Stello DA100 and HP100 are here!
Sep 21, 2006 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Patu

Headphoneus Supremus
So they're finally mine! I was about to order these ~2 months ago but then I decided to go for monitors + downgrade my headphone setup. Well now I'm back in business with DA100 and HP100.

I ordered them on friday evening and they arrived today. So hifi500 worked very quickly with them. They were packed with extreme care so no worries that something would broke in shipping.

I like the sturdy black outlook of them. Very professional looking. Finishing is just outstanding. Very well done. They're much bigger than I thought. They look smaller in the pictures. They weigh about 10kg together. Nice little detail was that there was a hexagonal opener (correct the word if it's wrong) included in both of the packages. So you can open your amp or dac yourself.

What surprised me was that HP100 has steps on the volume pot. First I thought that have they put a stepped attenuator there but when I looked inside through the cooling rifts I saw an ALPS potentiometer there. I'm not sure how it works then. But the steps are very small so it works fine. Usually I prefer the non-step volume adjusting. With HD650 and high gain setup I keep the volume pot between 9-11 most of the time. When I go over 12 it starts to hurt my ears so there's plenty of power to drive high impedance headphones.

About the sound, well I can't say much yet. They sound completely different than Corda Aria with its USB dac. My first impressions were three dimensional and spacious. They seem to work well with HD650 keeping its bass well controlled and adding some high end details there also. I'll write more about the sound later.

Setti_800.jpg

Sep 22, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Is there a huge difference between the USB of the stello and aria?

I haven't tested the USB input of DA100 yet. But I can say that the sound from DA100 + Aria amp combo is totally different than it is with Aria USB + Aria amp combo. Sound is more spacious, dynamic and three dimensional. When DA100 is paired up with HP100 the differencies are even more evident. Aria sounds somewhat flat compared to HP100.

Sep 22, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I haven't tested the USB input of DA100 yet. But I can say that the sound from DA100 + Aria amp combo is totally different than it is with Aria USB + Aria amp combo. Sound is more spacious, dynamic and three dimensional. When DA100 is paired up with HP100 the differencies are even more evident. Aria sounds somewhat flat compared to HP100.

Darn...not what i wanna hear
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Is there a huge difference between the USB of the stello and aria?

I don't have Aria, but it is definitely a noticable step up from MicroDAC usb and Transit + MicroDAC.
Considering that as a pure DAC HR Micro is a step up from Aria I guess the difference between Stello and Aria would be even more drastic.

And Patu, that opener called "hex wrench"
smily_headphones1.gif
. Nice touch from stello, they included HP100 manual with my DA100 though.
confused.gif
Wonder if they did it on purpose
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Nice touch from stello, they included HP100 manual with my DA100 though.
confused.gif
Wonder if they did it on purpose
biggrin.gif

Haha.
biggrin.gif
Now you're reading the HP100 manual thinking "I must get this. Can't... resist..." Clever thinking from hifi500 guys.
wink.gif

Yes it's a very noticeable difference between the DA100 and Aria DAC. As I've said twice already, the biggest differencies are:

1. Wider soundstage and better positioning with DA100.
2. More three dimensional sound and better dynamics with DA100. Aria sounded somewhat flat compared to DA100.
3. More spacious sound.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 30
It feels like the sound would open up more and more every day. I've never heard so spacious sound out of HD650. This is great!

I can't wait to make a little trip to Jahvetti's place and try these out with PS1, RS1 and GS1000.

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 30
Patu, can you compare Juli@ -> DA100 with DA100 straight out of USB?
I have tried to find any difference between straight USB and Transit as USB/SPDIF link and the only difference if any is just that straight USB is a bit cleaner.

I used ASIO4ALL.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Patu, can you compare Juli@ -> DA100 with DA100 straight out of USB?
I have tried to find any difference between straight USB and Transit as USB/SPDIF link and the only difference if any is just that straight USB is a bit cleaner.

I used ASIO4ALL.

Thanks

I must try this some day. It shouldn't bee too hard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Patu, Andrew,

Is it still worth it to buy the DA100 if my music is not ripped to FLAC? Most of it is 128kb to 320kb. For now, i just don't have the harddisk space.

Najib

Well I would start by ripping my music to lossless format. HD space doesn't cost too much nowadays.

How did that saying go... "trash in, trash out" or something like that. So feeding your DAC with 128kbps mp3 doesn't sound like the best idea to me.

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Patu, Andrew,

Is it still worth it to buy the DA100 if my music is not ripped to FLAC? Most of it is 128kb to 320kb. For now, i just don't have the harddisk space.

Najib

Even that I fully agree with Patu, that only losless can give you the highest fidelity possible, 320CBR or 256VBR can give you a good run for the money as well, untill you can afford extra HD space, which btw is extremely cheap nowadays. Plus Stello does 192 upsampling that greatly helps with eliminating mp3 harshness.
From DA100 manual: Quote:

Just plug your computer to DA100 with included USB cable and you will be amazed by the dramatic upgrade of sound level from your PC. Even a 1/10 compressed 128k MP3 files can be heard as close as the original WAV files thanks to a special circuitries only designed for DA100.

May be not 128kbps, but 320 will definitely do.
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 30
Congratulations! Great looking combo.
If the amp straight out of the box makes the HD650 sound good, it must be a pretty good amp, because the HD650 are not easy to please...
I hope you'll let us know more after some more burn in.

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees
Congratulations! Great looking combo.
If the amp straight out of the box makes the HD650 sound good, it must be a pretty good amp, because the HD650 are not easy to please...
I hope you'll let us know more after some more burn in.

Thanks. I'll keep you posted. These are just my first impressions of the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back