STAX SRM-D10 Portable Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier / DAC
Jan 4, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #31 of 130
I've yet to use the D10's internal DAC; I'll try it when I get round to buying a suitable cable. I currently use it with the line output from a QLS QA361 and my L700mkII sounds great. Using the analogue input, rather than the digital, also extents the D10's pretty dreadful battery life.

Thank you. So using the analogue input of the D10 bypasses the internal dac?

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #33 of 130
This is a great combo for me, would say exceptional for the price, I keep volume at 12-13hr max. Internal Dac is good, but for me works better as pure amplifier, D10 sounds neutral to me, susceptible to the source and quality of recordings.
D10 drives well the Jade too, volume max 15hr.

IMG_20191227_085430 - Copy.jpg

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #34 of 130
In response to a previous post, the Chord Hugo2 seems like somewhat overkill on something that only costs $900. I wish the Mojo had rca or a fixed 3.5mm output. Not sure if I read this correctly in a previous review but...the 3.5mm earphones jacks will not work properly as a fixed signal output. I’d consider the RME ADI-2 DAC if it had portability.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #35 of 130
I’m wondering whether there is much benefit to using an external dac in my very elementary Stax set up, IPhone, D-10, L700s? If yes at what price level do I have to be at to surpass the dac performance in the d10? I’m also wondering if I’m running a dac into the D10 which already has a dac, do I run into any conflict problems?

ASR measurements have proven lately, that price does not correlate automatically with quality and performance in DACs. Even the iPhone USB dongle performs VERY well as a DAC and I am pretty sure that company like Stax doesn't mess up DAC implementations either.

I am very tempted to give the D10 a try. Too bad they don't seem to be around in the used gear market.

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #38 of 130
Thread has been very quiet for 7+ months...
I would love to try this little guy - anyone selling theirs by any chance?
Quick search through the FS section shows VERY few sold in the last year. I wonder if people are happy with it, or whether very few sold by Stax to begin with? :thinking:

Aug 18, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #39 of 130
Thread has been very quiet for 7+ months...
I would love to try this little guy - anyone selling theirs by any chance?
Quick search through the FS section shows VERY few sold in the last year. I wonder if people are happy with it, or whether very few sold by Stax to begin with? :thinking:
So the guy over at Z Reviews just did a review last week on the Stax D10 that he just received recently, it came new in an unopened box. A quarter of the way through the review he goes through the serial number and date code stamped on the unit. It’s September 2018, I think this answers your question. But to be clear, I’ve owned one, and it sounds exactly like you would expect from a Stax product, with the extra added luxury feature of mobility. Worth the $900 if you want mobile!

Aug 26, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #42 of 130
Just about to get a L700 Mark 11 and SRM-D10 combination but need some guidance re input.
I have a Astell&Kern SR 25 and want to know how to get the best output from it into the D10.
D10 will accept a USB-Audio input via its micro USB connector, or an analogue input via its 3.5mm socket. I use mine with the 2V line level output from a QLS QA361 and the L700II/D10 combo gets plenty loud at around 50% volume. I'm going to try it with an attenuated output to see, or rather hear, how the D10 sounds maxed out.

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #43 of 130
Just about to get a L700 Mark 11 and SRM-D10 combination but need some guidance re input.
I have a Astell&Kern SR 25 and want to know how to get the best output from it into the D10.
Do your homework on which dac is better, Stax or A&K? I’m guessing the SR 25 is and if you go that route use the 3.5 mm analog input so to by pass the D10 dac. You don’t need double conversion. But then again trying both inputs and listen to make sure.

I had been using mine with the Denafrips Ares II with really good results, much better than the internal Stax dac. But if I would have never tried an external dac I would have been happy regardless as it still offered the Stax house sound.

It’s also been said that volume knob rotation past noon only increases the high freq by +3 dB having no effect on the bottom end freq.

Peak at this...https://headfonics.com/2019/03/stax-srm-d10-first-contact/

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #45 of 130
Following!!! I have a D10 with L500 MKii on the way and I am really excited to get into the stax world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back