Stereophile's Art Dudley explores new frontiers in fail
Dec 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
Dec 22, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
With a h/t to hydrogenaudio

Apparently powering your computer with a high priced thingamajob improves the sound quality of files served therefrom:
http://stereophile.com/content/listening-96-page-3

My brain hurts.

I think you will find that its generally accepted in audiophile circles that power conditioners work - I dont know anything about the unit pictured, and I have no first hand experience, but you wont have to go far to find people who will accept what Mr Dudley is saying here. 

What gets me is when reviewers attribute all manner of sonic improvements when replacing a $200 equipment rack with one costing a thousand or more dollars, and we arent talking 'slight' improvements. As I pointed out in another thread, we really have been investing in the wrong 'kit' - slabs of oak work so much better than fullsize headphone amps, apparently. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Quote:
With a h/t to hydrogenaudio

Apparently powering your computer with a high priced thingamajob improves the sound quality of files served therefrom:
http://stereophile.com/content/listening-96-page-3

My brain hurts.

I think you will find that its generally accepted in audiophile circles that power conditioners work -

generally accepted in audiophile circles <> basis in empirical reality - other tenets generally accepted in audiophile circles include.....

vinyl is better than LP
audiophile fuses improve quality
cables make a difference

Stereophile would convince me more with some better  testing than "I heard a difference". as for conditioners in general I would still ask for better evidence, preferably blind testing.

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Hey, we are right back in the 'Audiophile Myths Exploded' thread, and its a circular argument that doesnt go anywhere. Its a wild generalisation, but many audiophiles simply don't accept DBT or A/B testing, are sceptical of measurements (except when it confirms there own beliefs ..) and so on.

Lets face it guys - this is more religion than science, and if there is one thing that stands out about zealots its the fact that their brain chemistry is sufficiently altered by their belief structure as to make it damned near impossible to use 'logic' with them. If I sell you a mystical box, you place it next to your bed at night and the boss gives you a raise the next day, can you tell me that you wouldnt be just a *little* inclined to believe in magic ?

'nth degree' people will always want the flappy paddle gearbox on their Ferrari, no matter how many respected motoring writers deride the idea as gimmickry - if Michael Schumacher was photographed with a flappy paddle gearbox, then I'm sure as hell going to tick that box for my Ferrari, and the Levinson No. 37 is the best silver box of electronics in the whole world because someone at Stereophile wrote 8 pages telling me it was. 

My cynicism aside, I'll take power/cables etc over equipment racks - I just wont pay silly money for any of it. For a board with so many sceptics, we seem to throw the dreaded 'audiophile' word around a lot - maybe its time for the 'music lover' to vote with his/her wallet. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 14
My computer setup uses a 1 centimeter diameter dvi cable, three gold-plated 14 awg fully shielded hermetically sealed power cables, and a furman ac-215 power conditioner. All treated with contact cleaners and a little attention to vibration. If Art Dudley is exploring new frontiers, then I am like the eskimo in Alaska and him the navigator who "discovers" Alaska.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
If Art Dudley is exploring new frontiers, then I am like the eskimo in Alaska and him the navigator who "discovers" Alaska.

Just as long as you don't intermarry and produce offspring, I am completely fine with that. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 14
Nice joke. I have one too. Imagine if scientific progress rested on the shoulders of people who spend most of their time criticizing others' opinions without doing the science necessary to make a convincing argument. Galileo would've tried to cajole the Church into reexamining their beliefs, and just end up going through a gauntlet of torture devices. I could make a few more jokes using Newton and Pavlov in this analogy, but I think you just have to look at modern physics and psychology researchers for that. Sigh, they just don't do science like they use to.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 14
When we get into bed at night, its with the sum total of our experiences telling us whether we had a 'good' day or not, and if a power cable contributes to it being a good day, then I'm all for it. A life rooted in the harsh economic and social realities of the 21st century needs a little voodoo, IMO. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 14
So I hightlighted the thread to try and read what it was about, not knowing it shows you the last post. What I thought Art Dudley's new "frontier of fail was" involved...

Quote:
estreeter said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

When we get into bed at night

RE: Power conditioners. I have one that is also a surge guard. Buggered if there's any difference. I wouldn't spend money on it at all. Buy a generator instead (lol)

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
When we get into bed at night, its with the sum total of our experiences telling us whether we had a 'good' day or not, and if a power cable contributes to it being a good day, then I'm all for it. A life rooted in the harsh economic and social realities of the 21st century needs a little voodoo, IMO. 

You are surprised that people dare to share their audio impressions without being backed by the kind of scientific rigor Charles Darwin put into his theory of evolution. I am surprised that you guys are demanding any proof from people obviously not interested in doing so, as if everyone on the planet is supposed to play scientist. Anyway, I don't think the vast majority of skeptics even play science to any degree, they are just the parrots of what authority says. I like your condescending apology for power cables, such wishy-washy thinking is why people have such a concrete belief in concepts like economy and society.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-economy-grinds-to-halt-as-nation-realizes-money,2912/

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 14
For the five and a half years in Quebec I've had six (6) sudden blackouts. TV, DVR box, modem, router, heck the microwave they all still work. I cringe every time I go to FutureStop and see them $400+ Monster Reference Power Centers.
Also you don't need high joule ratings (with the high price attached to it). Canadian Tire has that Philips infinite-joules-thing for $25. I'll fetch one when I replace my TV in ten years.
About power conditioners... If the toroid core in your equipment is good enough then there's no use. But I might try an ILC after reading that thread. Or you can just believe all this and buy an Isabellina.

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:

You are surprised that people dare to share their audio impressions without being backed by the kind of scientific rigor Charles Darwin put into his theory of evolution. I am surprised that you guys are demanding any proof from people obviously not interested in doing so, as if everyone on the planet is supposed to play scientist. Anyway, I don't think the vast majority of skeptics even play science to any degree, they are just the parrots of what authority says. I like your condescending apology for power cables, such wishy-washy thinking is why people have such a concrete belief in concepts like economy and society.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-economy-grinds-to-halt-as-nation-realizes-money,2912/

Yep - to paraphrase David Suzuki : 'We INVENTED the economy, but we go into meltdown at the first signs of trouble. We didnt invent photosynthesis. Which one do you think we really need ?'

End of the day, its all about perception - there is nothing wishy-washy about faith when people practice what they preach. We need more Suzukis and less Bernie Madoffs, but I'm willing to bet that those planning a presidential campaign would disagree.

Anyway, this is getting way OT - power cables will sell right up until the lights go out, and none of this will matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back