Stereophile 500 Recommended Components - Headphone Amplifiers
Oct 13, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
I guess I'd have to disagree on that. I consider the SR-71 a pretty decent portable, and maybe the Hornet a step below that, but I'd have a hard time rating them as "A" class as far as headphone amps go even amongst portables. While that doesn't mean my opinion should stand on there any more than yours, I think it may at least be evidence that it isn't a given that they're owed an "A" rating in all eyes. A lot of reviews I've seen in Stereophile have been full of superlatives and perhaps even hyperbole; glowing reviews. So I guess it's basically glowing versus glowingest here, and a glowing review alone isn't going to produce an "A" rating, either :/

What is missing is an explanation of what differentiates an A product from a B. Without criteria it seems like an arbitrary rating. Nice to be included on a list like that but difficult to figure out why any product is where it is. In the speaker world price seems to be one of the prime factors in their listings.

Oct 13, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
singlepower's amps havn't been sent into stereophile for review. in fact, i think this lists all the amps they have ever reviewed.

This is just what I was thinking. I'll check, but I would bet everything they have reviewed as far as headphone amps are concerned is on that list somewhere.

Oct 13, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #18 of 26
Overall, I'm pretty supportive of the ratings, though I may disagree with them. I also agree that Stereophile's efforts should be lauded.

Tho I do have to wonder about the Grace m902's ratings.

Class A headphone amp? Class A DAC?

Hmm. I love my m902, don't get me wrong, but I don't find it to be Class A in either category.

As a headphone amp, it's sonic signature is too overwhelming (very full/round sounding) for me to recommend it other than to people who have thinner headphones (like my Qualia 010 or Sony MDR-SA5000). The Grace has an amazing ability to put me to sleep with either Sennheiser or Grado. I've used it plenty with the RS-1, PS-1, HP1, HP2, HD600, HD650 and all sorts of cables and it just makes me snooze with any of them. K 1000, R10, or the aforementioned Sony's - pretty darned nice, I think.

As a DAC, it's certainly smooth enough, but it's neither as smooth nor as detailed and it's certainly not as transparent as most of the better DACs out there. Oh, how I miss the buttery realistic smoothness and resolution of my DAC64+Blu, which are currently in storage.

Dun get me wrong - I dig my Grace m902. I just don't see how it can be anything higher than a B rating, due to these limitations.

I've heard pretty much everything on that list, and while pretty good, none really get me all that excited. These guys will seriously need to either bump everything down or add an A+ rating once they hear the better stuff out there.

Best regards,

-Jason

Oct 14, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I don't know abou that.
I think Stereophile's list concerns more about sound quality than utility.
I don't see them separating speakers into two categoris: one that a person can lift and the other that only a forklift can lift
tongue.gif

Sure they have separate sections for speakers, look again. They also have separate sections for amps, tube and non tube. They recognize the difference between speakers with limited low frequency output and separate them by note. I don't care if they do or they don't as I don't find there evaluation to be very go anyway but if they are going to do this they should reveiw many more headphone amps as they are giving a very limited and skewed view as to what is available when so few are involved. I would never imagine they could review all but a good sampling would not be difficult at all. What about the AE-1 and others that have been well received?

Oct 14, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #20 of 26
I am grateful Stereophile has got on the headphone/amp bandwagon and is reviewing more headphone products.

A few short years ago I can remember we only had the option of CMOY/Pimeta DIY based headphone amps or much more expensive commercial amps from esoteric manufacturers.

Not pleasant.

Life is better these days. I am much happier with a flood of very inexpensive tube amps from China to experiment with and tube roll.

Bada PH 12 is in customs headed my way.

Oct 14, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1
I am grateful Stereophile has got on the headphone/amp bandwagon and is reviewing more headphone products.

A few short years ago I can remember we only had the option of CMOY/Pimeta DIY based headphone amps or much more expensive commercial amps from esoteric manufacturers.

Not pleasant.

Life is better these days. I am much happier with a flood of very inexpensive tube amps from China to experiment with and tube roll.

Bada PH 12 is in customs headed my way.

I used to live in Nevada, in fact I lived there for many years. Dayton to be exact though not many know where it is.

If you saw the conditons many people work in here and the fumes they breath making those amps you might feel differently, or you might not. They are not told, nor do they know, of the negative effects of breathing in solder fumes in a closed in room with no ventilation.

Oct 14, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
If you saw the conditons many people work in here and the fumes they breath making those amps you might feel differently, or you might not. They are not told, nor do they know, of the negative effects of breathing in solder fumes in a closed in room with no ventilation.

That is a good point.
China's manufacturing ability is not a miracle, and everything comes at a price.

Oct 14, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #23 of 26
This list is completely absurd and inaccurate the best amps I have heard will never be in that list, as probably they will naver had access to them, and the ones that are, are not even the best for those manufacturers....one more time magazines really suck!!!

Oct 14, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
This list is completely absurd and inaccurate the best amps I have heard will never be in that list, as probably they will naver had access to them, and the ones that are, are not even the best for those manufacturers....one more time magazines really suck!!!

Yeah..It's like Aliens landing in the desert, walk 5 miles, & claim there is no life on planet earth..The headamp spectrum is huge, & they are at the tip of the iceberg..

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #25 of 26
At least Stereophile has not backed down over the years from the daunting task of trying to rate audio products and place them in some order. The Absolute Sound and countless others have withered and no longer make the attempt.

For a more valiant and focused attempt (not influenced by advertising) at rating audio, this is one of the best:

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/shootouts.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back