest Earth XLR cables and the Audioquest NRG Z3 powercable for the Envy.

I finally archived a beautiful sounding system.

I didn’t know how good the NQ until I tested some DACs and realized how beautiful and musical it sounds, the soundstage is huge, the speaker just disappears and you can focus on the music, it’s easy to use with the app or roon.

I put the XLR output to -3db the music is more lean back and I prefer that way. Upsampling and DSD works really good.

It’s a beautiful high end unit with a timeless design that I love to see all the time and don’t get bored from the design.
Assume you use Tidal/Qobuz? I tried the NQ (using their app) with Audio Research valve pre/pwr with it set to no pre amp mode and pre amp mode, much preferred no pre amp mode but still not fully satisfied. Then I tried Cambridge all-in-one Evo 150, used in pre amp mode into the Cambridge Edge W amp and that was the best combo so far.

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Assume you use Tidal/Qobuz? I tried the NQ (using their app) with Audio Research valve pre/pwr with it set to no pre amp mode and pre amp mode, much preferred no pre amp mode but still not fully satisfied. Then I tried Cambridge all-in-one Evo 150, used in pre amp mode into the Cambridge Edge W amp and that was the best combo so far.
I use roon with Qobuz over Ethernet using better xlr and powercables makes a huge difference in my system I am very satisfied the way it sounds, have KEF K7 speakers, listen to acoustic, classic, orchestra I stopped hunting after gear, I send the Envy to Feliks Audio to adjust the Envy for High Voltage Output, Feliks told me that the Envy is optimal for 1v output DACs, the NQ has 6.6v and it didn’t sound good in the beginning after the adjustment it perfect now.

Oct 13, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 9
I use roon with Qobuz over Ethernet using better xlr and powercables makes a huge difference in my system I am very satisfied the way it sounds, have KEF K7 speakers, listen to acoustic, classic, orchestra I stopped hunting after gear, I send the Envy to Feliks Audio to adjust the Envy for High Voltage Output, Feliks told me that the Envy is optimal for 1v output DACs, the NQ has 6.6v and it didn’t sound good in the beginning after the adjustment it perfect now.
Could be the high output of the NQ overloaded the AR pre, it sounded much better straight into Edge M mono's but still not perfect using KEF Ref 3 meta.
Will be demoing other streamer/DACs soon, stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back