Step Down Transformer 220V > 110
Jun 3, 2008 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DoubleEs

500+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in buying some audio gear off ebay but the buyer tells me it's only 110v compatible.

The way to get around this is to buy a transformer for it, unfortunately not having used one before, I have no idea how good and safe they are.

Can I ask if anyone here use one on a regular basis and do you have yours plugged in 24/7. Do these transformer degrade the sound quality of the equipment or am I better off with 220V version?

A quick google produced these 3 -

UK 240v to USA 110volt Step Down Transformer 100Va

UK 240v to USA 110volt Step Down Transformer 300Va

UK 240v to USA 110volt Step Down Transformer 500Va

Not understanding what 100, 300 and 500va mean, are they good enough for DAC, CDP and Amps?

Thanks

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey Nick, thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

So if something requires 14V, does this mean I need to be looking at something like this - UK 240v to USA 110volt Step Down Transformer 3000Va
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

If yes, then I can forget it!!!!!!

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 7
I would go for the local 220V versions of amps/receivers rather than choking them through a step down transformer. Front end and low powerdraw stuff should be fine. Go for the highest power stepdown you can.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 7
for DAC, headphone amp and CDP, the 100VA one might be adaquate, but I would personally get at least 200VA. A higher grade CDP will consume 30W and more, then class A headphone amp might require about the same, then there won't be much head room left for a 100VA unit, after you add the DAC. So 300VA is a safer choice. Now, the 500VA one costs only a little bit more than the 300VA unit, then might as well go for the 500VA....

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 7
one benefit of using a step down is that the trans also serve as a isolation transformer. This is how they do the so-called "ballanced power". The result is usually a cleaner back ground. Dynamic might suffer a little, but for your relativly light loads (dac, HA, cdp), if you go for a unit 200VA and up, the dynamic shouldn't be a problem.
One uncertainty is the sonic signature of the iso-trans, you will hear it's sonic signature. and there is noway to tell what it might sound like without buying/testing.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 7
A general rule I read somewhere once is to allow for four times the power requirement of the device plugged into it.

Also, try to find a step-down that uses a toroidal transformer.

I have a good quality step-down transformer that I leave plugged in 24/7. It does the job well, and doesn't have any adverse affect on the phono stage that I use it with. The transformer itself hums slightly, but this is not audible unless you've got your head right up next to it. This might be something to watch out for with cheaper transformers tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back