Storm Digital, anything on the horizon?
May 29, 2006 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
The original thread is huge, so I figured a new one could be in order to discuss any upcoming products, specifically the smaller model of the D02. Has anyone heard any news? I'm planning a source upgrade later this year, and that black D02 is looking very sweet...

May 29, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 104
I don't know, but akwok has "Storm Digital D01/D02/D03" in his sig
eek.gif

May 29, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 104
Hi!

Ken is working on an affordable version of the D01, at the moment. It should sound similar to the D01, but look significantly better than the D02 for < $1000. He went all out on the parts quality, which is strange, considering he made around $50 profit per D02 in the last and current batch..

Anyways, that's all I'm entitled to say, really.

I think the smaller D02 is last on his list of priorities.. but it should be within a month or two..

May 29, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Getting $20 in parts from a $350 commercial amp just makes my skin peel!

rolleyes.gif

There's a fair bit of expertise and labor involved in designing the thing in the first place, you know...

May 29, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
rolleyes.gif

There's a fair bit of expertise and labor involved in designing the thing in the first place, you know...

Ken lives on McDonalds.
tongue.gif

It's funny, and sad, at the same time..

May 29, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 104
I've been in quite a bit of contact with Ken, he would probably classify me as his most annoying customer. The D03 is a cheaper version of the D01 without the external clock both will have USB. There is also a tube headphone amp possibly on the horizion (vaguely based on the Gilmore bamaslama) and possibly an i2s transport as well.

May 29, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 104
Maybe this is already buried somewhere and I'm being stupid, but do we have any info on the D01? Will it still have the front LCD? (the only part of the design I don't like)

May 29, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
Maybe this is already buried somewhere and I'm being stupid, but do we have any info on the D01? Will it still have the front LCD? (the only part of the design I don't like)

Yes it will have an LCD. The chassis is similar in design to the D02. Although it will be roughly 320 mm by 200 mm so a bit bigger. I forget how tall it will be. Ken sent me a sim picture of the case. Let me see if I can dig it up.

May 29, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Will the D01 utilize BNC connectors?

BNC, AES/EBU, TOSLink, USB-in, XLR out, RCA out.

Hmm. Since the cat's been let out of the bag, here's the specs for the D03:

D03 will have, as input and output:
BNC, AES/EBU, toslink, USB=>I2S, XLR out, RCA out, clock-in/out

2x PCM1702/4 per channel, 2x 396A tube output.
No more battery, no more r-core. Single 4-layered PCB. You can check out the D01 pics to see what the internal will be like..

Single box chassis, milled from one single block of aluminum, choice in black/silver anodization. Completely different design (no more square and straightedges).

Large, high resolution 240x64 pixel LCD, and a 40mhz CPU for a VU meter.

Intro price $899 USD, I believe. To get this type of chassis manufactured in the states would be easily $500 alone. LCD well over a hundred. It's supposed to weigh significantly less than the D02, so shipping shouldn't be as bad.

Here is a picture of the D03:
14.jpg

Current LCD choice:
lcd.JPG

As you can see, it's curved, and there's a lot more attention to detail now. The DAC is heavily software-oriented, written in assembly.

The main difference between the D03 and the D01 is the power supply and clock.

May 29, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
BNC, AES/EBU, TOSLink, USB-in, XLR out, RCA out.

Hmm. Since the cat's been let out of the bag, here's the specs for the D03:

D03 will have, as input and output:
BNC, AES/EBU, toslink, USB=>I2S, XLR out, RCA out, clock-in/out

2x PCM1702/4 per channel, 2x 396A tube output.
No more battery, no more r-core. Single 4-layered PCB. You can check out the D01 pics to see what the internal will be like..

Single box chassis, milled from one single block of aluminum, choice in black/silver anodization. Completely different design (no more square and straightedges).

Large 240x64 pixel LCD, and a 40mhz CPU for a VU meter.

Intro price $899 USD, I believe. It's supposed to weigh significantly less than the D02, so shipping shouldn't be as bad.

Intriguing, I might get this one instead and wire my own battery onto it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back