Stello DA100 (show-off/impressions thread)
Mar 8, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #271 of 496
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the DA100 will accept 24/192 signal, but only with coaxial/optical?

It accepts up to 24/96 via coax/optical and can upsample to 192.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #273 of 496
Quote:

Originally Posted by krrm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the problems when you are using Linux? I use usb on OpenSuse to my Stello, and once in a while the sound gets distorted. I believe it is due to me updating software (happens quite frequently as I'm using some of the "experimental" Suse repositories). Unplugging the usb cable helped the last time. Never had any problems during "normal" use.

Yes, but the issue also persists in a W2k partition I recently set up. Seems to be an issue at the hardware level...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple of things to try:
1) Switch to ASIO4ALL
2) Disable mapping through this audio device or better yet disable device altogether. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3642561-post587.html
3) Connect to computer USB port, not hub
4) And last but not least, lift the ground on your amp first and if no avail on DA100 too. RadioShack.com - Power & Batteries: Surge protectors & power cords: Power & extension cords: 3-Prong Grounding Adapter-2-Pack

Most likely you have a ground loop from USB so the last option should help.

The first 2 are N/A since I use Linux but thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

3)- It's connected directly to a motherboard USB port, so no hubs are in the way.
4)- I'm definitely going to try this- I think I have a couple of those adapters in a box somewhere. If not, I within 5 minutes of several Radioshacks. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #274 of 496
Hi Guys

I picked up a D100 the other day and thought I would add some comments.

I have 650s and 880s and am running it from one of my shuttle computer's optical out to a GS-1, M^3 and a Woo 3.

I find the sound signature to be very much like the 650s, so that turned out to be a bad combination. I listen quietly, around 9 O'Clock and and I can't hear the fine detail over the mid bass and the bass with the 650s. I can see why Stello added the treble boost to their amp. I also noticed that the bass boost signature is less, (or the mids and upper are more pronounced) when upsampling is chosen as opposed to the bypassed position.

The 880s are another story and there is plenty of detail with those but not as forward as I would like. It's too bad the 650-Stello combination has a muted, recessed, distant quality because I would like to evaluate it with them as well.

I have a DAC-AH, a Zhaolu D2, which is better, and a Constantine USB which is better still (as long as you don't intend to use the USB implementation) and now this Stello, which btw does not get more than slightly warm after being on all day, as opposed to the guys who reported it getting hot. Mine does not even come close.

Since these comments are after only one day, I will give it a good listen, but my gut feeling is that it's sound signature is not for me. Apparently I lean toward more analytical sounding DACs. Who would have figured?

Regards

USG

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #275 of 496
I am surprised that it sounds overly warm even with GS-1? Give it some time, Zued HD650 in my setup has mind boggling details. Silver or SPC IC might help too, switching to Grover SC helped tremendously in my case.

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #276 of 496
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am surprised that it sounds overly warm even with GS-1? Give it some time, Zued HD650 in my setup has mind boggling details. Silver or SPC IC might help too, switching to Grover SC helped tremendously in my case.

Hi Andrew

I was surprised too, but I wouldn't call the sound overly warm, any more than I would call the sound of the 650s overly warm. My feeling is that it is just the DA100's sound signature. But let me run it in for a few days and see what happens.

Just as surprising is that my Stello doesn't get hot, just warm. I wonder if there have been changes?

USG

Mar 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #277 of 496
Hi guys,

I am looking at getting a second-hand, Stello 'DA100' or 'DP200' from America and using it in the UK.

How easy is it to change the voltage setting? Is there a switch on the back of the units or do I have to open them up?

Thanks

Mar 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #278 of 496
Quote:

Originally Posted by sichanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I am looking at getting a second-hand, Stello 'DA100' or 'DP200' from America and using it in the UK.

How easy is it to change the voltage setting? Is there a switch on the back of the units or do I have to open them up?

