Stay with HD598, or return for HD600/650 - UK budget of £200 max £250
Jan 30, 2015 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GreenSlime96

New Head-Fier
Shameless copy from Reddit, I would love your opinion! The 600's here sell cheaper than they do in the US, by just a few dollars and I hear they're the better bang for the buck. I'm aware I might need an amp and currently have the 598's but want a pair that will impress me and last me a lifetime. My M50x's -> HD598 I didn't feel that much of a difference besides those described below.

Budget - hard limit of £250; preferably £200

Source - MacBook Pro Retina, 15" 2014.

Isolation - Not necessary, these headphones will be used at home where I spend most of my time working in my room. I have another pair (ATH-M50x) which I use for listening on the move.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized and over ear is nice :)

Preferred tonal balance - I'm aiming for an overall balanced sound, I haven't had much experience with other sound signatures so a neutral one sounds appealing

Past headphones

ATH-M50x: I liked the design and the sound; they were my first pair of headphones that weren't free or £10~. I dislike the discomfort after an hour of use. Now that I have the HD598's I do enjoy the larger soundstage and the less rattly-bassness. Feels heavy on head.

Senn HD598's: Picked these up last week and I enjoy the larger soundstage as well as the less-overpowering bass. Found them lighter, more comfortable and spacious (don't hug my ears). Not as much clamping as well. I notice I can separate the instrument sounds on these but the M50x's make them all sound from the same location.

Preferred Music

I listen to James Blunt, Boyce Avenue as well as Adele. I'm still experimenting with many musical tastes, I enjoy acoustics though I've been trying out listening to classics and instrumentals as well.

I find really fast-paced music disliked, such as some of Justin Timberlake's recent music where the voice is underwhelmed by the instruments.

United Kingdom. I shop on Amazon.co.uk.

I actually bought the HD598's and now I have budget for the HD600/650 even. I'm hoping for these headphones to last me a while and I am thinking of returning the 598's for the either and saving up for an amp in the future. No DAC because apparently the MacBook Pro has really good DACs.

Thanks for your input! More questions are welcome :)

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 9
  Shameless copy from Reddit, I would love your opinion! The 600's here sell cheaper than they do in the US, by just a few dollars and I hear they're the better bang for the buck. I'm aware I might need an amp and currently have the 598's but want a pair that will impress me and last me a lifetime. My M50x's -> HD598 I didn't feel that much of a difference besides those described below.

Budget - hard limit of £250; preferably £200

Source - MacBook Pro Retina, 15" 2014.

Isolation - Not necessary, these headphones will be used at home where I spend most of my time working in my room. I have another pair (ATH-M50x) which I use for listening on the move.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized and over ear is nice :)

Preferred tonal balance - I'm aiming for an overall balanced sound, I haven't had much experience with other sound signatures so a neutral one sounds appealing

Past headphones

ATH-M50x: I liked the design and the sound; they were my first pair of headphones that weren't free or £10~. I dislike the discomfort after an hour of use. Now that I have the HD598's I do enjoy the larger soundstage and the less rattly-bassness. Feels heavy on head.

Senn HD598's: Picked these up last week and I enjoy the larger soundstage as well as the less-overpowering bass. Found them lighter, more comfortable and spacious (don't hug my ears). Not as much clamping as well. I notice I can separate the instrument sounds on these but the M50x's make them all sound from the same location.

Preferred Music

I listen to James Blunt, Boyce Avenue as well as Adele. I'm still experimenting with many musical tastes, I enjoy acoustics though I've been trying out listening to classics and instrumentals as well.

I find really fast-paced music disliked, such as some of Justin Timberlake's recent music where the voice is underwhelmed by the instruments.

United Kingdom. I shop on Amazon.co.uk.

I actually bought the HD598's and now I have budget for the HD600/650 even. I'm hoping for these headphones to last me a while and I am thinking of returning the 598's for the either and saving up for an amp in the future. No DAC because apparently the MacBook Pro has really good DACs.

