Stax Transformer and Headphone Jack?? Please Help me!!!!
Sep 17, 2008 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Anyone whose bought a Stax system from PriceJapan,

I'm thinking of buying the Stax 2050A from PriceJapan, and they have an option of buy a transformer called Churi CCW100W. Does this allow me to use the system with an American (220V I believe) outlet? I'm a little confused. Sorry for my idiocy.

Also, once I buy the Stax system, I plan on just connecting it to my headphone jack on my laptop (that's what I normally do with my Grado Sr60 and my AT700). The previous headphones sound fine without any DAC (don't really know what that means) but I'm wondering if it is neccessary or can I just use my laptop soundcard? Sorry for being so naive.

Thanks!
happy_face1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 10
The amp for this unit runs from a 12 volt transformer and should come witha 12 volt power supply probably set for 100 volts which is the Japanese standard. You might get the Japanese 100-115 volt converter or just buy your own 12 volt transformer here.

While this unit will run from your haedphone socket (with the right plug, a dual RCA to miniplug) you will get better results from a line out socket which most laptops don't have, because the amp in the computer headphone section could add coloration.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 10
wait so the transformer i'm buying from the website does this or no?

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you will get better results from a line out socket which most laptops don't have, because the amp in the computer headphone section could add coloration.

Some laptops have configurable jacks. My low-end Acer has the option of switching from HP-out, line-out, and digital-out all from the same jack. I agree about the internal amps but that can be remedied with a USB sound adapter.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 10
Sep 17, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 10
i guess im kind of an idiot-- I'm guessing japan is 100volts? So since the US is 220volts, does the transformer change the volts from 220volts (from the us outlet) to the 100volts and that is why it is called stepdown?

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The US is 117v so you need a 50w step down transformer. More is better but not needed since the amp can only draw 12W

so if I'm understanding this correctly, the transformer at PriceJapan still works even though it is a 100w step down (im guessing its 100W from its name)

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 10
Voltage and wattage are different things. The Churi is a 117v to 100v stepdown transformer that can handle a maximum output of 100w. Using a 100w transformer on something that only requires 50w will not hurt your electronics or your person. 100w is more than the amp needs, but if you ever decide to change amps in the future you'd be able to use the same voltage transformer for a higher wattage amp. The Churi is also pretty heavy because we at kuboTEN.com have sold it in the past as well and it may cause an increase in your shipping fees from Japan.

You may be interested in this as an alternative to the Churi. I am not affiliated with the site, although I do direct my customers to it when a step-down solution is needed.
http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...ansformer.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back