Stax SRM-T2 for sale in Japan
Nov 28, 2003 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

spritzer

Member of the Trade: Mjölnir Audio
I just ran into this while I was browsing. It isn´t mine but I thought that some of you wanted to see Stax's best electrostatic amp.

SRM-T2 and Omega I

And yeah it is quite expensive.
eek.gif

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
Can any one translate the price or auction?

Uh oh.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 33
BUY IT NOW: 600000Yen = US $5454

YES, it is very expansive, but I know the retail price of the amp alone cost as much as this. Since I read the review of this amp in a Japanese web site before.......

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 33
Well, I did understand one part of the auction:

Quote:

Seller will not ship internationally.

evil_smiley.gif

Much as this is my dream amp and I would love to own it...$5k+ is a little out there for me. You could most likely get a Omega II, Omega I, Blue Hawaii, and KGSS all for that much.

Nov 28, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 33
As you can see from the picture, the amp have 2 parts: main amp and power supply. STAX build this amp during mid 90's, and they discontinue this model. Since they can not sell it for profit, the retail price of the amp is around 600000yen.

Nov 28, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 33
WOW!

Next to the Moth XANA, this might the most storied, yet seldom seen amplifier made. I seem to remember Dr. Gilmore asking to see internal pictures if anyone ever ran across one. I also seem to remember reading that the T2 inspired the Blue Hawaii. So it must be great.

I would suspect that if anyone outside Japan wanted this, the folks at EIFL or AudioCubes would probably arrange the transaction and shipping for a price.

I would also suspect that you could have a Blue Hawaii and a KGSS built for this price however. While I can't speak to the KGSS, the parts alone on the BH are very expensive.

Bozebuttons, if you buy this, tell us how it compares to your BH. Please!

Nov 30, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #11 of 33
What's up with Omega I? I havn't heard anybody talk about it really.

Nov 30, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by lan

Vertigo-1 owned it and the Omega II, and he sold off the Omega I. That tells me something about it. I think that the Omega I was better at certain things, but overall not as good as the II. Do a quick search on headwize and I think that Kevin Gilmore did a quick comparison where he also said the same thing: Omega II rules electrostatics. (Paraphrasing his words, not trying to take a jab at the Senn electrostatic owners.)

Nov 30, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by lan

May I recommend reading darth nut's original review on Headwize between the Omega Is and IIs.

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...=5117&fdays=20

I did own the Omega Is for several months, and I agree with everything darth nut mentioned in that review. His descriptions of everything are so parallel and accurate to what I've heard that it's frightening.

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by smokey
I seem to remember Dr. Gilmore asking to see internal pictures if anyone ever ran across one. I also seem to remember reading that the T2 inspired the Blue Hawaii. So it must be great.

IIRC Darth Nut obliged... and yeah, the Blue Hawaii was Kevin's attempt at making a T2 without ever having seen the guts of one...

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
IIRC Darth Nut obliged... and yeah, the Blue Hawaii was Kevin's attempt at making a T2 without ever having seen the guts of one...

Eric, has Kevin shown you my pics of the T2's inards yet?

LOL, I remember the heartache I felt when, in trying to unscrew the bottom cover, I damaged some of the screws. The screws for the bottom cover were made of such a soft material (Kevin says it's aluminium) that when I used the screwdriver the star became a circle. The top cover was secured with Allen screws, and those were easy to screw and unscrew.

BTW I think you and I have made Tolkien turn in his grave in the other thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back