Stick with TRS? recable time
Oct 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
Well its time to recable ye ole q40's. Im also making a mini3 in a custom case at the same time. Im using Mogami W3106 dual wire due to the unique q40 wiring scheme. Should i stick with a normal TRS connector or should i go for a XLR connector or something? Im still including 1 TRS in the front panel, but i wasnt sure with all the people using silver wire and depleted uranium connectors if a cable end would help or not.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 15
everyone should go with a 4-pin XLR, regardless of whether they build their amp single-ended or balanced.

if youre bothering to DIY, you might as well use a superior connection that will prevent any chance of shorting out the amp
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone should go with a 4-pin XLR, regardless of whether they build their amp single-ended or balanced.

if youre bothering to DIY, you might as well use a superior connection that will prevent any chance of shorting out the amp
wink.gif

x2!

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

wink.gif

x3

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 15
Uh now the question is should i go with a 4 pin or a standard 3 pin? There are premade trs to 3pin xlr adapters so that is a standard. And im using a unbalanced amp with only 3 points.

I assume i should stick with female on the amp and male on the can.

Is this going to help with sound quality any? From what ive read, the extra contact area can boost mic levels by 6db over long runs and reduce noise, but they say at headphone levels the signal is so strong and short it doesnt help much.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh now the question is should i go with a 4 pin or a standard 3 pin? There are premade trs to 3pin xlr adapters so that is a standard. And im using a unbalanced amp with only 3 points.

The primary advantage of a four pin XLR is that it eliminates the common contact resistance that you have with either a three pin XLR or a TRS (though the contact resistance of XLR pins is usually rather less than for a TRS).

That would be of benefit even with an unbalanced amp because it allows you to take the left and right "ground" leads separately back to a single, low resistance soldered connection.

Quote:

Is this going to help with sound quality any?

It reduces crosstalk, if crosstalk is something you care about reducing.

Quote:

From what ive read, the extra contact area can boost mic levels by 6db over long runs and reduce noise, but they say at headphone levels the signal is so strong and short it doesnt help much.

That has to do with balanced interfaces. If your amp is unbalanced, it's rather moot.

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only real choice for hardcore audiophiles is 2x 1/8" TS.

all the cool kids use quad banana plugs
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

all the cool kids use quad banana plugs
biggrin.gif

Real audiophiles hardwire their headphones to the amp.
wink_face.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 15
If you are thinking about going 3 pin, you might as well go 4 so that you already have your phones balanced in case you ever take your setup in that direction. I am probably going to use a 4pin on my 3 channel beta 22, just because if I like it enough I am going to sell the 3 ch. one and go balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back