Thanks

You need to open, see the big red switch?
EasyVoltageSetting.jpg

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #280 of 496
My apologies if this has already been mentioned, I didn't have the patience to read through the 28 pages that make up this thread.

I took quick a look into a DA100 earlier today, I had to hear what all the fuss was about. I was disappointed to learn that there are no less than 10 opamps in the signal path. Only the very last stage, the power buffers, are discrete. What they label as a "digital filter" on their website is in fact an analog low pass filter, and directly in the signal path as well.

Looking at the inside, you can quite easily trace the signal from the SPDIF receiver (AK4117), to the sample rate converter (AD1896), to the DAC, to the balanced to single ended converter (OPA2604), to the 6th order analog low pass filter (4x NE5534), and finally to the discrete output buffers.

If anyone is in the mood for some modding, changing the opamps is likely to yield quite an improvement in sound.

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #281 of 496
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys

I picked up a D100 the other day and thought I would add some comments.

I have 650s and 880s and am running it from one of my shuttle computer's optical out to a GS-1, M^3 and a Woo 3.

I find the sound signature to be very much like the 650s, so that turned out to be a bad combination. I listen quietly, around 9 O'Clock and and I can't hear the fine detail over the mid bass and the bass with the 650s. I can see why Stello added the treble boost to their amp. I also noticed that the bass boost signature is less, (or the mids and upper are more pronounced) when upsampling is chosen as opposed to the bypassed position.

The 880s are another story and there is plenty of detail with those but not as forward as I would like. It's too bad the 650-Stello combination has a muted, recessed, distant quality because I would like to evaluate it with them as well.

I have a DAC-AH, a Zhaolu D2, which is better, and a Constantine USB which is better still (as long as you don't intend to use the USB implementation) and now this Stello, which btw does not get more than slightly warm after being on all day, as opposed to the guys who reported it getting hot. Mine does not even come close.

Since these comments are after only one day, I will give it a good listen, but my gut feeling is that it's sound signature is not for me. Apparently I lean toward more analytical sounding DACs. Who would have figured?

Regards

USG

You're saying you like the Zhalou and Constantine's better than the DA100?

If you're running your headphones from your Woo3 the sound you're getting might not be analytical, as it is a tube amp..
Switching amps would prbly provide more analytical results.

Mar 22, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #282 of 496
Quote:

If you're running your headphones from your Woo3 the sound you're getting might not be analytical, as it is a tube amp..
Switching amps would prbly provide more analytical results.

Notice the GS-1. Probably as analytical as it gets in this price range.
I agree in the case of HD650 sounding veiled with the Stello DA100, although the midrange/bass with Stello can sound phenomenal...but that is partly the case because you are talking about HD650 in single-ended mode, it will always sound veiled even with bright sources.

Cheers.

Mar 22, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #283 of 496
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cauhtemoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the inside, you can quite easily trace the signal from the SPDIF receiver (AK4117), to the sample rate converter (AD1896), to the DAC, to the balanced to single ended converter (OPA2604), to the 6th order analog low pass filter (4x NE5534), and finally to the discrete output buffers.

If anyone is in the mood for some modding, changing the opamps is likely to yield quite an improvement in sound.

My guess is that the filter is similar to the attached schematic and the NE5534s (the A4s in the schematic) are essentially out of the signal path below the cut-off frequency.

Mar 22, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #284 of 496
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Notice the GS-1. Probably as analytical as it gets in this price range.
I agree in the case of HD650 sounding veiled with the Stello DA100, although the midrange/bass with Stello can sound phenomenal...but that is partly the case because you are talking about HD650 in single-ended mode, it will always sound veiled even with bright sources.

Cheers.

I agree with you completely.

USG

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #285 of 496
Quote:

Hi dw

The Stello has a much more refined sound than either the Zhaolu or the Constantine but apparently I seem to be gravitating toward more analytical presentations.
eek.gif

Regarding the Woo3... it's not tuby sounding, IMHO, and has a similar sound signature to my 8065 M^3.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Regards

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back