Thanks for your input! More questions are welcome :)

I disagree with the other poster, you don't *need* an amp for the HD600 or 650, and they will run fine straight out of a macbook. (I have a HD650 and a recent macbook pro; I used to own a HD600.)

They will improve when amplified further (although in my experience not by a huge amount - they still sound like the same headphones).

Also, ignore the 'veiled' description. The HD600 isn't veiled at all and has a natural, balanced sound with a slight warmth in the mid-bass region. The latest HD650 is very similar, with a touch more warmth and slightly recessed high-end (all the detail is still there though.)

They both have an awesome midrange and are glorious with vocals and acoustic music.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 9
The 600 is in a class higher than the 598. The soundstage is smaller but it's easier to tell the location of the instruments. There is more instrument separation, more resolution, and richer sound with more energy than the 598. Apple computers have very high quality audio components. You will not need an amp for these. You can buy an amp if you want to spend money but I bet you can't tell the difference. The 600's work well with any type of music and they are absolutely stellar with instrumental (such as acoustic), classical, and jazz. With any type of music, really. The clamp is tighter on the 600 but it gives you a better seal and more secure fit. There is no 'veil' on the 600.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 9
  Two things. You most certainly need an amp and the HD600/HD650 are not neutral and have a warmer more veiled sound.

Hi, thanks for your reply! Yeah that's one of my concerns, I'm looking to get an amp in the long run, looking at these as more of an official "upgrade path" as opposed to an initial headphone as a standalone unit.

Keep the hd598 and the money in your pocket.

Haha thanks, I thought about it too... it wouldn't hurt to give the 600/650 a try and return either since Amazon has a 30-day grace period :)

I disagree with the other poster, you don't *need* an amp for the HD600 or 650, and they will run fine straight out of a macbook. (I have a HD650 and a recent macbook pro; I used to own a HD600.)

They will improve when amplified further (although in my experience not by a huge amount - they still sound like the same headphones).

Also, ignore the 'veiled' description. The HD600 isn't veiled at all and has a natural, balanced sound with a slight warmth in the mid-bass region. The latest HD650 is very similar, with a touch more warmth and slightly recessed high-end (all the detail is still there though.)

They both have an awesome midrange and are glorious with vocals and acoustic music.

Hmmm, thanks for clarifying what I was not too sure of :) glad someone has a similar setup to give great advice. Thank you so much for this, much appreciated. I can buy these headphones and return them for a full refund within a month if I'm not satisfied, which of these do you think is more worth the money?

With regards to the amp I heard MBPs have stellar sound equipment but wasn't too sure for the amp-requirement, thanks for clarifying that too :)

Thank you again, and I do enjoy my acoustic music very much :p

Take a look at Soundmagic HP200.

Will do, thanks so much :)

The 600 is in a class higher than the 598. The soundstage is smaller but it's easier to tell the location of the instruments. There is more instrument separation, more resolution, and richer sound with more energy than the 598. Apple computers have very high quality audio components. You will not need an amp for these. You can buy an amp if you want to spend money but I bet you can't tell the difference. The 600's work well with any type of music and they are absolutely stellar with instrumental (such as acoustic), classical, and jazz. With any type of music, really. The clamp is tighter on the 600 but it gives you a better seal and more secure fit. There is no 'veil' on the 600.

Yeah the numbers make it scary, a +2 increase for £50 in price. Thanks for that clarification as well as for the note on the Apple part.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 9

Hmmm, thanks for clarifying what I was not too sure of :) glad someone has a similar setup to give great advice. Thank you so much for this, much appreciated. I can buy these headphones and return them for a full refund within a month if I'm not satisfied, which of these do you think is more worth the money?

With regards to the amp I heard MBPs have stellar sound equipment but wasn't too sure for the amp-requirement, thanks for clarifying that too :)

Thank you again, and I do enjoy my acoustic music very much :p

No problem, happy to help!

At current prices on amazon UK, I'd say the HD600 is the better deal. The latest versions of both sound very similar, and the HD650 is not really 'better' just a slightly darker version of the same sound. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 9
Oh - this is a good recent comparision of the HD600 & HD650:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

worth a read if you are considering one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back